View Single Post
Old 17th May 2021, 21:44

Default Re: Freedom from anxiety, after 10 years searching. My story and offer of support..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
What you describe there sounds very like the Eckart Tolle stuff or Buddhism in general.

Something along the lines of all suffering comes from resisting what is.

Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional etc.

It does sound interesting, but I'll be impressed if you can teach enlightenment to people!

And if you can, that it is enough to overcome mental illness. Or do you not consider social anxiety to be a mental illness? Or is your "approach" not aimed at people with serious anxiety?
It is my experience that all spiritual texts point ultimately to the same thing, the same unchanging universal truth, that countless civilisations have pointed to, through the ages.
Fortunately, enlightenment isn’t necessary in overcoming anxiety

Just the seeing or realisation of what is true in relation to the experience of anxiety, is all that is needed. And that is very achievable. It is not some grand experience saved only for certain people, but available and accessible to every single one of us. But that is not something I can teach, only wake someone to what they already know, but seemed to have been forgotten. That is why this is so powerful, I can only point someone to look for themselves, and when they do, they begin to discover what is true, in their direct experience. Not because it is a good idea, or because someone else said so, but because they know it for themselves.

It would depend on someone’s definition of mental illness, but I don’t think of social anxiety as a mental illness, such as schizophrenia as an example. What i’m offering is applicable to anyone, whatever their degree of anxiety. That is not to say certain ‘methods’ such as exposure therapy aren’t helpful in this process, I have found they are, but they can only ever treat the symptoms and never address the true root of anxiety, never bring true freedom that we all desire and deserve to experience.