View Single Post
Old 28th March 2023, 18:47

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: What didn't you know until recently?

^
I have had a lot of practice at changing wheels. My record at work is less than 4 minutes for a wheel swap, but then sometimes I'm changing a dozen wheels a week. It's a lot easier when all the cars are the same make and model and we have a dozen spares sitting in the garage just to swap.

But that is really cheating, as I have the spare on the bumper ready to roll straight into place. Plus the fact that I have ab electric air gun to undo the bolts/nuts and put them back on again.

Nut should always be torqued when you replace the wheel, otherwise if you over tighten them snapped bolt/thread or damaged alloy wheel.

The hardest part is usually getting the wheel off the stub, especially if it hasn't been off for 18 months. You new a block of wood and a big hammer to to bash the rim until it cracks the seal.

Trouble is most new cars only have a spare wheel as an optional extra, and on Vauxhalls if you but a spare and it is not registered to the car, you get a permanent warning light and it shows no reading for that wheel.