SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th October 2019, 10:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default 20 days to see a GP

Due to my getting pain in my right hip and lower right back, when in bed , my stepdaughter made a doctor's appointment for me yesterday. The pain continues for a while after I get up.

The appt is for Nov 5th, ie 20 days from when she phoned to make it for me .
Old 17th October 2019, 11:37

Default Re: 20 days to see a GP

Sadly, I think it's quite common to have to wait two, three or even four weeks for an appointment.
Old 17th October 2019, 11:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ It's a situation that's got steadily worse over the last 30 years or so. Maybe more people have health problems nowadays as a percentage of the total population.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:12

It's mainly to do with the growing demographic problem - too many old people with increasingly complex medical needs. The NHS has become a victim of its own success.
Old 17th October 2019, 12:38

My doctor's surgery has a number of appointment slots set aside for on-the-day emergency consultations. These slots aren't generally publicised but one can be obtained if you insist. Might be worth a shot if your surgery has a similar policy. Good luck!!
Old 17th October 2019, 13:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ I don't think it would qualify as an emergency.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:22

^ Perhaps not, but a slight embellishment of the symptoms to the receptionist might help. A 20 day wait for an appointment is unacceptable IMO and any ruse to reduce that works for me.
Old 17th October 2019, 13:52

Mood
Relaxed

^ Clogging up an emergency slot could stop a genuine emergency case from being seen.
Old 17th October 2019, 14:10

My experience of the doctors has unfortunately plummeted over the last few years, to such an extent that I would say the system is a failure and unless the people running it are incompetent, it's been designed intentionally to be that way.

Up until a couple of years ago, I didn't mind waiting 3-4 weeks for an appointment.

Fair enough I thought, there are priority appointments set aside each day. And unless you need them, due to the strains on the NHS, I'll be patient and wait. My appointments were infrequent and for a long-term and managed condition. An appointment where I needed to review things with my doctor, once a year, unless there were any changes. It's not a problem to book 4 weeks in advance at all for me.

However, things have changed. The surgery has new management and new systems. It's now increasingly difficult to even get an appointment for 4 weeks time. There is a game to play, a battle of wits between the patient and the receptionist. It's becoming a hostile environment, similar to the stories I've heard about the job centre.
Old 17th October 2019, 14:32
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
^ Clogging up an emergency slot could stop a genuine emergency case from not being seen.
I don't dispute that. The way things are though it's a case of 2-4 week wait vs emergency appt with little falling in between those points.
Old 17th October 2019, 14:53

Mood
Cynical

Wow, that's such a long time. I really think that a lot of doctors surgeries don't have good appointment systems and they could make changes to make things much better.

Where I go they only release appointments for that day and the next day, so you get an appointment for very soon and people are much less likely to forget about them or miss them (added to that you get a reminder text when you make the appointment and another one on the day!). Doctors themselves can make appointments for people further out but I guess that means they can judge whether someone is likely to come back in a number of weeks time or not. There's also a good online appointment system where you can make appointments with any of the nurses and for the first hour or the last hour of the day with a doctor.
Old 17th October 2019, 15:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

The symptoms are real, though definitely playing into my intermittent health anxiety. That being that something really serious is going on .
Old 17th October 2019, 15:17

Mood
Cynical

^ Yes, if you're having pain it needs to be looked at by a doctor.
Old 17th October 2019, 15:23

^ That does seem like the most sensible approach. As well as treating people more urgently, it means people won't book appointments and then not bother going. Something like 5-10% of booked appointments are missed.
Old 17th October 2019, 16:30

Yes I've started just turning up when the surgery opens and queuing at reception. If you try ringing up at the same time there's already about 30 people in the queue ahead of you and there's zero chance to get an appointment within a couple of weeks. I don't get to see my own GP though which doesn't bother me, but might do for other people.
Old 5th November 2019, 14:55

Mood
Mellow

Red face Re: 20 days to see a GP

I was thinking of going private because I have the same issues with NHS GPs and I'm genuinely not well most of the time with lots of different things that haven't been properly diagnosed yet

But saying that I have no idea how private medical insurance works and weather they would accept me based on pre existing conditions (despite the NHS not having a clue what's up with me and referring me to all the wrong people).

Oh and my mental health has nose dived again to the point I can't cope with working full time so I'll need to do something about that too
Old 5th November 2019, 15:50
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

GP did some basic tests of my back,hips and spine . There’s no arthritis . He thinks there’s some wear and tear at the base of my spine .

He asked if I exercised much,to which I said “No” . He said it was refreshing to hear someone be honest about that .

He says exercise may hurt in the short term but will be beneficial in the long term.
Old 5th November 2019, 16:31

Mood
Cynical

^ No arthritis is good news!
There's that Asperger's honesty
Old 5th November 2019, 16:44
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

My area has started doing Sat and sun clinics or hubs. So you can get an appointment at a hub (when I went it was actually in my surgery but I get the feeling they may move location) as long as you have have had the problem/ailment for less than 4 weeks. Worked quite well for me and my neck.
Old 5th November 2019, 18:07

Mood
Cynical

^ The surgery that my partner used to go to had that system too. It was alright if you just need a quick word about something simple, but if it's anything personal you don't really want to be talking about that on the phone necessarily!
Old 5th November 2019, 18:14
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I'm lucky my surgery has resisted the phone triage thing, well so far.
Old 5th November 2019, 18:50
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

My surgery uses both the telephone triage system and also an online system called Ask my GP, neither of which I think are very helpful.
Who wants to be discussing personal health issues on the phone while you're at work etc.
The online system is okay for simple things and also bypasses the snooping receptionist but I find it long winded and also it's no use to some of the elderly population who are not computer literate.

Bring back the good old days when you could phone up and book a face to face appointment with your own doctor and not have to wait for 3 weeks.
Old 5th November 2019, 19:59

Mood
Cynical

^ My surgery still has the system of making appointments by phone (or online now too) I feel so lucky, I hope they never change it!