SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: should the meets section be restricted to members only?
yes 41 68.33%
no 19 31.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th May 2008, 23:15

Mood
Brooding

Default Re: Should the meets section be restricted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehoven
Not at all. That's actually a rather silly conclusion to draw.
I'm interested to discover how many people who have or intend to attend meets whether they had issues with this. After all, it is they who are facing the "potential threat" at meets. I simply don't think that others here who never intend to go to meets but want access to it restricted because of paranoia or whatever should override the wishes of regular attenders.

I really don't understand - access wouldn't be restricted to anyone who is a member. Surely almost all (if not all) regular meet attenders are already members of the site. So who's losing out exactly? And who are those who 'never attend but want access restricted out of paranoia'? How do you know that group of people even exists? And if you feel safe with everyone knowing about a meet, is that the only valid opinion there is? Let the majority decide is my view.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:16

Mood
Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by manks
Even the most special of potential rapists/weirdo’s/stalkers could work out that a forum titled meets is going to contain details of meets.

No?
Yes indeed, but if they can't see the content, they wouldn't be able to glean any useful information. Is that not the case?
Old 19th May 2008, 23:36

Mood
Brooding

Quote:
What I was getting at is it wouldn't take them 5 minutes to sign up and view the meets. Sorry I didn't think I needed to be so padantic.
Hate to go round in circles, but if you're now saying that it's so easy for non-members to sign up and find out about the meets even with the restriction, why is there even an issue? Everyone else knows that as well as you and I, so why would introducing the restriction create the unneccessary paranoia you referred to earlier? That argument is mind-reading everyone who attends meets and assuming they will start to feel scared because of what might be 'out there'. The way I see it there's no harm in taking resonable safety steps, but at the same time there's no need to get unduly worried.

Quote:
The people that are losing out are the ones that don***8217;t (for whatever reason) feel comfortable signing up to a website, but are comfortable with going along to a meet.
It's possible there might be one or two like that, but I can't see why signing up to the site but not posting anything (you wouldn't have to to see the meets) would be a cause for anxiety. And this is a very different argument from the 'paranoia' you and cheesehoven have both mentioned. If it's a choice between reasonable safety for members, and access for non-members, I'll come down on the side of safety for members every time.

That's my case anyway, people can make up their own minds and vote on the poll.
Old 19th May 2008, 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand680
I really don't understand - access wouldn't be restricted to anyone who is a member. Surely almost all (if not all) regular meet attenders are already members of the site. So who's losing out exactly? And who are those who 'never attend but want access restricted out of paranoia'? How do you know that group of people even exists? And if you feel safe with everyone knowing about a meet, is that the only valid opinion there is? Let the majority decide is my view.
I'd rather take my chances with a potential nutcase at a meet(very unlikely) than the very real prospect of powermad modding in restricted areas.

Yes I agree that the majority should decide -the majority of meet attendees, not Onanistic observers. What I actually wrote above was 'never attend but want access restricted out of paranoia or whatever'. Please do not misquote me. Paranoia is just one faulty reason why someone would want to see the meet details restricted but as can be seen above, it is the main objection ('I don't want it googleable' etc).
Old 19th May 2008, 23:54

Mood
Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehoven
I'd rather take my chances with a potential nutcase at a meet(very unlikely) than the very real prospect of powermad modding in restricted areas.
That's your choice and you're free to make it.

Quote:
Yes I agree that the majority should decide -the majority of meet attendees, not Onanistic observers. What I actually wrote above was 'never attend but want access restricted out of paranoia or whatever'. Please do not misquote me.
Paranoia is just one faulty reason why someone would want to see the meet details restricted but as can be seen above, it is the main objection ('I don't want it googleable' etc).
You don't know how many meet attenders voted on the poll - maybe they ALL attend meets, or have at least once? In any case there's no way to determine that for certain.

As it happens, I don't particularly want it Googleable. Does that make me paranoid? If it does in your opinion, then so be it. Don't expect me to accept your value judgements as facts though.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:10

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
I’d suggest that the main reason people don’t want their photo’s taken at meets and put on the site, is more to do with the fact they don’t actually like having their photo taken and have a fear being judged on who they are rather than where they are and who they’re with. They also might want to have some control over which photo’s are going to be posted, (‘my bum looks big in that one’)

If you’re so intent on taking pictures at meets there’s no harm in posting them in a separate thread in the photo’s section.

Actually I fit into the category of not wanting to have my photo taken just because I don't want my SA disclosed. Its taken me three years of membership to even post my photo in the photo section. And that was only because I didn't realise it was members only lol.

I'd be miffed in someone posted a meet photos in the meet section with me in the photos. Once that informations out there it's in the public domain and can't be taken back. I had problems in my last job where a certain individual was into the habit of googling my name and email address and joining various forums that I was a member of and trying to troll me! Luckily he didn't know my main email because I was shocked when I googled it and the top result came back SAUK! It took me 4 months to get google to remove it. If that had come out I would have suffered a shitstorm at work guaranteed.

But as for making the meets members only, I really can't see how it can do much harm to leave it unrestricted. Is someone going to go to the trouble of tracking someone down at a specific location to hassle them? We're anonymous anyway, so who do they even know who to look for? If the meets do become members only it won't affect me personally either way, I'm just against it on principle.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:35

Why is this such a big deal?

I couldn't give a toss whether it's restricted or not (and yes, I go to meets). Yes, restricting the meets section won't really prevent any "weirdos" from attending... *cough*... but if it makes some members here feel a bit more at ease when attending a meet (which, I'm guessing from the results of the poll thus far, would do), then is it really such an issue to go through with restricting it?
Old 20th May 2008, 14:37

Mood
Curious

^ pretty much sums it up.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:41

Mood
Cool

Depends how you look at it, if people are worried about even the slightest possibility of being tracked down in person at meets because of the views or opinions they've expressed on here or because they're worried about people finding out about their SA and this is putting them off attending meets then it should be made members only.

Is this happening here? Has this view been brought up before on SAUK whereby a member has complained about the possibility of being tracked down?
Old 21st May 2008, 03:15
Deepest Blue

I don't think it should be restricted. If someone was adamant enough to want to attend, they will find some way of doing so regardless, they would have heard that SAUK do meets from somewhere or someone and register with SAUK to find out the details. The only way to curtail this would be to not only create the forum as private but also have an alloted post count, say 100, before they could enter that forum (or thread). That would be a way around it, but then again, who's to say that any new member couldn't PM someone else and ask for the details?

As I never attend these meets, I don't know how it all works, but I am sure if someone wanted to attend they would find some way to.
Old 21st May 2008, 03:51

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose
I once accidently posted a photo in the meets section of a meet i had been on. The guy went mad in the pms saying that people could google him and find is photo and even asked me to delete it from my photobucket account. A bit over the top I thought but as so many people are so nervous about having their cover blown, i think we should respect their wishes
Yeah, i remember.
Closed Thread