Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 26th June 2010, 18:30

Mood
Fine

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

a colleague from another european office came into our london offices yesterday (he did not say he'd be coming) and i answered the door when he rang the bell downstairs. i immediately had a panic attack meaning my heart started racing, i thought it would be jumping out of me any second, and i started shaking a lil bit :rolleyes: i expected the worst but as soon as he was upstairs and started talking to me i could relax and was able to hold a bit of small talk for several minutes also i had the impression he was quite pleased to meet me and liked our conversation
Old 26th June 2010, 18:33

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbjovi
I went to a sa support group. argh, sat here now at home and cant actually beleive i stayed the whole 2hrs
Feeling glad i went.
well done, honestly i admire you for that as i dont feel confident enougn to join a sa support group, although i would really like to.
Old 26th June 2010, 18:45

Mood
Mellow

I started me job. It was well daunting and I think that I made mistakes - and fear that I will be making more - and am not looking forward to going in tomorrow - but, hey, I survived.
Old 28th June 2010, 06:37

Mood
Breezy

^ Well done!

I went for a meal with family the other day. It was around a small table, which was a big challenge and meant directly facing others. In the past I would have let the situation beat me and would have walked out with my head hung low, but I managed to do the opposite. It wasn't easy and I felt fumbling and anxious at times, however, I challenged the negative thoughts. It helped me realise how scrutinized I can feel in those kinds of situations if something is going not quite right, so I've been able to pinpoint some things I need to work on.
Old 28th June 2010, 09:56

nowadays am taking the train like a seasoned traveller, which is a good thing because I'll have to take a train from Manc all the way to Heathrow in Sept. Why o why didn't I learn to handle the trains sooner?? now i'm kickin my ass. oh well.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:12

I went out for a short cycle yesterday and actually quite enjoyed most of it. It was the first time I'd been out in ages.
Old 29th June 2010, 22:28

Mood
Fine

Good work hgraham, I find trains a nightmare!

And well done PorkChop too, were you cycling in the country, or urban, or both? I can't imagine riding a bike on roads with cars and stuff, it would really stress me out I think!
Old 29th June 2010, 23:46

Mood
Tired

Today I did some volunteer work for the first time, at a local nature reserve/woodland walk. I quite enjoyed the actual work - clearing away weeds etc, picking up litter - though I did get a fair few nettle stings Break times were awkward with the others chatting and me saying nothing, though I didn't really feel that awkward and no-one seemed to mind me being there. So progress I guess
Old 30th June 2010, 21:29

Have just about got my new phone up and working (need to wait about two days now), despite having to call up a total of three support numbers (ugh) and speak with the people on the other end.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:31

^ marathon phone work. well done!
Old 1st July 2010, 00:49

I already alluded to this in the 'How is everyone feeling?' thread, but it seemed worth going into detail here.

This evening I went along to a Jive dancing lesson. I've never really done any dancing before. The whole idea of it frightens me. Especially dancing with partners like this.

I only learned yesterday that this place was running a free session this evening. I decided then that it would probably be a good idea to do it, but I've never done anything like it before and I was really scared. Not only scared of how it would go, but also scared that I'd chicken out and not go, which I knew I'd end up hating myself for.

But I didn't chicken out. I went along and I had a fairly good time. I'm now trying to decide whether to start going regularly. I'd like to, but it does cost and it clashes with something else I do occasionally on a Wednesday. So I'm not sure yet.
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:05

So I failed my driving test again yesterday, not much of an achievement I know, but I booked another test as soon as I got home. After I had a cry and a moan about how I'm never gonna be good enough blah blah blah etc etc. So that's one better than the last time I failed where I gave up for 7 months. I was really annoyed at having to wait 8 weeks for the next available test but have been checking back now and then and I have already managed to get one for 5 weeks away instead. Hopefully a closer one will appear soon as I really don't want to leave me not driving for so long this time. I actually wanna get out there and get it done!

I also pushed myself to go out for a cycle with my boyfriend today. Didn't enjoy it as much as I have done but that was just partly because I was feeling a bit ill. I'm now home though and feeling a lot better and glad that I went out.
Old 3rd July 2010, 18:43

^ well done for trying, PorkChop!
I've never even applied for my provisional licence
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:46

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNotAPorkChop
So I failed my driving test again yesterday, not much of an achievement I know, but I booked another test as soon as I got home. After I had a cry and a moan about how I'm never gonna be good enough blah blah blah etc etc. So that's one better than the last time I failed where I gave up for 7 months. I was really annoyed at having to wait 8 weeks for the next available test but have been checking back now and then and I have already managed to get one for 5 weeks away instead. Hopefully a closer one will appear soon as I really don't want to leave me not driving for so long this time. I actually wanna get out there and get it done!

I also pushed myself to go out for a cycle with my boyfriend today. Didn't enjoy it as much as I have done but that was just partly because I was feeling a bit ill. I'm now home though and feeling a lot better and glad that I went out.
Well done misschop for booking another. You have to just keep taking them until you pass. Not everybody passes first time..i didnt.

The sligtest of errors can fail you..though it doesn't mean YOU are a failure..nor does it mean you're a bad driver. I know this from my own experience of taking lessons/test. I was perfect with my instructor...then a bag of nerves with the final test examiner. It's just how we are sometimes. Then i toughened up..and became even more determined.

When your next test comes up...just be very determined..in fighting spirit. Dont let any outside distraction put you off...and dont be afraid of the judgement on your driving. Stay focused and relaxed. Complete concentration on the road and the car..and give yourself the best chance possible. The test isnt long compared to your whole life..so just block everything out..and dont forget that fighting spirit. Tell yourself over and over 'You will do it'.

Good luck
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelFendersson
I already alluded to this in the 'How is everyone feeling?' thread, but it seemed worth going into detail here.

This evening I went along to a Jive dancing lesson. I've never really done any dancing before. The whole idea of it frightens me. Especially dancing with partners like this.

I only learned yesterday that this place was running a free session this evening. I decided then that it would probably be a good idea to do it, but I've never done anything like it before and I was really scared. Not only scared of how it would go, but also scared that I'd chicken out and not go, which I knew I'd end up hating myself for.

But I didn't chicken out. I went along and I had a fairly good time. I'm now trying to decide whether to start going regularly. I'd like to, but it does cost and it clashes with something else I do occasionally on a Wednesday. So I'm not sure yet.
Well done for going!
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitri
Well done for going!
Thanks.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSeeker
Well done misschop for booking another. You have to just keep taking them until you pass. Not everybody passes first time..i didnt.

The sligtest of errors can fail you..though it doesn't mean YOU are a failure..nor does it mean you're a bad driver. I know this from my own experience of taking lessons/test. I was perfect with my instructor...then a bag of nerves with the final test examiner. It's just how we are sometimes. Then i toughened up..and became even more determined.

When your next test comes up...just be very determined..in fighting spirit. Dont let any outside distraction put you off...and dont be afraid of the judgement on your driving. Stay focused and relaxed. Complete concentration on the road and the car..and give yourself the best chance possible. The test isnt long compared to your whole life..so just block everything out..and dont forget that fighting spirit. Tell yourself over and over 'You will do it'.

Good luck
Thank you. I am very determined to pass now, I know I can do it and I think thats the right attitude to have. I'm just gonna keep booking tests until I pass now, well, until I run out of monies too I guess. Hopefully the next time will be the time I pass, but if not it's fine I will just book another.

Positiveness! I guess thats an achievement I've had today. Also I pushed myself to go meet my boyfriend at the train station today, on my bike. It was the first time I'd gone out on my bike alone, I had to go through the middle of the city too, so proud of myself. I also managed to say thank you to people for letting me ride past them when they move out the way, usually I just cycle on by and not say anything.

I plugged my mic in on my xbox earlier and was talking to my brother-in-law and brothers mates etc. Usually I don't plug it in as I'm so scared to speak to people, but I did it and I was fine with it.

It's been a good day.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:11

Mood
Melancholy

I went on an plane for the first time in 4 years. For along time I was agoraphobic and could not even go on a bus as I was scared of being trapped. So to be stuck on an hour and a half flight where you can't get off if you change your mind was huge deal for me, especially not doing it for four years. I am actually really proud of myself for once
Old 7th July 2010, 12:19

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everleigh
I went on an plane for the first time in 4 years. For along time I was agoraphobic and could not even go on a bus as I was scared of being trapped. So to be stuck on an hour and a half flight where you can't get off if you change your mind was huge deal for me, especially not doing it for four years. I am actually really proud of myself for once
Well done on facing your fears! Have a cake on me
Old 9th July 2010, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everleigh
Well done!

Did you go somewhere nice?
Old 9th July 2010, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveGirl
I took pics all evening and showed them to some people on MSN
I didn't want to but was badgered in to it and received nice comments (out of kindness probably) so it's a step in the right direction exposure wise. One was even with my hair tied back instead of out and hiding part of me.
I hate it but trying to overcome my photo phobia
Great.

Putting pics online is really hard when you first do it, but like most things, it seems a lot easier to do once you've done it once and the world hasn't collapsed on itself like you expected it to do.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:44

I went to the pub this afternoon. I only stayed for about half an hour , but its still a pretty big thing for me.
Old 12th July 2010, 02:09

Mood
Fine

^ Very good work mate. :trophy2: Pubs are my worst nightmare, so well done!!!
Old 12th July 2010, 11:11

After going to a fair few in the past month, pubs have become pretty easy for me to handle now. Talking to strangers in them (bar staff excepted) is another matter, though.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:03

Mood
Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk.09
Well done!

Did you go somewhere nice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLeaves
Well done on facing your fears! Have a cake on me
thanks for the replies
I forgot I posted on this thread and just came back and saw the replies now!
Old 15th July 2010, 17:09

Mood
Mellow

I had a proactive day yesterday (Wednesday) - I met up with a friend for tea in a cafe, another friend came around my place for a visit and a chat. My housemate returned from being away and we had a nice chat also, then in the evening I went to a rock gig on my own and had a great time. Now today I'm back to my old routine of sitting on my ass alone but still I'm happy with myself that I can get out and do things when given the opportunity to interact and communicate with people.
Old 16th July 2010, 23:15

Mood
Melancholy

I had a personal training session last night

Just trying to build up the courage to go to the gym tomorrow on my own for the first time. Hopefully I'll go and be able to post on here tomorrow.
Old 16th July 2010, 23:32

My son recently did a sponsored thingy. If you raised a certain amount you got a prize. Weeeell today they were handing out the prizes and he didn't get anything He's quite an anxious lad, and so hadn't said anything when they were handing them out. When I picked him up, he was looking sadly at the other children playing with their prizes and then told me what had happened. Despite the SA I marched straight back into school with him to try and find out what had happened. Turns out it was an admin error but they had some spare stuff, which they gave him, so he hasn't dipped out. I was shaky and whatnot, but determined. I'm just so glad I managed to do it.
Old 17th July 2010, 00:32

Mood
Blah

Aswell as you should be proud of yourself..your son will be proud of you, too. Well done Azi
Old 18th July 2010, 17:52

Mood
Blah

Spent near 5 hrs in childrens a&e with Thomas. Had couple hrs in waiting room then seen doc and had to wait another few hours to see registra but all sorted in the end. Exhausted but managed to do it on my daily meds and didn't have to touch diazepam
which is normally what I always take in this sort of situation.