Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th September 2023, 11:39
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

Got a msg from a friend who I used to be a Mind service user with. One of the guys I used to go on walks with, along with the friend who msgd has lung cancer. But he has gone down hill rapidly. They've stopped all treatment and just giving him morphine patches. He can only breathe from one lung now. It's very sad. Life can be so cruel - he's had a shit life and finally found some contentment moving to this particular town, then gets stage 4 cancer.
Sometimes I do wonder what its all about.
Old 16th September 2023, 13:03

Mood
Cynical

^ That's really sad, sometimes I don't know why life goes the way it does either
Old 16th September 2023, 14:52

Holy heck. I found a me-double on a dating site. There is hope for me yet. Hopefully she doesn’t get too many matches.
Old 16th September 2023, 15:58

^ aw that is nice. Have you matched with her?
Old 16th September 2023, 16:35

Not yet. Fingers crossed.
Old 16th September 2023, 17:32

something people are not aware of is that we weren't evolve to contemplate philosophical dilemmas, our human brain wasn't wired to solve mathematical algorithms. matter of fact, everything around you screams "pass your ****ing genes on, that's what you are here for".

i know A lot people won't admit it, but let's compare the amount of dopamine released in the brain when-imaginary example- when your crush asks to sit on your face Vs. when reading a book!

not that i hate reading, but the feeling you get when reading a book isn't real happiness, to me it's kind of escapism. on the other hand, the feeling a woman gets when she's told "you're pretty" now that is real happiness.
and this explains the billions of dollars spent on beauty products/plastic surgeries every year.

more knowledge won't make you a happier person simply because that's not why we are here for.

A scientist isn't happy because of what he knows, most likely he's just enjoying his high social status and privileges.
Old 16th September 2023, 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps
everything around you screams "pass your ****ing genes on, that's what you are here for".
it always appears as if it's just a problem of 20 years old people who just want to get laid, but actually the system won't reward you well when you are old and alone without a son/daughter to help and take care of you in your old age.
Old 16th September 2023, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
Not yet. Fingers crossed.
I'll be hoping for you.

Where I live, they do singles nights at board game cafes. Do they do anything similar near to you? I've never been to one, but it sounds a little less intimidating than a date-date. Unless the person is ultra competitive
Old 16th September 2023, 19:57

oh that's interesting, I do like about one in 5 board games.
Old 17th September 2023, 00:58

Mood
Breezy

Looking forward to seeing this.
Old 17th September 2023, 17:46

Quote:
For those in the past, the concept of the color blue might not have existed at all.
Quote:
Ancient civilizations had no word for the color blue. It was the last color to appear in many languages, including Greek, Chinese, Japanese, and Hebrew. In The Odyssey, Homer describes the “wine-dark” sea. According to one linguist, every culture begins with words for dark and light.
Quote:
Ancient languages, for instance, didn't have a word for blue and scientists believe as a result our ancestors didn't notice the colour even existed.
Old 17th September 2023, 17:48

"Almost without exception, blue refers to the domain of abstraction and immateriality." ___ Wassily Kandinsky.

Old 17th September 2023, 18:14

Mood
Breezy

Apparently i look like a shoplifter. I've just been followed around Spar by a security guard.
Old 17th September 2023, 18:55

Paying to track subscriptions which you are probably trying to save money on.

Old 17th September 2023, 18:58

Managing money, multiple accounts.
Old 17th September 2023, 19:07

What I can do to lose 3-4kg. Thinking about this while I eat multiple Aldi milk chocolate oaty biscuits. It’s the thought that counts right? Ugh. Also just put on ‘Sum of all fears’ which I’ve never seen before so wondering if this will be good enough to distract me from several more biscuits that are silently flirting with me on the table.
Old 17th September 2023, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
Apparently i look like a shoplifter. I've just been followed around Spar by a security guard.
That happened to me once, Percy. Although my security guard was from iceland. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking matchmaking!

"Do you, spar security guard, take iceland security guard, to be your wedded truncheon!"

Anyway, if that happens again, I would do a bit of role reversal and start following the security guard around the store. Although he might call for backup. At which point, I would start following the police officer around the store. Of course that could also go wrong. So on reflection, there seems to be a lot of holes in this plan! I'm sorry about that, Percy.
Old 17th September 2023, 20:24

Mood
Breezy

That's alright Chess, thanks for trying.
Old 17th September 2023, 20:37

Ugh, let's redo the weekend, i think i got it wrong...
Old 17th September 2023, 20:38

Old 17th September 2023, 21:14
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Not looking forward to work tomorrow. Still haven't got my case study done. And i'm over the deadline. Not because its hard or difficult to do but because I've had no or limited access recently to service users for co production.
I have sort of done one using a persons record but it feels a bit false. It feels better that it should come from the person themselves.

I suspect I'm going to get a minor bollocking from C tomorrow though.
Old 17th September 2023, 21:40

Mood
Cynical

^ Do you have to sort of interview a service user? It's not your fault if you haven't had the access to be able to do that recently, surely.
Old 17th September 2023, 22:12
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ Yeah kind of. We have a template of sorts to ask people questions related to the service - and their story. You can supposedly, co-produce with the service user, get a s/u to fill in one independently or use a s/u record to produce one. The preferred is co production.
I've had a weeks a/l, a bank holiday and a day off sick, plus a day where the non group time I had to cover someone else's group instead. Plus, two groups with no attendees (there brand new and have yet to be promoted properly) so it's not been easy. I also only work limited hours. I did discuss this in supervision and my new line manager agreed but said it was the other line managers thing and she didn't want to step on her toes however she said she was going to discuss it with the other manager - C - as other people were having problems too. Later that afternoon we all got, what I felt, was a bit of a shitty email from C telling us to prioritise are time. So, I don't think she's to sympathetic!
Old 18th September 2023, 13:04

housemate had her door open, and she was having a loud conversation. I put my radio on high see if she got the message. Nope because it turns out as a quiet person, my efforts of a radio on high didn't even reach the hallway. It was only when I came back from a shower, my door was open with radio on loud and she got the message.
Old 18th September 2023, 18:12
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Well sent my case study. C was alright about I guess. Seemed to think it was ok given I hadn't sat down with a service user. Just a comment about next time try to get a service user in the time frame.
Old 19th September 2023, 12:02

There was some small talk at the beginning of a work Teams call back in July where a woman mentioned she had been to a festival that weekend, and the some guy said "Which festival was it?" and she continued talking, obviously having not heard him. Then when there was a moment of silence he asked again, but someone else started talking at the same time, so the woman still didn't hear. He didn't ask again and the conversation moved onto something else. Just a small, inconsequential awkward moment. It just makes me think the advice of forgetting/moving on from little awkward moments because nobody else remembers them, which used to give me comfort sometimes after having them myself, is probably nonsense. This happened over two months ago and I'm still cringing at the thought of it, and it didn't even happen to me.
Old 19th September 2023, 13:17

^ does it matter to him that you still remember though?
I've still got highly awkward nteractions I made from years ago lodged in my brain up against the shame button, every time I move my head a bit too fast it starts reminding me of that stupid thing I did once. Wish I could purge the lot with fire.
Old 19th September 2023, 13:41

^^ I'm absolutely positive that you're an exception in this regard. Very, very few people will be thinking about someone else's 'cringe' months on after the fact.
Old 19th September 2023, 14:14

I suppose he might not be aware that anyone remembers, or might not care if they do, but the fact that I do made me realise the "forget about it, nobody else will remember" advice is no longer a way of alleviating anxiety over my own similar experiences because there's a chance someone will. All that's left now, besides people who might remember anything dying, is trying to keep in mind our cosmic insignificance.

It was just odd being on the other side of it as it happened, rather than hearing about it happening to someone after the fact. Maybe I was putting my own feelings of the situation onto him that day and he doesn't even remember himself that it happened. I imagine I will still be thinking of this in 10 years though. If I am maybe I'll look him up and send him a message saying "Hey, remember in July 2023 when you asked someone what festival they went to and they didn't hear you?"
Old 19th September 2023, 14:21

Mood
Cynical

^ You could also try reframing it, as in even if a few people do remember does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Probably not. Most people have incidents that are much more embarrassing than that that people do remember and just have to let go of the terrible feeling of cringe over time.