SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you on the autism spectrum?
Yes I was diagnosed as an adult. 8 24.24%
Yes I was diagnosed in childhood. 1 3.03%
I suspect I may be. 11 33.33%
No, I am not autistic. 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd August 2022, 15:52

Mood
Balanced

Default Re: Are you Autistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ As you can see there are many members here who have been assessed and diagnosed as autistic in adulthood, or suspect that they may be autistic. It is very interesting.
It is very interesting. It seems that socially anxious people can also exhibit several autistic traits as well (which is my experience). Therefore, yeah it seems many of us are now trying to join the dots together by asking the question and seeking a diagnosis.

It will just be a case of whether I meet enough of the criteria to receive a diagnosis now.
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:01

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
^ There is a clear diagnosis process and criteria to meet the diagnosis, it's just that there is more awareness now that autistic people don't just fit one very narrow stereotype. (It's been very interested to me over the past few years finding out about this too.)

It's never been the case that autistic people didn't have empathy, infact some autistic people are hyper empathetic, it's just that they didn't necessarily express it in ways that were obvious to neurotypical people.

There was a good video I watched on the exact criteria for autism, I'll see if I can find it.

I agree there are many really great, creative, imaginative, caring people here who are autistic!
Just on your point about empathy, I would say I experience empathy. I definitely have empathy for people I have developed an attachment to (family and at least one close friend). The empathy I experience there is ridiculously strong. To the point where any little thing that goes wrong for them I take it very much to heart myself.

There is a clear difference then for other people. I'm less empathetic to those I haven't got a strong emotional attachment to.

It's just interesting just how it can vary from one person to the next. I have always liked the line...

When you meet one person with autism, you've met one autistic person (or something along those lines). It's very true.
Old 22nd August 2022, 16:14

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymruambyth26
It is very interesting. It seems that socially anxious people can also exhibit several autistic traits as well (which is my experience). Therefore, yeah it seems many of us are now trying to join the dots together by asking the question and seeking a diagnosis.

It will just be a case of whether I meet enough of the criteria to receive a diagnosis now.
Yes I have also been having this dilemma for quite some time, which is why I've been researching autism quite a bit.

It helps that there is much more content out there from autistic people themselves now rather than just professionals who study it and work with autistic people, so we are able to get more of a rounded idea of what autism is rather than just a clinical definition.
Old 26th August 2022, 21:55

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Yes I have also been having this dilemma for quite some time, which is why I've been researching autism quite a bit.

It helps that there is much more content out there from autistic people themselves now rather than just professionals who study it and work with autistic people, so we are able to get more of a rounded idea of what autism is rather than just a clinical definition.
I've researched autism over the years and worked with some autistic children. My long time friend has an autistic daughter as well so I've learnt things from observing her.

In my head I do at some point want to watch youtube videos or listening to podcasts or read blogs about living with autism but yeah I don't know where to go with it.

I do follow a couple of autistic people on Twitter (one has a large following and writes literature about autism). I'm also a member on the National Autistic Society forum.
Old 27th August 2022, 11:13

Mood
Tired

I thought
Old 27th August 2022, 11:13

Mood
Cynical

^ What did you think Mr Nobody?
Old 21st September 2022, 20:56

Mood