SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th July 2023, 08:01

Default Acid reflux/Indigestion/heart burn/GERD

I'm not really sure what the difference is between them all, but does anyone suffer with any of the above?

Over the last year and a half, whenever I have a day when I eat a lot, especially in the evenings, the next morning I wake up with some sort of acid reflux/indigestion, and the main symptom is upper back ache between my shoulder blades, which lasts for an hour or two. Again, this only ever happens when I've eaten too much the night before, mainly junk/processed food, and it never occurs on days where I've eaten normally, and my diet is normally clean.

But this week, I've been waking up every morning with acid reflux/indigestion, again with the main symptom being upper back ache which lasts for an hour or two, despite eating clean all week.

What the hell is going on here?

I'm going to try get an appointment with my gp and see what they say, but was wondering if anyone experiences anything similar, and if you know what relieves this?
Old 27th July 2023, 08:12

Default Re: Acid reflux/Indigestion/heart burn/GERD

This is going to sound like complete propaganda, but I've notice this mainly effects meat eaters, which leads me to think that they only solution is to offer up a sacrificial butternut squash to the vegan gods.

Seriously, my sister and dad get it. They have medication that they can take when it happens.

It's worth seeing a GP because you've eliminated the potential trigger for it.

Does it link to when you eat and when you exercise?
Old 27th July 2023, 08:29

It's a sign you're getting old jam get some gaviscon.
Old 27th July 2023, 23:20

I've had it a few times in the past year or so when I've been away and drinking way more than usual. Because I have the alcohol palate of a child, I mainly go for cocktails (amaretto sours, mojitos and daiquiris are my go-tos), so it's either the sugar or the raised acidity in the stomach alcohol causes (or both).
Old 28th July 2023, 07:31

I don't mind getting this morning upper back ache when I've over indulged on food, but now they're occurring when I'm eating clean.

Yesterday I had a tel apt with my GP, and she said it sounds like acid reflux/GERD, and prescribed me omeprazole. I also bought some Gaviscon. I haven't taken the omeprazole yet (I have a weird relationship with meds, basically i try not to take any if I can), but I used Gaviscon yesterday, it did fk all. In fact, the back ache this morning was more intense.

I may have to try the omeprazole today and see how it goes.

It could be meat related, as you mention Biscuit, so yesterday I went pescatarian (had eggs and fish with my meals), the morning back ache still occured.

@BFG - I know, getting older is lame. I'm getting a new ailment almost monthly. I had gout the other week. I mean, I had to google it and the people who usually get it are the over 60s, obese people and alcohol drinkers... I'm neither.
Old 28th July 2023, 07:50

I got prescribed the same stuff chucked prescription in the bin https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...h-cancer-study
Old 28th July 2023, 08:19

Are you taking any medications and/or supplements? If so, are you taking them after a meal?

I've had similar issues recently and have only just started to improve after months of suffering. It would come straight after the first bit of food that i swallowed, usually lunch or dinner. I'd have to stop (for a good while) eating whatever it was and wait for it to ease and then i'd be fine to carry on. I had a little bit of it this past week and interestingly it's tied in with me drinking coffee again
Old 28th July 2023, 09:56

Mood
Cynical

You could also look up foods that are meant to make acid reflux worse, I think they say the usual things like alcohol, spicy foods and caffeine but also some things like tomatoes.
Old 2nd August 2023, 22:28

Mood
Tired

I get it all the time now that I'm fat. When I was thinner, it didn't matter what food I ate, I wouldn't get it. Chocolate is the main trigger now

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Old 3rd August 2023, 16:53

Apparently raising the head end of your bed a few inches can help.
Old 3rd August 2023, 17:14

^
Old 4th August 2023, 01:35

Mood
Fine

I thought the back pain thing was just me being weird! I get the same thing and I usually get it from lying back in my chair, usually after eating junk but not always. Omeprazole had been extremely effective in stopping my indigestion issues but I only take it on days when I think I'll need it, and it only really works properly if you take it on an empty stomach.
Old 4th August 2023, 07:38

Not to get all hippy dippy (but I will... :P) but fresh ginger tea is great.

Quote:
Ginger tea for acid reflux is extremely beneficial in small doses. It is naturally rich in compounds and antioxidants that can provide many health benefits, such as reducing inflammation and other symptoms. The compounds in ginger can decrease the likelihood of stomach acid traveling to the oesophagus.
Ginger is fairly cheap - I bought some ginger the other day and it was 16p!

This might be helpful: https://www.swft.nhs.uk/application/...on%20the%20go.
Old 4th August 2023, 11:02

^^^ Well yes! It would take your mind off your problem.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:34

Omneprazole is very effective. Only after steroids did I have to take this but it really helps me