SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th April 2015, 10:14

Mood
Tired

Default Feel like everyone thinks I'm dishonest

I over-explain myself to people all the time. If I mention that I feel ill I automatically assume they think I'm lying or exaggerating it. I over-justify why I do things even if they haven't been questioned. I even come away from therapy wondering if she believes a word I say! And feeling bad for things I've said as well. I feel like I offend everybody too, or worry about things I've said that could have potentially been offensive. I apologise for everything - even walking past people in the supermarket.
Does anyone else feel like this?
Old 8th April 2015, 11:28

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Feel like everyone thinks I'm dishonest

Yes, I can relate to that. I think it comes from having low confidence. Although getting people who don't suffer from SA to understand what you're going through can be difficult anyway!

I definitely feel like I walk around apologising all the time, I even feel guilty for 'making' cars stop when I go across a crossing, argh.
Old 8th April 2015, 14:49

Mood
Breezy

Yes I get this. I feel I have a suspicious looking 'up to no good' face. This is pretty much default guarded SA look. If I'm not sure about someone, don't know them, don't like them or I'm just in a unsociable mood I get this.
Old 9th April 2015, 01:01

I don't bother explaining myself to others, I just let them think whatever they want..you can't control what everyone think about you so why tiring your head with it?
Hope things will get better with you :]
Old 9th April 2015, 07:52

Mood
Tired

Thanks for sharing guys It just gets so draining over-thinking and worrying all the time.

Dougella, I feel like that at crossings too! Yeh it must be low confidence. Also low self-esteem I think because it's like being unworthy of affecting anyone. For me anyway.

I know that look diplodocus (I love your name)! Got ID'd all through my twenties for that nervous, guilty look. Yes, that makes it worse feeling as though you look suspicious as well.

Gloomy, you're right. I've been reading up on it lately, and definitely everyone is much more concerned with what they're doing than anyone else. All this worrying is for nothing, and it changes nothing. Just got to try and learn not to care so much. Thanks
Old 10th April 2015, 22:30

Mood
Breezy

^ Thanks I remember my experience of driving in my late teens to early twenties and the amount of times I got pulled by police I'm pretty sure just because I 'looked' like I had something to hide. It was just nerves. Also getting followed by security guards in shops.
Old 11th April 2015, 03:27

Mood
Breezy

Yes! I relate. I always think people will think I'm lying for no reason, and then I'll act guilty like I do have something to hide...for no reason.
Old 11th April 2015, 10:44

Mood
Mellow

I can go from being very vague to overly descriptive. Depends on the people and situation tbh.