No, leave it be. 1 3.23%
I don't care. 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th March 2012, 12:53

Mood
Creative

Default Cold calling on the telephone

Should it be against the law as an invasion of privacy. I'm ex directory but somehow they get my name and telephone number. I don't even answer the phone anymore if I see a number I do not recognise.

To be honest I can barely make out what is being said half the time, be it a bad line or bad linguistic skills.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:00

Default Re: Cold calling on the telephone

Yes, ****ing bastards

I don't even give them finish more than one or two words, the phone goes down.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:01

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy
Yes, ****ing bastards

I don't even give them finish more than one or two words, the phone goes down.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:05

Mood
Doubtful

Lol I was just talking about this with my flatmate. His sirname is Bigg, and I'm fed up of people calling me up during the day asking if I'm Mrs Bigg. I've decided that the next time that happens, I'm going to finger my squelchy noise putty whilst saying, 'yes, I'm Mrs Bigg, and I'm really horny, how about you babes' and see how they react to that I don't really see the point in having help lines or telesales where there is a strong difference in accents, what's the point if people can't understand each other? I also feel sorry for the cold callers, it must be a miserable, thankless job most of the time. I wonder if anyone actually purchases their services?
Old 6th March 2012, 14:10

Mood
Mellow

They always seem to call after 6pm when I'm eating or chilling out... grrr.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:16

The buggers are one of the main reasons I never answer the phone... that plus I hate phones!
Old 6th March 2012, 16:58

I've registered with the telephone preference service, so if we get anyone cold calling us, I politely point out that it's illegal for them to be calling me as I'm with TPS and would they remove my number from whatever list they were using. If I get another call from the same company (and remember) I repeat that it's illegal and ask to speak to their manager.
Old 6th March 2012, 19:37

Mood
Scurvy

One of the reasons I wouldnt own a landline.

However I am worried it becoming more of an issue for mobiles in the future. So far I barely very rarely ever get such things - Even then its texts rather than calls.

edit: Haha - Literally the SECOND I submitted this.. The tariff I am with sent me a spam message lol. (I receive those more regularly.)
Old 6th March 2012, 19:54

Mood
Fine

I get cold calls (and stufff in the post, emails) once in a while because the letting agency I used sold all of my contact info to various companies when I moved into my flat. However that's it. So it doesn't really bother me.

I don't really see why it should be against the law altogether, seems overkill, however companies should adhere to whatever do-not-call list is in place
Old 6th March 2012, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
Should it be against the law as an invasion of privacy.
Yes, definitely. Same with doorstep selling. If I want to buy something I'm perfectly capable of getting it myself thanks.

I'm registered with the TPS which has drastically reduced the amount I get but I still get recorded voice ones (TPS doesn't stop those) and ones related to services I already receive (TPS doesn't stop those either).
Old 6th March 2012, 22:11

Mood
Lurking

They should be banned. They supposed to be blocked from calling our house but they just keep on coming. I get sick and tired rushing to the phone in case it's an important call only to hear some clown on the other end trying to sell me something.

If we want a particular service, we have a perfectly good telephone book from which to source it, thank you very much. And while we are at it, front-door cold callers should be banned too. They are an annoyance at best, and intimidating at worst.
Old 6th March 2012, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßazza
One of the reasons I wouldnt own a landline.
I would get rid of my landline but my Internet comes down it.
Old 6th March 2012, 22:28

Mood
Scurvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
Can chuck the phone out the window then =p

It might been harder to remove a proper phone 10 years ago or so. Nowadays a mobile is accepted and even encouraged. Im not so sure if its an issue if your running a business or not (Costs or wanting people finding your number easier.) but for people who arnt I dont find much of a need for a phone over a mobile. There might be reasons im not thinking of atm.

I find its preferable to be able to switch my number too. (Changing sims.)

Noticed I wrote the wrong word in my other post in a weird way. Must rewrote something wrong. Fixed it.
Old 6th March 2012, 22:34

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Can you get Fibre optic/Cable in your area? Cheaper (no line rental needed).
Old 6th March 2012, 22:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßazza
Can chuck the phone out the window then =p
I have been tempted
Old 6th March 2012, 22:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa
Can you get Fibre optic/Cable in your area? Cheaper (no line rental needed).
More than likely. I hate any kind of change, though. Might look into it at some point.
Old 7th March 2012, 10:23

Mood
Alienated

Yeah i get rid of my house phone as i was so sick of cold callers, i still get them sometimes on my mobile and texts too......and thats even after i registered with the TPS....I usually just put the phone down on them though these days.

I also think it should be illegal to cold call people in the street........every time i go in town i get hassled at least once by one of those dodgy accident claim people who try to convince you to apply for a fake claim, they have also started hanging around outside the jobcentre and hassling unemployed people. Seriously, how low can you get?
Old 7th March 2012, 10:26

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Just unplug the handset.

We technically have a landline so that we can have internet, but we've never bothered buying a handset. Between that and the fact that neither of our mobiles can hold a charge, the house is lovely and peaceful
Old 7th March 2012, 10:39

Mood
Procrastinating

I have a landline, i have caller diplay on it, so if it isnt a number i recognise then i dont answer, i do that also for my mobile phone, as far as i'm concerned if i havent given said person my number and havent got theres then i dont need/want to talk to them.

There is this little gadget though, costs about £80 so very pricey but it basically cuts into the call before you pick up and asks whoever's calling to say who they are and you hear it your end and you can choose to accept or refuse and block the number from ever getting through again (this can be edited at a later date if you so wish)... i must admit when i saw about it i was tempted but i dont think i can justify that price to myself for something that at the moment isnt a big problem.

Heres the link to the products website:

http://www.truecall.co.uk/

On a sort of funny side note, my ex used to be a "cold caller" of sorts... or they justify it to themselves by calling them telesales, she would ring up people who had bought a product from the company she worked for previously and ask if they wanted to buy anything else etc. I was told it wasnt cold calling as they had bought a product from their before... erm im sorry if i buy a product from argos do i want them ringing me every few weeks to see if i want more stuff? i think not!!! makes me mad how naive these telesales people are! The definition of cold calling is any unwanted calls to attempt to sell or advertise something without prior arrangment...
Old 7th March 2012, 19:05

I do hate them, especially the ones that are automated with no one on the other end when you do answer. Bans and limits may help, but equally perhaps putting very heavy charges on commercial cold calling would reduce them - maybe charging companies for unanswered calls too.

The problem is there are some legitimate forms of 'cold calling', such as debt collection. IMO it wouldn't be right to penalise legitimate businesses along with the sales-orientated ones.
Old 7th March 2012, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertulip
Just unplug the handset.
I do sometimes.