SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th November 2010, 02:11

Default So my house was burgled last night..

Last night late, I was still up watching TV, my mum had been asleep for a for hours hours. I must have dozed off for at most 20 minutes because the program I was watching was still on.
When I woke up (this is about 3.30am), I was needing something to drink so I went through to the kitchen, the house in total darkness. I push on the kitchen door, get about a third way open, suddenly theres a Roar or Shout from the other side of the door and the kitchen door is slammed shut in my face, I nearly jumped out my skin and jumped back away from the door, in the split second after in the pitch black, I went from thinking it had been my mum behind the door, to realising it wasn't and that we in fact had a fooking burglar! I then threw the door open and ran in roaring 'f***er ! get out u f***er! ect., throwing the cup I had in my hand at the disappearing person scumbag, who by this time was jumping from my kitchen window. I got over to the window, and saw him disappearing round the corner and by now I'm slamming the window shouting and screaming , 'u better run u f***er!' I then tried the backdoor when I realised, I had no clue if anyone else was in the house, so I ran round putting the lights on and thankfully there wasn't, then checked on my mum. She got up and phoned the police, they were there in 10 minutes. We thought at first Id caught him coming in and that he hadn't stolen anything, but sadly he managed to get away with my mums mobile phone, digital camera, her watch and some jewellery. We ended up sitting till 8am because there was no chance we were going to get any sleep. Still feels pretty surreal, anyway need to rant, sorry it was so long.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:08

Default Re: So my house was burgled last night..

Blimey that must have been terrifying, you were pretty brave though!
Old 16th November 2010, 09:20

Wow, that's scary stuff! Well done for chasing them out!
Old 16th November 2010, 09:24
Banned

Mood
Alienated

Lucky the chav scum didn't have a knife.

Congrats on getting rid of them
Old 16th November 2010, 09:30

That sounds scary!
Gotta close the windows at night!
Old 16th November 2010, 12:01

Thanks folks, though brave no, more like bricking it when I suggested I should have went after him, the police did say it was probably best I hadn't, being he could have been carrying a weapon :eek:
All windows hence forth shall remain forever locked.
Old 16th November 2010, 12:14

Mood
Thinking

Sounds scary. You did the right thing though, and I'm sure your mum will be very proud that you dealed with that very well. Hope you feel better
Old 16th November 2010, 12:50

Well done for being brave, i would of screamed like a little girl and ran the opposite way.
Old 16th November 2010, 12:58

Mood
Lurking

That sounds terrifying!!! I hope you're all ok, you were really brave though. What thieving b*****ds.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:17

That was a first, we just had the Forensic guy out and he took my finger prints and my palm prints . I had a momentary flash of guilt for no reason
Old 16th November 2010, 16:29

What a horrible experience. People that do that are scum.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:45

Mood
Dreaming

Always wondered what you do in a situation like that, now I know. Scream "You F*****!" as loud as you can Can't remember what the law is regarding defending your property from burglars - it was changed not so long ago.
Old 16th November 2010, 17:12

I don't know for sure, but legal precedent says that shooting them in the back with a shotgun while they run away is NOT allowed.
Old 16th November 2010, 18:27

Reasonable force is allowed. I think thats pretty much anything providing they still pose a realistic danger to you.

My mate got burgled a while back, they managed to lock him in the porch till the police came.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:18
Banned

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelFendersson
I don't know for sure, but legal precedent says that shooting them in the back with a shotgun while they run away is NOT allowed.
Lol, the Chris Martin case comes to mind. (is that his name?) Anyway, your property is your property and you should be entitled to defend it.

That's about the only thing the Americans have got right.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:44

Mood
Breezy

****ing hell, sounds like you were lucky and unlucky! Lucky cos he had a way out and you didn't end up in a fight with a cornered armed burglar and unlucky because middle of the night burglaries are getting more and more rare as burglars go more for middle of the day when no one is around. Make sure you bump up your security and quickly though because a lot of burglaries are repeated and usually within the first month.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:50

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Tony Martin.
Yeah isn't Chris Martin lead singer of cold play?
Old 16th November 2010, 21:55

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salusa87
Reasonable force is allowed. I think thats pretty much anything providing they still pose a realistic danger to you.

My mate got burgled a while back, they managed to lock him in the porch till the police came.
- BRILLIANT!
Old 16th November 2010, 22:00

My friends dads in his 70s too which made it even better.
Old 16th November 2010, 22:32

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salusa87
My friends dads in his 70s too which made it even better.
you can't make this stuff up
Old 17th November 2010, 00:05

Sorry, to hear about your burglary, Rane. What an awful thing to happen. It sounds like you handled it well, though, considering the circumstances. You're very brave, and thankfully you weren't physically harmed.

Hope, you and your mum are feeling ok. You both must be in terrible shock.
Old 17th November 2010, 01:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
****ing hell, sounds like you were lucky and unlucky! Lucky cos he had a way out and you didn't end up in a fight with a cornered armed burglar and unlucky because middle of the night burglaries are getting more and more rare as burglars go more for middle of the day when no one is around.
Defo Diplo, if Id walked in when he was in the living room, I would have been in front of his only two exits, so we were really very lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Make sure you bump up your security and quickly though because a lot of burglaries are repeated and usually within the first month.
Looking into security lights for the backdoor and sorting new locks for the windows later this week hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Palmer
Sorry, to hear about your burglary, Rane. What an awful thing to happen. It sounds like you handled it well, though, considering the circumstances. You're very brave, and thankfully you weren't physically harmed.

Hope, you and your mum are feeling ok. You both must be in terrible shock.
Thanks Laura, lucky is more like it, thankfully it was all over in a flash, the place does have a kinda weird vibe now though, that will probably last a little while.
Old 17th November 2010, 08:05

I had burglars in my flat last year just before christmas. I was asleep but I thought I heard something. When I woke up to find someone had broken in while I was sleeping and gone through my stuff... not a nice feeling. I called the only friend I had then to find him having man-flu. Not much was stolen, but I really didn't want to be alone then. Because of that weird vibe and because by that time I had pretty much lived as a recluse in my save sanctuary. It felt awful someone attempting to take that away from me.

The next day a reiki mistress offered to come over and make some kind of cleansing ritual. I'm not sure what to think about that really and tend to be rather sceptical. But sometimes 'rituals' can have quite some impact even if they sound silly. So she came over and I'm not sure whether it was just for some other human being being in my flat or that 'ritual' helped me move on in my head or whether that reiki thingy actually did something to the vibe, but I started to feel safe and sheltered again in my home in a surprisingly quick time.

Hope it will be the same for you Rane, it IS a horrible feeling.
Old 17th November 2010, 16:08

Mood
Mellow

Sorry to hear about your experiences Rane & Kitri - It's such an invasion of privacy and respect it makes my blood boil that such people with no morals should feel the need to break in and steal possessions.

My mountain bike was stolen a few weeks ago from the outside bike shed, I heard really loud banging around 3am to 4 am but was half asleep at least, they had force the door open some how. I reported in stolen to the police early afternoon then I had a phone call from a police officer in the evening, they had my bike at one of their stations! They found my bike with some others in a property about 4 miles from my place. I collected my bike the next day and fortunately no damage was done to it.

So kudos to the police despite their bad reputation at times, I sent a thank you card to them the next week praising their swift and efficient work.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:14

Mood
Sluggish

What a terrifying experience rane. sorry you had to go thru this. Well done for beating off the baddies tho!
Old 18th November 2010, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitri
I had burglars in my flat last year just before christmas. I was asleep but I thought I heard something. When I woke up to find someone had broken in while I was sleeping and gone through my stuff... not a nice feeling. I called the only friend I had then to find him having man-flu. Not much was stolen, but I really didn't want to be alone then. Because of that weird vibe and because by that time I had pretty much lived as a recluse in my save sanctuary. It felt awful someone attempting to take that away from me.

The next day a reiki mistress offered to come over and make some kind of cleansing ritual. I'm not sure what to think about that really and tend to be rather sceptical. But sometimes 'rituals' can have quite some impact even if they sound silly. So she came over and I'm not sure whether it was just for some other human being being in my flat or that 'ritual' helped me move on in my head or whether that reiki thingy actually did something to the vibe, but I started to feel safe and sheltered again in my home in a surprisingly quick time.

Hope it will be the same for you Rane, it IS a horrible feeling.
I'm sorry to hear that Kitri, it really suks. I'm glad to hear that u felt better after the reiki ritual though. So far the only thing I've done, is checking the locks and windows 3 times before heading to bed, I hope that doesn't become an OCD habit though
Old 19th November 2010, 21:19

holy crap. I would have crapped myself. you did good scaring off the idiot. so sorry this happened to you.
Old 20th November 2010, 16:03

This is one of my worst nightmares, I quite often lay awake at night listening for noises downstairs. I know I'm just being paranoid and I don't know what I'd do if I did hear noises. Just about to move into a house on my own as well which is even more of a worry, for my piece of mind the house has an alarm but if the alarm goes off in the middle of the night it means going down to switch it off.

I can't say I know how you must feel but I can imagine, I hope your able to get over it and feel safe again.
Closed Thread