SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2013, 14:29

Default The Meditation thread

Little bit embarassed about posting this, all the connotations and all that (that go with meditation) but there's only so many times you can post stuff with an alias out of embarassment.
Anyway, meditation- it's something I'm giving a go, and when you're someone that has quite bad sa at times- you got to be prepared to try anything that might help I think.

The idea with this thread is along the lines of meditation resources because that might be helpful.
And I'll intially post a blurb about meditation.

Meditation is
  • Coming to a still mentally and emotionally.
  • Simply collecting the mind

"The idea with meditation is, whenever you notice that your attention is shifting away from here and now, bring it back. And when your mind checks out again, bring it back. It's off again. Just come back. You can do this anywhere.
In Zen, we call this meditation practice, because that's what we're doing: practicing the single pointed activity of returning to this moment, breath by breath, day after day.
Ths is not easy to do. Most of the time there's a lot of distraction in our lives. Of course, much of the time we invite much of this distraction."

(Hope that's a good enough explanation.)
Old 21st August 2013, 15:22

Mood
Curious

Default Re: The Meditation thread

I really like this thread. I haven't meditated for weeks and I am a lot more tense. I recently gave up mood stabilisers and I would like to do meditation instead. I have tried different meditations and been to various groups and there are so many different techniques. I can't do the visual ones about breathing out and imagining smoke coming out, and then breathing in and imagining loads of light coming in and all that. It just makes me too self conscious and I worry about whether I am doing it right and this just ruins the meditation. When I haven't done it for a while and I try and do ten minutes, I have probably only actually meditated for two minutes of that time because the thoughts are difficult to stop. But after a while with practice I can go longer.

I would like to try mindfulness meditation or just focus on a sound or maybe a candle or something. I have been to a few buddhist groups but often the actual 'philosophy' involved is something I don't really wish to pursue i.e meditation where you focus on a particular deity or whatever, so I need to keep it as simple as I can.

Any advice on what you do would be helpful.

Glad you started this thread. I do believe that with regular meditation, the need for medication is greatly decreased.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:58

I stupidly haven't done much meditation recently (though this thread has reminded me, thanks!) but a website I've found really helpful is this

http://www.wildmind.org/

There are several different meditations, the Lovingkindness meditation that helps you be more positive and kinder to yourself may be particularly useful to many of us on here and what I really like about the site is the work and effort that's been put into it, each meditation is divided into steps and there's lots of detail for each step as well such as detailed information on posture. At first to me it seemed like an unnecessary amount of information and guide just for meditation, but I get it now, one of the important things about meditation is patience, so its very useful to read through all or most of the guide on things like posture instead of just going straight into it (like I wanted to at first). There are some free audio guides on the site to guide you through the meditation as well, which I found really helped.

I guess the fact I'm at home with the rest of my family at home most of the time means its quite difficult to be absolutely sure I'm going to be able to have half an hour or whatever without being disturbed, but I certainly will have to try and get into a routine with meditation sooner or later, cause other avenues of help with SA like counselling are unavailable right now.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:01

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyh
I stupidly haven't done much meditation recently (though this thread has reminded me, thanks!) but a website I've found really helpful is this

http://www.wildmind.org/

There are several different meditations, the Lovingkindness meditation that helps you be more positive and kinder to yourself may be particularly useful to many of us on here and what I really like about the site is the work and effort that's been put into it, each meditation is divided into steps and there's lots of detail for each step as well such as detailed information on posture. At first to me it seemed like an unnecessary amount of information and guide just for meditation, but I get it now, one of the important things about meditation is patience, so its very useful to read through all or most of the guide on things like posture instead of just going straight into it (like I wanted to at first). There are some free audio guides on the site to guide you through the meditation as well, which I found really helped.

I guess the fact I'm at home with the rest of my family at home most of the time means its quite difficult to be absolutely sure I'm going to be able to have half an hour or whatever without being disturbed, but I certainly will have to try and get into a routine with meditation sooner or later, cause other avenues of help with SA like counselling are unavailable right now.
I find loving kindness meditation quite difficult at first, but it is so helpful with SA because it makes you aware of the interconnectedness of all people and makes me feel less like an alien in a planet of other beings. If I could do this meditation again I might not have such bad agoraphobia which is more to do with seeing people outside as separate from me.
Old 22nd August 2013, 18:11

Smellycat- you know more than me. Still beginner here.

Thats a nice resource Olly- thanks for posting. It's even got walking meditation which is interesting!
Old 26th August 2013, 20:12

Mood
Curious

Hi,

I really recommend this 10 day free interactive meditation programme (see link below). So far it is really working, and it is FREE. I might decided to subscribe.

http://www.getsomeheadspace.com/

Would love to know what people thought of it after ten days.
Old 27th August 2013, 22:57

I 'm new to meditation and have been using www.meditationoasis.com podcasts on my iphone. Got out of the habit last week as we were away but want to make it a daily habit if I can. I would imagine its great for anyone suffering from anxiety as it just gives you a break from thinking and focusing on all those thoughts.

I struggle with sleeping and used the deep rest meditation which got me to sleep one night but I cant seem to do it if there are any distractions at all.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:11
Banned

Mood
Scared

I'm struggling with the meditation, my concentration is shite when it comes to things like this, my mind keeps wandering back to bums. Guess I need to keep at it.

Not sure my mind was made for purity and gettin in touch with the omnipresent unified field an all that malarkey.
Old 28th November 2013, 16:42

Anyone having any luck then? Shame this thread got so few replies, so I thought I'd try and revive it as I see quite a lot online about the potential of meditation/mindfulness in helping with SA and depression. I just tried meditating for the first time in months today, my problem is that I can't for the life of me stick at it on a permanent basis, my patience levels are very low it seems, so how on earth it'll ever have an effect for me I'm not sure, but I guess you've always got to to hope.
Old 28th November 2013, 21:11

Mood
Happy

Great posts on this subject. I use a very simple method of consciously saying to myself and allowing my breathing to become slow,....... gentle....... and even.
I don't worry about any thoughts I might have while meditating, I allow them rather than fight against them. I simply return to my breathing has become slow gentle and even.
If anyone is interested then I could talk someone through a meditation over the phone.
My best wishes.
Peter
Old 28th November 2013, 21:29

I was doing a ten week course on it from a book I was reading a few months back - I got to week six, went on holiday, and didn't go back to it. I do think, however, some of the techniques and things I've learnt have stuck with me, despite me no longer practising it formally. Just little things like being more readily able to notice when my mind starts to wander, or identify when that negativity tape gets shoved back in the cassette player.

I probably will go back to it a some point, just when I have the patience.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:04
Banned

I've been somewhat interested in this in the past.

I don't think there's any reason to be embarrassed about it, though I know you do get some odd types who believe in fairies and and other silly stuff like that.

I think there's lots of techniques but I liked to either use it to attempt to have an entirely silent mind with no thoughts or mental movements. Some people say this isn't possible but I've managed it in the past and it is tricky but good to experience.

Other type I tried is just where you don't have any goal and in doing so you can relax, it sounds simple but you have to even throw away goal to relax.

A few times I've done it where you go into like a kind of trance mode eventually.

I haven't had the patience for it for a long time either though.
Old 29th November 2013, 00:29

Mood
Flirty

I try and meditate everyday...and I've found meditation very helpful...I can recommend some books but I would also say that the thing about meditation is doing it...my usual practice is a breathing meditation where I just follow my breath where I can feel it which for me is at the top of my nostrils...so as I said, give it a go and keep going. A regular practice will help you improve your concentration...don't worry if your mind wanders...just notice that it's happened and bring your focus back to your breath again and again. My favourite book is Wherever you go, there you are by Jon Kabat Zinn and it's a fab title because it sums up meditation...your aim is just to be where you already are....instead of off in some fantasy, worry, dream, memory, plan...because when you start to practice being in the moment, you start to realise that you're often somewhere completely different!
Old 29th November 2013, 02:21

I'll just mention that it can be useful for people who have trouble sleeping because of stress. It's the reason I learned to do it.
Old 29th November 2013, 12:53

***8220;Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.***8221; Thích Nh***7845;t H***7841;nh

I collect quotes and mandras to calm my mind when running, this one I've been using to get over my fear of dogs, when ever they run after me I start walking and breathing and repeat this saying in my head, and strangely enough it's been working, and the dogs seem to sense that I'm calm so they stop barking as well
Old 21st December 2013, 10:39

Mood
Gloomy

I was lucky enough to be part of a mindfulness meditation group run by my psychologist and another psychologist who is also a buddhist.
The book we followed was 'Mindfulness, a practical guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World' by Mark Williams and Danny Penman.It was a 8 week group with a chapter of the book for each week which was too overwhelming with my terrible depression concentration.It was hard being in a group but everyone there also had some 'problem' whether a physical or mental health concerns.
I would really recommend the book, its just mindfulness meditation so little religion involved with a free CD which again is a meditation for each week.Of course you can read the book and do any meditation at any speed you like but the slow speed was great for me and there was nothing complicated about the book either.
I still do some guided mindfulness meditation, a year after the group finished and although its not a cure (or wasnt for me) it was and is a drug free coping strategy.
Old 16th April 2014, 16:02

Meditation is quite a trick if (or when???) you can master it. I've managed to do it successfully in the past for general anxiety, and I have to say it felt more relaxing than a night's sleep did at that point.

The real skill is achieving a mindful state, which comes easier to some than to others. The second you get that, it does "work". Meditation isn't a cure, it's more like a period of much-needed respite, or an opportunity to examine an aspect of your life objectively without being overcome by feelings. Long term, with much practice, I think it can help you think a different way about everything, but I stress, that is a long term thing.

Mindfulness in everyday life is another step, really, and something I want to try, but I'm certainly not there yet. If you were able to be mindful in everyday life, you would be able to take a step back from negative or painful thoughts and see them as just that, rather than be consumed by intense anxiety or depression. I doubt it would actually stop those thoughts, at least not in the short to medium term, but make them less of a problem.

I'm really 'monkey minded', thoughts leaping from tree to tree, and I was very surprised I was eventually able to carry it off. I just think I should have kept on doing it, instead of going back to flying around doing more mentally taxing things that, at the end of the day, really don't matter! :D
Old 16th April 2014, 16:53
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark09
I keep trying this. I'm not convinced meditation entirely works- because I was in a bad place recently and the idea and even doing of sitting and doing nothing was not very compelling. But I had a sit still and mentally watch for 15 minutes just now, and there is definitely something to it. That I managed to entangle from two strong feelings and then somehow find a bit more calm.

And your post seemed to nail it. Maybe a helpful coping mechanism.
I read that mediation creates new Neurons in the brain. Fresh Neurons that havnt got any of the old head junk and programing. ****9829;Science***9829;* Straight after my meditation I make the efforrt to program in new thoughts onto these lovely pristine Neurons. Also meditation has the habit of stopping mental thought patterns and you simply watch your thought float by. I'm going to mediate every morning for a month before I make any concrete judgements on it.

I've finally got the hang of meditation. I approach it gradually through relaxation and grounding techniques. Then simply follow my breath for 20 mins. Thats it. I'm getting better at disolving any thoughts that interupt me. The last two days I've really enjoyed my mediation and felt that I've been doing it properly.
Old 21st April 2014, 23:31

I want to give meditation a shot but have no idea where to start with it. I've been reading up on various ones but there is a crazy variety out there. Vipassana seems to have come up a few times. Preferable costless :/
Any preferred ones/methods?
Am I just over thinking this?is it pretty much a case of chilling out with eyes closed type of thing? Mind you, finding quiet time to do it in is pretty difficult in my current situation.
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:49

That is a good quote, I was expecting a random sentence

I can't imagine ill be that great at it, I had trouble just reading through that. My eyes and brain jump all over the place.

Worth a shot, even if it is a long one!

Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 11:54

Just came across this thread. Not sure if anyone is still following it or not.

I'm curious to find people who have had this experience when meditating where you feel like you are shrinking in to nothing, like being encased in a small box and you have this overwhelming feeling of dread and fear like the world is about to end. It's very much like an intense claustrophobic reaction. I've experienced it a few times in my adult life, but was severely plagued by it as a child in which I thought it was night tremors because it normally came on at nighttime while I was sleeping. I think stress induces it. My normal response is always to reject it and try and snap out of it.

Just some random things I have read about meditation. Mainly from buddhism, Jon Kabat-zinn, Eckhart Tolle and a few others.

- the meaning of meditation is "to familiarise".
- there are two main types of meditation. Single-pointed concentration and analytical.
- meditation helps you to create an awareness in your mind so that you can separate your awareness from the grip of emotions. it's like you can step back and observe the rise and fall of your emotions and not be so enslaved to them.
- it only takes as little as 5-10 minutes a day
- you can meditate while doing things like walking, doing the dishes, having a shower etc...
- at first, it's normal to get caught up in random thoughts which doesn't mean you are doing it wrong or that you won't be making any progress. It takes time and effort to get past that.
Old 13th June 2014, 15:33

I've been doing it on and off for about three years, I can never seem to make a habit out of it, I find it almost impossible. Anyone got any tips for making it a habit? In my mind I know all the potential benefits I could get from doing it, it's just really hard to get the first few weeks under your belt when there might not be much noticeable progress.
Old 13th June 2014, 16:06

^ Same, I recognise the benefits it could have and I've found it useful in the past and even had a few unexpected (but good reactions) to it before, but have never got into a regular habit of doing it, might try and make a set time to set aside 20 minutes to it everyday.
Old 13th June 2014, 16:22

^I've heard that the best way is to start with 5 minutes and then slowly increase the time so it's less daunting, though even trying that I find it quite hard definitely also going to make an effort though, Feel like it could be quite helpful for me.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:51

Mood
Breezy

I find meditating very helpful. Big fan of anything written by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Old 16th June 2014, 15:02

What do you like about him? There is no malice behind this question; i'm genuinely interested
Old 16th June 2014, 15:14

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayman
What do you like about him? There is no malice behind this question; i'm genuinely interested
Very simple advice (his first language isn't English) - as both his original work and the translations are very easy to read. Oddly enough was interested in Buddhism and meditation before I found him, and only really got back meditation when I found how relevant his writing was when I read his book 'Anger: Buddhist Wisdom for Cooling the flames', when I was looking for practical advice to deal with moderating the chatrooms here back in 2002-3 and nothing to do with meditation.
Old 16th June 2014, 16:54

Cool. I've seen a few clips of him on YouTube, but haven't read any of his teachings. I am trying to incorporate some of the buddhist teachings in to my life. I might check out that book. Thanks for the mention.
Old 16th June 2014, 19:03

Mood
Bitching

I often do some simple trance meditation if I can't sleep.
being aware but only but a tiny amount and being on the edge of sleep is pretty damn cool.
Old 22nd June 2014, 19:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamgee
I find meditating very helpful. Big fan of anything written by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Same here. I've read Peace is Every Breath and Peace is Every Step, as well as The Miracle of Mindfulness.

I'm currently reading Happiness. The Art of Happiness by The Dalai Lama is also very good and was the one that started me off after I went seeing the Dalai Lama about two years ago when he came to Manchester.