SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th March 2019, 15:46

Default SA or just rude?

So the lockers at swimming take a 20p piece. Once the lessons have finished the pool is open for public swim.

There's two fellas in the swimming lesson who never say anything. I've tried striking up a conversation but got nothing back so I just respectfully let them individually do their own thing. I can understand that. I've thought previously "maybe they have SA".

Today a "public" swimmer asked them "do you have 20p.. I've only got a pound coin and I'll give you that if you'll give me 20p". They both said no. Now... I'm pretty sure they must've both had 20p as most people do lock the lockers.

I then said to the guy "here have mine". He was like "I'll give it back to you another week" and I'm like "mate.. it's 20p. No problem. Enjoy your swim".

So here's the thing.. are they both seriously SA, felt put in the spotlight and had an immediate reaction of "I need to shutdown this conversation with a no". I could understand that and empathise with them. Or are they both just rude?
Old 30th March 2019, 23:56

Default Re: SA or just rude?

Yes, I agree with Change.

It's only when you have seen these guys a lot more regularly that you may get some idea as to whether they are socially anxious or simply rude and unhelpful. The fact that they appear not to want to converse with you and refused the other swimmers request for help regarding money for a locker doesn't necessarily mean they suffer with social anxiety. They may just be not very amiable or helpful chaps.

I'd be surprised if they both suffered with Social Anxiety or were both very rude but who knows? Perhaps one is always rather brusque and rude and the other one you just caught on an off day and another time he will be much chattier and friendlier. As time goes on you may be able to suss them out better, but whatever!

The most important thing is that you enjoy your swimming lessons
Old 31st March 2019, 03:03

Default Re: SA or just rude?

Some people are just rude, it was kind of you to offer the 20p to the person who was struggling, it shows that you have manners and care about others. They may have social anxiety, or they just didn't want to help, or even care.

Well done for going swimming, I hope you enjoyed it.