SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st January 2021, 15:28

Default Fitness for the new year

As with many people I am thinking of increasing fitness levels in 2021, has anyone found being fit helps them with mood? I am thinking of getting a rowing machine for home and joining the gym again, this time I hope to go.
Old 1st January 2021, 17:16

Mood
Mellow

Default Re: Fitness for the new year

Yes, definitely.

I dislike running and am not that great at it, but I feel much better after.

Dislike that the gyms are shut, because I am too much of a wimp to brave the cold, even though it doesn't matter after you have warmed up.
Old 1st January 2021, 17:39

I've ran 3 days in a row, wanna do more. That's something for me. In the past I've ran, but I have tried picking it up again a few times but never continued with it. Yeah it helps with my mood and makes it a bit easier to not sleep overly late.

I think this time it seems to be working because I'm just running, I'm not putting expectations on myself, measuring my time and speed. I think those things push me to go harder than my current ability.

Also my body gets warmer as I run.
Old 1st January 2021, 19:36

Can’t stand running and never do it, but cycling ten miles each way to work coupled with year-round sea swimming tick the exercise box at this end.
Old 1st January 2021, 19:37

Mood
Cynical

^^ How did someone injure you? Did they fall on you after a drinks too many?!
Old 1st January 2021, 23:24

Mood
Cynical

^ Oof, that sounds painful.
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:45

Mood
Alienated

I'm not keen on the outdoors in general (I don't know if I have some sort of agoraphobia - maybe minor, maybe its just anxiety..maybe I'm just odd)

I do keep considering playing one of these games thats meant to encourage you to get fit - I bought the ring fit adventure thing for the Switch - I've used it once (I had all the wii fit stuff and scales/balance board back in the day) ..I always buy them with good intentions and then just sack them off...one day

I can't be dealing with straight up exercise - I need it masking in some shape or form, although I'd like to take up swimming (I've been saying it for years) this pandemic has given me a perfect excuse not to.

I could buy some sort of treadmill/bike machine thingymabob but would I ever use it..
Old 2nd January 2021, 08:56

^ Star jumps, clapping arms above head, are a great way to get the heart really pumping (as we’re supposed to do at least twice a week), great indoor workout (possibly not with neighbours below) and you can set a target and increase it day on day as your fitness kicks in, 50 - 100 - 150, or do several sets a day. I’ve never known anyone to use an indoor bike long term, it often ends up collecting dust, unlike your star jumps, which are a hell of a lot cheaper...unless you fall through the ceiling mid jump.

Old 2nd January 2021, 14:40

Mood
Mellow

I've found the 1000 calories workouts quite helpful, if time consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHBhvv-Lhg

I should really face up to going outside and doing a run. It looks like the gyms may be shut around here for some time.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:03

Mood
Lucky

I hated running for my whole life until Lock down 1.

Once the gyms shut I thought I'd give it a go and grew to love it.

I feel lots better after doing it.

As the weather got worse and things went back to normal, I've been doing it less - more like once or twice a week instead of 3 to 4 times - but I have kept going with it.

Although, I've really f-ed my leg and ankle up from doing it, so its not all been positive. I have trouble walking pain free now but still do at least one run a week as I do feel good afterwards (despite having trouble walking for a few days after!).
Old 4th January 2021, 18:33

^^^Star jumps are good if you live in a house or are on the ground floor. I do them when I get stressed or need to concentrate. So quite often.
Old 4th January 2021, 19:50

Mood
Sad

Another vote for running here, although I'm one of those weirdos that prefers running on a treadmill rather than outdoors. On a treadmill I can just put my earphones in, music on, set the pace and then almost zone out, like some kind of Zen Running Master

Whereas running outside I'm on full alert for traffic, people and dog poos Also outside there are such things as........hills. And the hills round my bit can be lungbusters, I can tell you!
Old 5th January 2021, 09:25

Mood
Lucky

I haven't run on a treadmill yet but will definitely give it a try when it starts getting hotter outside.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:21

Although it only a week since I’ve been running daily I think it’s making it easier for me to do push-ups. Not really much better but I think cause I’m breathing more freely and deeply if I do them, so it’s easier to do more of them. I feel more aware of my posture. Maybe fundamental exercises like running are more important than regarded.

But I’m no fitness expert so don’t take my opinion very seriously.
Old 5th January 2021, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
I haven't run on a treadmill yet but will definitely give it a try when it starts getting hotter outside.
When I run the body heats itself up I think that it isn’t overly cold.
Old 15th January 2021, 22:43

Thanks I will post up some progress!
Old 21st January 2021, 01:13

I have decided to get running and have done for the last few days. I feel great but I am thinking of getting a desk treadmill to go with my standing desk as I think this will help the weight loss. I have been looking https://www.sports-supplements-compa...-treadmill-uk/ and not really sure of what to get or am I setting myself up to fail if I buy one and end up not using it. Anyway I think I will go for it, I cant find a second hand one that would fit so might just put some money into it.