SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th March 2012, 15:18

Default Trying to figure out the point in life

We all have low moments with SA and today I am really having mine, I have nothing at all going for me now. I did have a job ok it was dead end but after being made redundant I have ticked all the boxes to join the loser category.
I'm 30, messed up school because of SA, can't drive, no home, no job, never left this tiny country, never did anything productive with my life, OK I have a GF and kids but other than that, I mean I can't even support my kids now. So I kind of soul searching trying to figure out the point of my miserable existence, can't find it at the moment. Can anyone relate?
Old 4th March 2012, 17:12
Banned at own request

Default Re: Trying to figure out the point in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
there is no point in life.

it just is.
We make up the point of life as we go along, based on what we value/like etc.
Old 4th March 2012, 17:16
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
We all have low moments with SA and today I am really having mine, I have nothing at all going for me now. I did have a job ok it was dead end but after being made redundant I have ticked all the boxes to join the loser category.
I'm 30, messed up school because of SA, can't drive, no home, no job, never left this tiny country, never did anything productive with my life, OK I have a GF and kids but other than that, I mean I can't even support my kids now. So I kind of soul searching trying to figure out the point of my miserable existence, can't find it at the moment. Can anyone relate?
It's tough for you right now - take care, tho
Old 4th March 2012, 17:55

Mood
Lurking

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling, Dave. I know you've had a difficult time recently. I can relate to the messing up at school scenario. For me, just surviving another anxiety-ridden day was all that mattered to me back then. So actually achieving something academically never really came into it. And even back then, I struggled to figure what the point of being alive was anyway.

It took me many, many years to work out what a few posters have said here already: that there actually is no definitive point to it all. We live, then we die. There is a blank bit in the middle that we have to fill in ourselves. We create our own meaning. We decide for ourselves what the point of it all is.

We just have to work out what we value doing. How we value being. What we like. How we can work towards it. It's these kinds of things that give our lives direction, purpose and ultimately, meaning.

I don't think there is a hidden point/meaning to life that we have to search out. Life just is. We are born, we do what we feel appropriate with the time we have, then we die. Maybe part of our (human beings) problem is that we feel compelled to look for meaning, rather than creating our own meaning. We search for a point to it all instead of creating our own point for it all. In the meantime, life passes us by.

When we identify what we value in life. How we want to act. What we want to learn. Who we want to be etc etc... and then we actively pursue all that, our life then takes on a point, a meaning. Sure, SA is a bugger, and yes, it gets in the way. But still, if we keep going in the directions we value in life, and work through the tough times, our life does still have a point. It also has meaning.
Old 4th March 2012, 22:14

Mood
Mellow

remember that to your kids, u r the most wonderful thing in the world.

instead of focusing on depressing 'facts',
focus on enjoying this time while your kids do need you...

because days r coming when they'll not need you anymore friend.

(wait until then to get depressed).

for now--look for chances to put smiles on
your kids faces, & you'll feel great.

see it through their eyes while u can
a father has THE MOST IMPORTANT effect on a child in life.

the kids won't care that ur broke, but they'll care that you were sad,
(& might even think it's his fault).
switch off that gloom now, 4 the kids futures.
Old 4th March 2012, 22:43

See, I am the opposite to you. I have a job, i drive but I have a big empty gap where I don't have a partner or kids. So in that respect I look up to you a lot that you have this.

I cannot connect with people and relax enough to form relationships so I am very lonely but with a good job.

Try not to be feeling sad, I think what you have is awesome.

You can get another job.