SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd April 2021, 21:07

Default Re: What goes through your mind if someone describes you as quiet

What goes through my mind is that of all the things you could say I'm sorry you've chosen one that makes me feel dull and boring. I'm thinking it anyway, and now I think/know you are thinking it too.
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:16

Mood
Scared

I don't think someone noticing that I'm quiet would set me off, to be honest.

I think it's happened before, and in groups when I felt comfortable I made a joke to the effect of 'and you know, it's the quiet ones who are the worst!'

There are lots of other things which can send me into a paranoia spiral or make me feel bad about myself. They're usually related to things I've been bullied about in the past. I don't see being quiet as a bad thing - I like quiet people.
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:08

This used to bother me much more when I was younger and genuinely tried to engage more with others, especially when I thought I was succeeding in being quite chatty. I mean, just what was expected of me to avoid being labelled as quiet - not let anyone else get a word in edgeways?! Now I can't be bothered even trying and don't care what people think in that regard. Maybe people tend to think of me as the strong silent type lol.
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:07

Mood
Alienated

I stopped caring after I was about 16-17.

It's not really any different to calling someone loud? either way the person doing the accusations sounds a bit of a nob so whatever.

It depends on the situation though, if your in a work environment and a group are talking about something you really have no idea about or interest. Well duh of course I'm going to be quiet!
Old 24th April 2021, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
Nothing really, I can't argue with that, I AM quiet

Most conversation is quite predictable and 'vanilla'
If someone is a bit different, has a different energy and is saying something new then I'll perk up and join the conversation, ..

The human mind is so predictable though, half the time there's little point in joining the conversation, .it's all been said before, a million times.

Talking is revealing yourself in a sense,
So people probably are a bit wary of someone not revealing their thoughts, feelings, motives etc.
They possibly see the quiet, reserved person as an unknown, a threat of some kind.?
Ain't that the truth. Vast majority of conversations is inane rubbish.
Old 26th April 2021, 11:10

If it's a friend or workmate, my first thought is that I have done or said something, or behaved in a certain way which makes them think I'm angry at them or am having a bad time.