SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th December 2005, 12:14

Default Re: Refer Any good books - claire weekes

hello ivor

i cant imagine what you have been through it puts my own experinces into perpective. i think i may have taken what you was saying in the wrong context and for that i am truely sorry. i was not trying to underminded your anxiety and that is something i would never do. my comments about death where not meant as advice i was just trying to say that people can say these types of comments to you until there blue in the face but its not going to change how you feel. only you can do that and for me i know this will take time and effort. you are 100% correct that every member here deserves a better quality of life. i believe in persistence and as i have said before you have the right attidude to tackle your anxiety. i am slowly coming around to a different way of thinking but like i say for me it takes time. i hope you have a good christmas
Old 20th December 2005, 15:07

Default Re: Refer Any good books - claire weekes

dont worry, no offence taken.just enjoy your xmas for me ok.
Old 23rd January 2006, 18:36

Default Self-help books

Can anyone recommend me any self-help books? Not just to do with social anxiety, but depression as well.

Thank you,
~Frozen-In-Time~
Old 23rd January 2006, 23:43

Default Re: Self-help books

sry i cant recomend any
Old 24th January 2006, 18:15
Intro Guy

This book is supposed to be pretty good, although I haven't read it myself yet:

And this one if you think you might be a HSP:
Old 24th January 2006, 19:46

The Gillian Butler book Intro Guy recommended is good. Very clear and easily read. Was a great help in understanding what was going on and sets out clear techniques on how to become free of the anxiety. Saying that, I havn't had the dedication to carry out the techniques yet...But it seems to be a very good starting place for reading on the subject.
Old 24th January 2006, 19:51

I found this book quite useful...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...502760-3218209

My psychiatrist recommened it to me and it was a stipulation of my group therapy that you had to own this book to be able to join the group.

Hope it helps,

Ben
Old 24th January 2006, 21:00

i have that first book in front of me, its good, but £45. The first couple of chapters are there to depress you i reckon, its like "yep you are doomed!"

then it gets better.
Old 24th January 2006, 21:13
Banned (by own request)

If you want to gaina good knowledge of SA, then Overcoming Social Anxiety (mentioned above) is a good book. I think there are others in the Overcoming series too, such as Overcoming Depression...

There should be loads of books on depression though, SA isn't something that's well covered, but depression is another kettle of fish altogether. But, I have to say I've never really looked into the reading material.

One book that I did read, was How High Can you Bounce, by Roger Crawford. Had nothing to do with SA, and wasn't entirely focused on depression, but it certainly leans that way and gives some inspiring accounts, written by a man who was physically disadvantaged from birth and went on to make the most of his circumstances.

I vaguely remember one story from the book, of a man he'd met through his travels and his work, an ex-gang member who claimed he never found any happiness or meaning in his life until he was shot by a rival gang and paralysed. To most people, that's a tragic event, this guy was very thankful of it.

mico
Old 24th January 2006, 21:17
Banned (by own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxious-chris
i have that first book in front of me, its good, but £45.
Not sure which one you're talking about, but there's only 3 books I see mentioned here, the above link has the price listed, and Overcoming Social Anxiety is about 8 notes on Amazon. The other I don't know about.

mico
Old 26th January 2006, 19:20

Default Books?? Any suggestions?

Heya peeps,
Im looking into getting a book to help me along with this getting better process! My main problem is panic attacks, i mean i do have a SA problem but the panic is the worst so....
i wondered if anyone had any books that theyve read and could recommend because it helped them
thanks
luv candi xxx
Old 26th January 2006, 20:52

Default Re: Books?? Any suggestions?

I read a really good book called "power over panic" by Bronwyn Fox.

http://www.panicattacks.com.au/store/index.php

The mp3 download is good.
Old 26th January 2006, 21:26

Hi Candi

I have a book by gillian butler called overcoming sa and shyness. It teachs you how to use cognitive behavioral techniques. When you start to panic how to stop the cycle, it has had benefits for me.

take it easy
Old 26th January 2006, 21:42

Mood
Insomnious

Hi Candi,

I have read alot of books on panic and anxiety and found the following ones quite helpful :

a) Self Help for your Nerves by Claire Weeks

b) Over Coming Social anxiety and Shyness by Gilian Butler.

c) Dying of Embarassment by Barbara G. Markwy , Cheryl N. Carmin

although they might not be specifically for panic attakcs there are lots of things in these books which can help with feelings associated with panic and anxiety etc.

hope you can get them .
i usually get my books from amazon.co.uk

shaukat xx
Old 27th January 2006, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by candi_boo_kisses
Heya peeps,
Im looking into getting a book to help me along with this getting better process! My main problem is panic attacks, i mean i do have a SA problem but the panic is the worst so....
i wondered if anyone had any books that theyve read and could recommend because it helped them
thanks
luv candi xxx

I think a good book for you Candi would be the The Highly Sensitive Person.It would help you better understand your self and your problems.I read it and got a lot out of it.
Old 27th January 2006, 19:08
Intro Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septor
I think a good book for you Candi would be the The Highly Sensitive Person.It would help you better understand your self and your problems.I read it and got a lot out of it.
Yes, I'm currently reading that book. It's very good.
Old 27th January 2006, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septor
Thanx babes if uve got it u can send it to me save me from buyin it hehehe onli jokin talk to u 2nite xx
Old 4th February 2006, 20:29
Banned (by own request)

For SA:

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness - Gillian Butler

For panic and general anxiety:

Self Help for you Nerves - Claire Weekes

For a general guide to everything:

What to Say when you Talk to Yourself - Shad Helmstetter

The last one I haven't actually read yet, but it came recommended by a very trustworthy and extremely knowledgable source.

The other two will be recommended time and time again on these boards. All in all thhose three combined would give you pretty much all the info you need.

The only thing missing would probably be a really good motivator. Feel the Fear and do it Anyway is a good one.

mico
Old 1st March 2006, 01:13

Mood
Brooding

Smile Books on SA

I was buying something off Play when i came to my attention that they have started doing books and i thought why not see if they have any books on SA and they do http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=searc...o.x=54&Go.y=16
I take it the one by Gillian Butler is the most popular plus i have seen parts quouted in someones sig on here.
Old 1st March 2006, 09:15

Default Re: Books on SA

I read that one a while ago, it is quite good and it is based on cognitive behavior therapy with exercises and good tips.

I also read one (not specific to SA but very inspirational) called Feel the fear and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers, at the time I was going through quite a rough time and it really changed a lot of my attitudes. It concentrate on fear and I think SA is fundamentally based on it.

I think I will re-read both...thanks for reminding me!
Old 1st March 2006, 09:23
Banned (by own request)

Gillian Butler's books comes recommended quite a lot on here. It gives some good explanations on SA, and some good tips too with a CBT approach. Worth reading.

mico
Old 1st March 2006, 12:32

That 'Fear Is No Longer My Reality' books looks like it could be good, would be good to read a real life story from someone who has gone on to be successful.
Old 1st March 2006, 21:46

hello

"feel the fear and do it any way" is supposed to be very good i have it but not read it yet but have only ever seen good things written bout it.
Old 28th April 2006, 21:03

Default Recommend a self help SA/anxiety book?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has read a book on social anxiety/general anxiety that has really helped in some way? I've yet to find a useful one...

I've tried 'Diagonally parked in a parallel universe' by Signe Dayhoff? (I think). I found that to be so dry and boring I couldn't finish it and ended up selling it! Also tried 'Feel the fear and do it anyway' by Susan Jeffers and I just found that to be patronising and didn't finish that one either... but I haven't sold it yet, so may look at it again one day!

Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
Old 28th April 2006, 22:08

Default Re: Recommend a self help SA/anxiety book?

Heya - haven't read any self help books as such, but I did stumble across a site (that's based on a book) - found it pretty useful cos its quite hands-on and practical in terms of techniques etc. Deals primarily with general anxiety, but does devote a section to SA.

Give it a look, tis free!

http://www.anxieties.com/sap-help.php
Old 28th April 2006, 22:12
Banned (by own request)

Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness, is the obvious one, by Gillian Butler.

A CBT approach to SA, with some interesting and mostly common sense stuff.

Fell the Fear is a bit 'californian...' but I found something in it. It's definately not 100% there, but there's some useful motivational stuff in there.
Old 29th April 2006, 02:46

Mood
Lucky

Not strictly a 'self-help' book or anything but "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse is a brilliant read for those not too happy with themselves and/or their condition. (And it's pretty short.)
Old 30th April 2006, 21:41

Thank you for the suggestions. I will see if i can get any of them from the library first - there must be at least one book that will help!

Cheers.
Old 30th April 2006, 21:47
Banned (by own request)

You can normally order books into the library. It might cost you 50p or something, but 50p to read a book is no bad deal.
Old 30th April 2006, 22:42

I'd definetly recommend the Gillian Butler one.

Another I liked is 'Painfully Shy: How to Overcome Social Anxiety and Reclaim Your Life' it's a bit more sympathetic and less clinical and matter-of-fact. I could really identify with a lot of it.