SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th August 2021, 21:04

Default Sebastian EfT Tapping For Social Anxiety

Old 31st August 2021, 22:36

Default Re: Sebastian EfT Tapping For Social Anxiety

It's not something I've ever heard of. Tapping? What does it involve, Seag? is it something you've tried?

For some reason, I'm always sceptical of pay-to-see-more things with rave reviews. Sometimes there's a fake or cult-like vibe to it all. But I don't know what this is and I haven't seen any reviews to get the vibe.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:38
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Someone I volunteer with is a qualified EFT practioner, though since lockdown she's not been taking on clients. She kind of combines hers somewhat with a kind of person centered counselling.

It's not something that floats my boat tbh, but it seems to work for some ppl. She was pretty busy and apparently had a lot of return clients when they were going through difficult circumstances. She also uses it on herself.

Like biscuits I'm not a fan of these pay for rave review programmes. There are lots of EFT practitioners out there where you could have a one off session to see what you think I guess.
Old 2nd September 2021, 00:26

Mood
Tired

Apparently it helps sugar cravings too so I would give it a shot

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Old 4th September 2021, 14:34
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Yeah I just don't think it's my kind of thing. I like straight forward person centred counselling or (if I could afford it) attachment theory based therapy.

I don't seem to fair well with these type of exercise based type therapies. CBT for instance I loathe. Even stuff like mindfulness and meditation whilst I don't hate them they do nothing for me. So for me EFT doesn't really appeal - although I haven't tried it as yet so I could be wrong.

I'm not sceptical in a general sense as some ppl seem to benefit from it. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I am sceptical though of buying into programmes, for me personally I'd always try and go for a individual therapist who is registered. Or just using the free content I guess.
Old 9th November 2021, 12:14

I have been a member of Sebastian's Social Anxiety Solutions program for a year. Just recently left the program.

Has it cured my social anxiety? No
Has it helped with my social anxiety? Yes

Good points are:
Sebastian has had SA himself, so has a very good understanding of SA, and he has coached hundreds of people with SA so is very experienced.
His training material is clear and easy to understand, as are his live meetings.
Each week there are 2 live meetings with Sebastian that you can either just listen to, or you can take part in as a volunteer, though there is no pressure to do so. You will however get more benefit if you take part.
You also receive weekly emails that help and support you on your journey with working on your SA.

Negatives are:
It costs around £80 per month (no contract, so can cancel whenever)
You may need to work with an EFT Tapping practitioner to get better results. Even Sebastian recommends doing so if you are not getting results with his program.

I personally am glad I went through the program, as I learned so much, not just about tapping, but about lots of different aspects (childhood issues/trauma, self esteem, self acceptance, negative thoughts, etc). Now I have some techniques available to me to help manage my SA.
In particular I use tapping for upcoming events which I am worried about (whether social or not), and for this it really does help me a lot.

SA should be treated holistically, and tapping is just one useful aspect of that, but we should not dismiss other things that may help, like CBT, medication, physical relaxation, meditation, etc.

I also use an app on my phone called "Tapping Solution" - this isnt specifically for SA, but it contains guided tapping sessions, which cover a whole load of issues that tapping can help with.

If you are thinking about trying Sebastian's program, he does a free 30 day Social Confidence challenge once a year, where you will learn all about tapping for SA. I would recommend this 30 day challenge, even if you dont join the program afterwards, as it will give you a good taster of how tapping can help with SA.
I think it starts in January 2022, but you can register now. Link should be on his website somewhere or on his recent youtube videos.
Old 10th November 2021, 14:23

^ Maybe I should try this I began therapy with someone and apparently the tapping they use helps trauma victims. However there therapy is £95 a session and with therapy doing it weekly is suggested. So I think it’s too expensive for me.
Old 13th November 2021, 01:13

I got the free course and have listened to is story so far. Now I'm watching videos on the EFT technique it sounds too good to be true but I haven't really tried it to have a valid opinion on it. It seems hard to access my traumas or imagine the something that would trigger my anxiety. Music seems more effective at triggering those emotions but not the thoughts that trigger the emotion.

I also think overcoming anxiety is probably like trail and error. We should expect some treatments we try to be ineffective and vice versa, that's how we overcome anxiety.
Old 13th November 2021, 11:13

Sorry but I think this sounds like total bullshit, quack mumbo jumbo, quite frankly.

There is no scientific evidence of this technique being any more effective than a placebo, and the fact this guy charges quite a lot of money to access content makes me very sceptical and dubious. I'd rather try snake oil I think.

I'd come across a few of his videos before and had much the same thoughts. Maybe the guy genuinely believes this works, and is not a total exploitative con artist, but I'm really not convinced at all.
Old 13th November 2021, 12:33

Yes there is, a Google search shows research reports based on eft tapping and it’s used for ptsd war veterans. It’s not that rare of a treatment.
Old 14th November 2021, 12:02
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleaney

There is no scientific evidence of this technique being any more effective than a placebo, and the fact this guy charges quite a lot of money to access content makes me very sceptical and dubious.
i'm surprised no one has raised this point yet...? I thought most people were more scientifically minded on here? this is a form of acupressure? which according to wikipedia;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupressure
Quote:
Although some medical studies have suggested that acupressure may be effective at helping manage nausea and vomiting, low back pain, tension headaches, stomach ache, among other things, such studies have been found to have a high likelihood of bias.[3] There is no reliable evidence for the effectiveness of acupressure.
furthermore on eft specifically
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotio...dom_Techniques
there is a lot written on that page that would make many people very skeptical of this.

now people are free to disbelieve wikipedia or say that it itself is biased since it can be edited by anyone. but wikipedia does tend to be the most common or accepted view on a particular subject. I don't have a problem with people believing whatever they want as I believe a lot of things that other people call bs, I just think it's odd that no one has said otherwise here? particularly as people are charging 80-95 quid?...
Old 14th November 2021, 12:06

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6381429/
Old 15th November 2021, 00:16

Mood
Bored

Is it a placebo? What's the thing when you make your eyes look right to the left and right to the ...erm right? And think good thoughts or something?
Old 15th November 2021, 11:43

I only gave my opinion as the question was asked. I am not here to advocate tapping, or any other type of therapy.

I came across Tapping a few years earlier and dismissed it for the same reason.

What I would say is, at least give tapping (or any other therapy/methods) a try, before you write them off as mumbo jumbo. Its possible to try tapping without spending a penny. So many free tapping videos available on Youtube, and not just for Social anxiety.

CBT is purported to be one of the most effective techniques for SA, but there are probably lots of people on here whom it hasnt helped?

I guess you just have to find what works for you.