Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th June 2021, 21:47

Default Has anyone watched GB News yet?

It was actually better than I expected.
Old 19th June 2021, 23:17

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Has anyone watched GB News yet?

I would rather gouge my own eyes out! (and not because I don't want to listen to people with right wing views or differing opinions to mine. It's because I don't want to listen to people taking the most contraversial view point just to get attention and views, like Katie Hopkins for example.)
Old 20th June 2021, 13:27

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
It was actually better than I expected.
What were you expecting?
Old 20th June 2021, 13:42

I haven't, but like Dougella, it doesn't appeal to me. I personally find the "anti woke" perspective - which many of the contributors seem to have built their reputations around - to be as mundane as a "woke" perspective. It's all just Tweedledee/dum stuff to me. "Let's say something to annoy the snowflakes!" I am bored with that level of discourse.

I heard a commercial for GB news and it was the expected popsicle-up-the-rectum stuff: " we're going to ask the hard questions you want answered". Really? I very much doubt it. I think these type of formats appeal a lot to wannabe iconoclasts, such as Katie Hopkins types, who imagine that saying, say, mean things about people with tattoos or silly names constitutes a cutting and meaningful social critique.
Old 20th June 2021, 15:35

If you enjoy it Moksha you should watch it
Old 20th June 2021, 16:33

I'm not saying a word on this one! Zilch! Nada! Although my only concern is for the members who aren't packing any heat right now. The modless members in the thread. Not that I'm saying there might be a possible high noon encounter between Genovese and Dougella. After all........

Look!!!!!!!!
a squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run!!!!!!!! Moksha, Tonkin and The Devil, Probably!!!!!!!!! Run towards the panic room!!!!!!!!!!

Old 20th June 2021, 16:38

Mood
Cynical

^ I will make clear, just because I chose not to watch something doesn't mean I'm saying other people shouldn't watch it or enjoy it!
Old 20th June 2021, 17:42

I was just thinking, what this country really needs is another editorialised right wing news outlet. I'll be tuning in daily, flag aloft and hand down pants.
Old 20th June 2021, 17:54

Portrait of Her Majesty tattooed on to the inside of my eyelids, in case I blink.
Old 20th June 2021, 18:22

Mood
Worried

I’m not sure why news should be left or right leaning in my opinion. And I don’t see why American style news programming is something to aspire to. But that aside, I think GB News problems are more to do with the quality. They have had plenty of lighting and sound issues, and a general lack of visual quality and timing issues. Advertisers have already been leaving the channel due to the poor quality.

I’ve still yet to understand this crusade against ‘woke nonsense’. It seems to be made up by the right to create division. The actual definition of ‘woke’ is something progressive and positive in my opinion, though I totally accept there are some bizarre far-left opinions from a minority - but these people get focused on to fit the ‘anti-woke’ agenda.
Old 20th June 2021, 19:02

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merritt
Portrait of Her Majesty tattooed on to the inside of my eyelids, in case I blink.
Old 21st June 2021, 01:12

I would say I'm anti-woke/pro-liberal. It's a broad church. But I doubt I'll be watching GB News. Mind you, I've ended up watching content from the Sun, so who knows.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:50

Mood
Cynical

^ What is anti-woke exactly? I know what the positive definition of woke is but I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say that.
Old 21st June 2021, 12:41

No thanks. If I wanted to hear a stream of right-wing opinion I'd take a taxi.
I'm not sure why people feel the need to pay money for other people's opinions anyway. It's not like there's a shortage on or anything. Everyone seems to have an excess that they need to dump onto the market. Frankly I should charge therapy rates just to listen and pretend to care.
Old 21st June 2021, 12:47

Mood
Bored

too much news is bad for mental health
Old 21st June 2021, 12:47
Banned at own request

I haven't watched the GB news and I won't be watching. From what I've heard about it, it's very unlikely to be my cup of tea. I wonder how long before the awful Piers Morgan puts in an appearance?
Old 21st June 2021, 12:58

I think "anti woke" would mean, generally, being against the purported sentimentalization of public discourse. But I don't know that there is actually a meaningful definition that people have agreed upon.

It is best captured by the expression, oft heard and recycled regularly, (vomit bags ready) "the facts don't care about your feelings!". (This is usually expressed in a state of heightened emotion about a trivial subject that has touched someone's nerves, such as female ghostbusters, ironically enough). I would suggest that being "anti woke" is, oddly, more of a sort of inverse to virtue signalling. One signals not how virtuous one is, but how "free thinking", "rational", "logical" and "smart", one likes to think one is, by picking up on trivial topics and making a song and dance about it. Anti woke people need woke people. They need the LGBT types to contrast themselves to. They feed off it. "I'm so liberal and free thinking, because you're not" kinda thing.

But that doesn't mean that everyone who has anti woke thoughts is any of that. The above would apply more to professionals of the game.
Old 21st June 2021, 13:10

Mood
Bored

"ogling women's bodies in the street. I do it discreetly" bit creepy
Old 21st June 2021, 13:27

Mood
Cynical

^ Noticing isn't the same as ogling though, I don't think. Pretty much everyone notices attractive people! But most people don't stand there staring obviously with their tongue hanging out, that's what I would class as ogling.
Old 21st June 2021, 13:48

Mood
Cynical

^^ I was only really trying to point out that your behaviour is completely normal and not something that "woke" followers like myself would have any problen with!
Old 21st June 2021, 14:45

Old 21st June 2021, 17:31

Yes, I’ve watched it. It isn’t ‘right-wing’ at all. People seem to think that anyone who doesn’t mindlessly repeat liberal-left views on everything is a neo-Nazi. Pathetic. I’m so glad GBNews exists. Anything that annoys smug, sneering, sanctimonious, Guardian-reading prats makes me happy. And I say that as someone with moderate, middle of the road political views. I’m right behind the Metoo movement and totally on the side of the LGBTQ community, but I cannot bear these little woke fanatics. It’s like a new religious cult.
Old 21st June 2021, 18:08

I don't imagine GB News is full of Nazis or anything, but it is chaired by Andrew Neil of The Spectator, which has form for publishing praise for actual fascists, so y'know...
Old 21st June 2021, 19:12

Mood
Cynical

The one thing I will say about Andrew Neil and Piers Morgan is that they've both had a track record of holding government ministers, of whatever party, to account when they're not doing their jobs properly or not telling the truth. If they're going to do that on this channel atleast that would be something.
Old 21st June 2021, 20:02

Mood
Worried

^ That’s true. There have been rare moments during the pandemic where I have agreed with Piers Morgan, which is a very bizarre situation. Generally can’t stand him though. Not exactly a man of integrity with his dodgyness.

With Andrew Neil, I often quite liked the things he said on This Week, which was that late night BBC political programme, which I’m not sure many people watched. I’m not sure I’m comfortable admitting I watched that
But then there’s his track record with The Spectator, his cosiness with Murky Murdoch, and now he’s gone into this ‘anti-woke’ territory.
Old 21st June 2021, 20:36

Mood
Cynical

"What is the meaning of "woke"?"

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/woke-wha...culture-387962

Original dictionary definition from 2017 - well informed, up to date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice.
Old 22nd June 2021, 00:51

Kipling said it better than I could.

In my case a lot of it isn't my thing, but that's not the issue; it's the authoritarianism that is unacceptable to me. Unhealthy for society and quite sinister. And I've confirmed myself as a bad gay because they've just gone too mad. (This isn't just about me wanting to go back and live in the late 90s.)
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:39

Mood
Cynical

^ The idea that the CIA is in any way "woke" rather than an organisation that people need to be aware of is hilarious.
Old 22nd June 2021, 13:49

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell20
Yes, I’ve watched it. It isn’t ‘right-wing’ at all. People seem to think that anyone who doesn’t mindlessly repeat liberal-left views on everything is a neo-Nazi. Pathetic. I’m so glad GBNews exists. Anything that annoys smug, sneering, sanctimonious, Guardian-reading prats makes me happy. And I say that as someone with moderate, middle of the road political views. I’m right behind the Metoo movement and totally on the side of the LGBTQ community, but I cannot bear these little woke fanatics. It’s like a new religious cult.
How many people do you actually know who are like this? I accept there are some incredibly fanatical woke people, but they seem very much in a minority. It seems to be exaggerated by the right wing media to get people all upset and angry. That’s what’s pathetic. How the right are getting red-faced angry about something that is just exaggerated by the media. Some of the media outlets seem to give the impression that all ‘millennials’ are this army of woke snowflakes, who are going to lower house prices in your area.
Old 22nd June 2021, 14:30

Andrew Neil ^, perhaps looking for the best journalistic talent for his new outfit.