SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th June 2022, 16:48
Banned at own request

Default Looking for a Job with very bad SA.

Hi

I'm slowly getting around to thinking about what sort of job I could apply and I just wanted some advise.

What sort of job do you think I should go for, I find it very hard to talk to people and my anxiety is really bad at the best of times
Old 5th June 2022, 20:06

Default Re: Looking for a Job with very bad SA.

Which sorts of areas interest you?

Would you like something computer based?
Would you prefer something outdoors?
Would you prefer something physical?
Working with animals?

Have you thought about volunteering to help build up social contact? It might also help you to discover what you'd like to do. There are a few charities that support people to get back into work.
Old 5th June 2022, 20:55

Some sort of voluntary work might be a good way of gently easing you into it and help build your confidence. Working for a charity and helping others can be very rewarding as well which could also help boost your confidence.

Do you have any qualifications or past work experience?
Old 22nd June 2022, 18:32
Banned at own request

Hi Guys

Due to my disability I cant do physical jobs however I would not mind picking up litter/computer work.

Also the social anxiety side would be tough, so maybe not a busy place.

Im desperate to get a job because it gets me out of the house earning in a position to get my own property to get away from my current situation
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:13

Mood
Sad

I would start with something voluntary, like a quiet charity shop possibly... that will give you so degree of structure and routine and also some exposure to people. With any luck, a small amount of exposure will help you feel better around people and will help in finding something that you want to do longer term. I definitely wouldn't try just jumping straight in because that might just make things worse if youre unsuccessful... something like voluntary work can be a very good stepping stone
Old 23rd June 2022, 09:24

Mood
Lucky

Have you filtered jobs by whether they're fully remote or not?

Working from home can be good for SA, until the isolation eventually makes it worse.

But it could be a good way to get an initial job, learn some skills, get some confidence, references, then look for a new job that's 50/50 remote/in person, when you are more employable.

https://dynamitejobs.com/how-to-find-remote-jobs
Old 23rd June 2022, 16:39

I think remote jobs are probably best for SA. Right now I pretty much work on my own without much supervision. I work in a room which is mostly quiet but people come in on odd days. Its nice and a change from the last temp job I had where I felt more self conscious about being quiet.

Ideally I'd love a permanent job working from home or another nice job in a friendly quiet company.

I don't think I could do any retail, customer service or phone work. Sitting waiting for the phone to ring at work knowing you have to deal with customers and people hearing your conversations is torture.
Old 23rd June 2022, 22:25

I wouldn't usually say this, but in your circumstances I feel it is different. Are you able to get help to move out? Are there any house shares where the landlord takes universal credit? Not usual I know but my sister once lived in one with Spaniards that came over with no job offer and they didn't care about references from your employer etc, they just basically moved you out if you didn't pay very fast (they were super dodgy landlords.)

I second voluntary work - also it gets you out of the house. Then proceed from there.