SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2023, 12:49

Default Latest Temp job

Just started another temp job which is actually not too bad. I'm on the highest hourly rate I've ever had and its a hybrid so I get to work from home 3 days a week and and the other 2 in the office. I'm working with 2 other temps who are both women.

I notice they are more sociable than me. The first day I am sat on the couch waiting to be shown what I'm doing and the second person to turn up sat on the couch opposite but I felt too anxious to start talking. Its awkward when you start a conversation and not knowing when to end it or worrying it might get awkward. In other situations I can start conversations with people and its fine because I know I'll probably never see them again. But in this environment I will try to talk to them when they are having a conversation or I feel compelled to contribute because they mentioned something related to me.

Its also a small office so the people there can be loud sometimes with their conversations with each other. Its so hard sometimes when you enter a new environment and you see how people are just so comfortable and they already have established relationships with each other.

Also its slightly further but not too bad as its only 2 days a week having to drive to the office. But as I finish at 5.30, it is starting to get dark and I don't like driving in the dark.

Ideally I would love to work fully remote with no contact with anyone other then maybe to email my boss questions and for her to sign my timesheet.

Another thing is I had to send her another email to ask her if she had signed it. I felt a little awkward doing this as to me it feels like I'm pestering but at the same time I must remind myself me and my fellow temps are doing a job nobody else has the time or inclination to do so they should appreciate that.

Also because I'm working with these other people doing the same job as me I don't feel I can leave before them. I look at the clock and I will be packed up by 5.27 but I feel like I have to leave dead on 5.30. I feel its ok to leave a couple minutes earlier as I always get to work early. I start at 9 and I will be there at 8.50. Its silly because its like I feel I have to wait for them and walk out with them like its some unwritten rule. And we go to lunch at the same time and all have lunch in our cars. We all park our cars in the same area but maybe I could go to the cafe or out in town for lunch a couple of times just to mix it up.

Its funny this job came up when I called back this Employment Agency who are actually based hundreds of miles away. They were trying to call someone else but just happened to have my CV from the reed website. They were looking for 4 people to do this job. I did make it clear to the consultant I am not looking for any customer service or telephone work. She didn't have a clear idea of what the work would involve, just general admin but its actually not too hard!

Its for 8 weeks and probably another 6 or 7 weeks to go. Everyone seems nice though but I'd love to find a job where I can feel settled, work there til I retire or find a way to become financially free and work for myself so I don;t have to keep chopping and changing.
Old 21st February 2023, 18:54

Default Re: Latest Temp job

Ooh hybrid sounds so nice. Could cope with a horrible commute if it wasn't five days a week.
Old 26th February 2023, 18:36

Default Re: Latest Temp job

Thing is every so often we have these teams meetings. Its annoying when you're working and the teams chat makes that sound. Especially when someone is calling you.

Ideally I would just like to be left alone to do the work without any interruptions. Its not so bad as I only have to drive to the office 2 times a week.