Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th July 2014, 20:59

Mood
Bored

Default Re: The Weather Thread!

Just started pissing down here. And so it begins...
Old 18th July 2014, 21:01

^ weve only had a few drops and some thunder, am i the only one excited about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinterrupted
Also,eeeek at storms on the way again,me no likey The cruellest irony of all is that it`s too ruddy hot to even hide under anything!
I don't understand what people are scared of , its amazing to watch and long as you don't stand outside with a long metal pole youll be fine .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic
Yes starting to make Landfall now, 12,000 strikes in the last hour from it no doubt it's a MCS but could have Supercell characteristics looks like it will effect most of the South East as well as London, start pulling the TV aerials if I was in that area this looks a beast and a once in 20 year event maybe.
once in 20 years eh, hope it doesn't disappoint .
Old 18th July 2014, 21:03

Crossing the channel seems to have taken some of the sting out of it. Still a pretty active storm though.

^It's gone to the East of you Jason. It's around about Maidstone now heading North.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:07

Sky looks so yellow, its weirds.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb
Crossing the channel seems to have taken some of the sting out of it. Still a pretty active storm though.
It will most likely "pep up" again it's entering 3500+ j/kg CAPE and LI of around -6c no doubt this will feed it more, could go on awhile. Lapse rates are high also, could become serious for S/E places soon.

I think Kent may loose power at some point as this goes over.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:17

Cells firing up to the west of the main Cell now SE of Oxford, it's all going on. Midlands could be in with a shout of storms soon if these can get organised!
Old 18th July 2014, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90
that pic looks like some cgi screenshot from a game , love lightning its beautiful to watch.

Can't wait, im gonna try get some pictures this time, hope its as good as last night.

Last night i learnt my weather thingy on my phone shows an animation for the current weather so it had lightning flashes and bolts.

Its too bloody hot, im sat with my fan on in my boxers and im sweating like a pig , genuinely almost walked home without a top due to the heat (not something i've ever done as it'd make me feel uncomfortable and self conscious) and i cant drink water fast enough.
Yeah, it doesn't seem to have any signs of being photoshop or anything, but I must say I was having a hard time believing it was real

I have an app on my phone that does that as well, when you click on the app, there's a lightning animation and the screen flashes, so cool

I tried opening the window to see if there was any cool breeze or anything. Bad idea, there's hardly any breeze and I just started to sweat even more, so bloody humid

Looking forward (and slightly nervous at the same time) for what could be a cracker of a storm tonight!
Old 18th July 2014, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinterrupted

Also,eeeek at storms on the way again,me no likey The cruellest irony of all is that it`s too ruddy hot to even hide under anything!
Hopefully they move in to the north sea before they get to you because you don't want them fingers crossed.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:43

Thundering and lightning here
Old 18th July 2014, 21:52

Mood
Lurking

Looks like St James's Park and Gravesend were the warmest places today, both reaching 32c. The nearest place to me listed in this table is East Midlands Airport and 28c was recorded here.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weath...mph&CEL=C&UD=0
Old 18th July 2014, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly.
I tried opening the window to see if there was any cool breeze or anything. Bad idea, there's hardly any breeze and I just started to sweat even more, so bloody humid

Looking forward (and slightly nervous at the same time) for what could be a cracker of a storm tonight!
Humidity sucks, its annoying because you cant really escape it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
Thundering and lightning here
Share!
Old 18th July 2014, 22:09

Mood
Lurking

Oh, and the warmest place in Europe today was Batman in Turkey. It reached 42c here.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weath...mph&CEL=C&UD=0

I didn't know that there is a place called Batman.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason90
Humidity sucks, its annoying because you cant really escape it.

Share!
Air Con?
Old 18th July 2014, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb

^It's gone to the East of you Jason. It's around about Maidstone now heading North.
Hope we dont miss out, especially after im excited about it. According to my phone theres a reasonable chance of some at midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic
Air Con?
Too poor for it , i have a fan that belonged to my nan .
Old 18th July 2014, 22:17

^^ That's what makes this weather in this country even worse, cause we just don't really have enough hot weather like this to justify having air-con units, well not in our homes anyway, 'tis annoying and fans don't do much other than just push hot air around the room, though obviously I've got one on anyway!
Old 18th July 2014, 22:25

Think I might have just seen a flash! And so it begins, I'm half excited for the sheer spectacle of the lightning, and half scared, cause I'm all alone in the house and I always worry a bit in thunderstorms, especially after hearing that the roof of a house was set on fire by lightning in the next village a few months ago.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:26

You guys are pretty unlucky, there's a nice cold breeze down here on my part of the coast. The problem being that I can't leave my window open because of flies etc
Old 18th July 2014, 22:46

An absolutely crazy photo I found on twitter, it seems far too incredible to be true, plus is that even possible? But nevertheless, it looks amazing, real or not! But if it is, I want to see it, I can't say I've ever seen lightning anywhere near this spectacular before, hope I might see some for myself tonight!

Any photoshop experts want to inspect the image? Cause I'm really having a hard time believing its entirely unedited!

Old 18th July 2014, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly.
An absolutely crazy photo I found on twitter, it seems far too incredible to be true, plus is that even possible? But nevertheless, it looks amazing, real or not! But if it is, I want to see it, I can't say I've ever seen lightning anywhere near this spectacular before, hope I might see some for myself tonight!

Any photoshop experts want to inspect the image? Cause I'm really having a hard time believing its entirely unedited!

Looks like that is from the US, maybe? With the electricity pylon (bottom right) resembling what they have in the US, although that could be a phone one. And the main bolt on the left on the right bottom fork it seems to be cut off a bit? Dunno could be a real pic.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:52

^ Ooh good investigative work, Logic, I like it! And yeah, I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it was from the US as they get crazy weather over there, but I would be amazed to see this sort of lightning over here! Though the guy is a journalist in London and claims its from last night.
Old 18th July 2014, 23:05

Cell pushing in to the Midlands now.
Old 18th July 2014, 23:05

I may be wrong, but I feel like its getting ominously closer!
Old 18th July 2014, 23:11

Oh its here, just saw a spectacular multi-forked strike across the sky and there's certainly no shortage of lightning out there, there must be over 10 different spots out there within about 30 miles, could be losing power soon as well, its getting scary!
Old 18th July 2014, 23:13

Soo hoping there is not a storm tonight. Didnt hear anything last night. I find lightning really scary for some weird reason
Old 18th July 2014, 23:18

Come on storm I'm waiting for you. Where the hell are you?!
Old 18th July 2014, 23:23

^ I haven't even had that. Just an overcast sky and quick bursts of rain. Stop mocking me storm!
Old 18th July 2014, 23:43

Trying to photograph the lightning's tricky! I waited 10 minutes with my finger on the shutter button and about 10 seconds after I took my finger off because it was aching, there was a spectacular strike
Old 18th July 2014, 23:52

Run a video of it and then use the stills from the video although will be low QL I dunno how people do it.
Old 19th July 2014, 00:01

^ Yeah, I have considered doing this, at least that way my arm and finger won't ache and I've had no luck at all so far, there was just 2 huge strikes, so I quickly got my camera again, and there's been nothing for 20 minutes lol.
Old 19th July 2014, 00:55

Kicking off here now with another cell east of IOW sparking in to life, Nocturnal cooling adding to instability and kicking things in to life, I love these set ups as just about anything can happen anywhere.