SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th February 2012, 23:54

Default Are you (males) comfortable with your feminine side?

Do you recognise any feminine side? Are you OK with it? Do you worry what others might think?

And are you women comfortable with your masculine side?
Old 18th February 2012, 23:56

Default Re: Are you (males) comfortable with your feminine side?

What's a "feminine side" ?
Old 19th February 2012, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy
What's a "feminine side" ?
I almost put that question in myself. I don't know, could be lots of things I guess. Anything normally considered a strong trait in women???
Old 19th February 2012, 00:17

I just don't believe in "sides", we're far more complex than that.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:18
Banned

Mood
Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark101
I cry at movies or sad documentaries,dunno if that's my feminine side or coz i'm just weak and wrong.
Think that just means you're human.
Old 19th February 2012, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy
I just don't believe in "sides", we're far more complex than that.
For example like mark says - crying at movies and stuff, I do that too. Problem is I'm not totally comfortable with it but there's nothing wrong with being sensitive.
Old 19th February 2012, 01:33

It doesn't bother me. I don't know whether that's just because I don't particularly care, or because I am overall quite masculine, so if there are a few exceptions to that it rally doesn't make any real difference to my overall gender identity.
Old 19th February 2012, 02:20

Mood
Alienated

..i dont think i have one?

dunno what it could even constitute! ..but the only example in here of crying at movies/documentaries ..ive never done so

if i have a long hard think about it and come up with what could be classed as a "feminine side" that i fit..well so be it....i dont really get the whole sides thing either..im just..me..miserable old grumpy bastard me
Old 19th February 2012, 02:48

I love to cook and bake, I like to see myself as a modern day Fanny Cradock. I have been known to cry, the end of Toy Story 3 being the last time. I guess if this was the 50s, I would be considered a nancy boy.
Old 19th February 2012, 02:49

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
Do you recognise any feminine side? Are you OK with it? Do you worry what others might think?
Yes, I recognise in myself aspects that society seems to see as feminine traits.

Am I ok with it? Too true I am. I love it.

Do I worry what others might think? No, I couldn't care less.

It's also nice that some of the hottest women I've ever known love a guy who embraces his supposedly more femine side, although I just see it as being well rounded and not in denial of certain human characteristics. Men are as capable of caring, nurturing and feeling as women are, but it's conditioned out of men and encouraged in women. I'm just more happy to keep hold of the bits that our society would prefer to condition out of me.
Old 19th February 2012, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
Yes, I recognise in myself aspects that society seems to see as feminine traits.

Am I ok with it? Too true I am. I love it.

Do I worry what others might think? No, I couldn't care less.
Excellent, I like it. Reckon I can do that too
Old 19th February 2012, 11:09

Mood
Balanced

I like some rom coms. I use moisturiser. I touch friends inappropriately when having a "man hug". That's about it. Maybe I'm not as in touch with my feminine side as I'd like to think so, as I've never had any female friends.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:16

Mood
Alienated

I am a big softy. I'm also quite geeky, which is kind of like a third gender - male but definitely not macho. I am trying to learn to accept this.

Being a softy ISN'T acceptable in my family and certainly wasn't acceptable at school when I was growing up. Smarter people seem to accept it though.

My physical appearance (big and tall) means that a lot of people assign me a macho role automatically - I'm often told I would make a good bouncer or bailiff or sergeant major despite me not having this character at all - I'd rather be lookng at videos of kittens on the Internet than be fighting in a pub car park.

I don't really have gender issues but I do have issues with the specific male role that people expect me to fill, if that makes any sense.
Old 19th February 2012, 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescing Elephant
which is kind of like a third gender - male but definitely not macho.
Blimey, don't invent a third! There's enough trouble trying to reach a consensus about two!
Old 19th February 2012, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupshy1
Can female be masculine, ? What traits wud u condsider masculine,
I think this might be more of a problem for men, we can be a bit sensitive about this.

Maybe not much problem for women, they all seem to want to be more masculine these days anyway. I can understand that, proves we had it right all along

I am joking there, I'm very happy to recognise the benefit of feminine traits - eg sensitivity and emotional understanding.
Old 19th February 2012, 13:31

Mood
Sunshine

i have a very feminine side, i like to cook,i like clothes and shopping,i spend time with my child, im very loving and can be very emotional and sensitive. plus i shave my balls for crying out loud lol can you get any more feminine then that? lol i also have a macho side too though, i think im pretty balanced, but some may say i am more intouch with my feminine side then the average bloke :-O
Old 19th February 2012, 13:35

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_Hate_You
I like some rom coms. I use moisturiser. I touch friends inappropriately when having a "man hug". That's about it. Maybe I'm not as in touch with my feminine side as I'd like to think so, as I've never had any female friends.
nothing funnier than going for the accidental manhood shake

I don't think I do much which is considered feminine. When I was talking with someone on my course about how I find nature quite emotional he mentioned 'ohh this is the soft side of Chris I don't see often'. I'm not ashamed to admit that I find natural things quite beautiful and get artistically vocal about it.

Other than that, give me Wine over Beer any day =] And I fooking love cooking. Even if it doesn't come out 100% all the time I just love it.
Old 19th February 2012, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 951thompson
plus i shave my balls for crying out loud lol can you get any more feminine then that?
You saying women shave their balls?
Old 19th February 2012, 13:55

Mood
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
You saying women shave their balls?
only the ones that stand up to take a wizz
Old 19th February 2012, 15:43

I do have quite a feminine side. I suppose the SA doesn't help, as males are 'supposed' to be confident and loud. I'm certainly not an 'alpha male'.

I'm sensitive and emotional, and I suppose sometimes I can be a little camp. I also like a lot of music which is considered 'gay' music.

Some people have assumed I'm gay, which does annoy me, and sometimes I do get worried that some people might think i'm gay. But, I don't think I care that I have a feminine side. I am who I am, and I think I should stop trying to be someone i'm not.
Old 19th February 2012, 16:22

I don't care about what people think about the things I like, theres nothing wrong with having feminine traits and I think of it as a positive. Some men who look down on any femine actions done by other men get really annoying.

People have asked me if I was gay as well, but I don't see anything wrong with being gay (im not) so I couldn't care less.
Old 19th February 2012, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupshy1
Can female be masculine, ? What traits wud u condsider masculine, some people wud say iam masculine, cos i can b stromg minded, if there is a goal in my life,i am not afraid to get stuck in at work and iam quite strong, physically, however i dont see them as masculine traits, i just think they are things that the majority of femsles dont explore, cos of there manicured nails
I think it's easier for a male to end up labelled as "feminine" than for a woman to be labeled as "masculine"...I mean, in a negative way.
Like as kids...I was always called a tomboy because I had messy hair and was the one running about getting dirty, but that was never much of an insult. But I had a friend who was a boy who liked to sit inside reading books and drawing pictures and stuff and he got called girly, which was a big insult. I don't know why one is supposed to be insulting and one isn't, but yeah, women doing masculine things usually isn't seen as such a big deal as men doing feminine things (which i think is totally wrong btw. Do what you like, who cares whether it's usually done by men or women)
Old 19th February 2012, 16:38
Banned

No worries. Need to discover my masculine side now which has proved elusive so far!
Old 19th February 2012, 16:53

Mood
Alienated

im starting to feel like a cock

everyone listing things they do that they think is the feminine side..the cooking, clothes shopping, getting emotional at things etc etc

i dont do any of that i dont mind making a pasta bake..but its not exactly "cooking" is it..

its not like im some macho macho man either, i hate sports/getting pissed and "pulling birds"..not particularly into cars..

i suspect the "geek" species is actually a 3rd gender..and its taken over ..yet if you saw me in the street i dont think anyone would say i looked a "geek" until they got to know me..

so what the hell am i!
Old 19th February 2012, 17:36

Mood
Crappy

you are YOU

masculine men are boring in my opinion. I can see how women are attracted to it though, its more of a sexual thing, nature. But god I can't see a lot of them having any real connection.

I do have emotional sides, I like the countryside and wildlife, architecture etc. I have cried recently after documentaries! But then again I also do like cars, football, I can slide into protective manly rages, and an attractive woman strutting down the road will get my attention. There's a mix there. I think my appearance doesn't scream masculinitiy at anyone, but my personality is very much a mixed bag.
Old 19th February 2012, 18:08

I`ve been told I deal with conflict in a more stereotypically male way,in so much I like a big old row,everything out in the open,and then done and forgotten about. Not saying all men are like that,or all women are into mindgames or sulking about something for weeks,just the women I`ve been around to be compared to! The things most women I know find "romantic" I usually find anything from giggly and cringy to utterly pukemaking or desperate. Most love songs make me heave a bit. Most of the time I live in jeans,T-shirts,hoodies,converse/boots etc and cba with make-up or jewellery.

However.

Sometimes I do like dressing up more,in a more "girly" way. I cry easily at a wildlife documentary or news item. I like baking,sewing and that kind of stuff.

So I guess when I think about it I`d say I was a mix,a big old messy one at that,like most people. 99.9% of the time (i.e. unless I`m on here) I don`t think about it though. I`m just me,whatever that may be. Good or bad,male or female,just me
Old 19th February 2012, 18:14

Mood
Mellow

Firstly why is cooking seen as a feminine trait?

Anyway, some people used to think I was a bit gay at my old job because I was not very macho (according to my alpha male ex-boss anyway). Though I like to think I'm fairly balanced and embrace both sides, I'm still convince though a lot men fake this macho and masculinity act because they would rather been seen as a straight man and have no one question their sexuality (I'm heterosexual myself).

My sense of humour can be a bit "camp" at times I admit, as an example a couple of years ago I saw a friend of mine walking down a road near me, I crossed over, pounced on him and started humping his leg like a dog in full view of a busy main road with a bus of people going past.

I just like to challenge this macho bullsh*t act at times I see all far too often...
Old 19th February 2012, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic

everyone listing things they do that they think is the feminine side..the cooking, clothes shopping, getting emotional at things etc etc

i dont do any of that i dont mind making a pasta bake..but its not exactly "cooking" is it..

its not like im some macho macho man either, i hate sports/getting pissed and "pulling birds"..not particularly into cars..

i suspect the "geek" species is actually a 3rd gender..and its taken over ..yet if you saw me in the street i dont think anyone would say i looked a "geek" until they got to know me..

so what the hell am i!

you are human and normal.
Pasta bake IS cooking IMHO
Old 19th February 2012, 18:56

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBuddha
Firstly why is cooking seen as a feminine trait?

I don't see cooking as a feminine trait at all. I just see it as rustling up something to eat so I don't starve to death.
Maybe that notion goes back to the days when men generally went out to work and women were generally the home maker. Even so, I don't see cooking as a feminine thing. Also, it's often said the best cooks/chefs are men anyway. I doubt Gordon Ramsey would see his job as feminine.
Old 19th February 2012, 19:00

Mood
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic

so what the hell am i!
thats your personality, nothing to be ashamed of, you are who you are! and i bet there is alot of people out there who would be attracted to that