SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th September 2006, 17:00

Default I'm resigning from the internet

I've reached this decision yesterday.

For about 3 or 4 years now I've spent practically all of my spare time hanging on the computer. All of it made me no good, really. Instead of doing something useful, like reading or studying or exercising, or whatever, I spent days wasting my time talking to strangers on chat boards and messengers (and I know it is a waste of time, I feel that way), wasting eyes, back and nerves. Of course it had to do with my SA, but I'm not sure if computer addiction caused SA, or if the SA is the cause of my comp. addiction.

I'm a computer addict, I've finally realised that myself. My parents have tried to talk to me numerous times, but I never listened. Once I get in front of the screen, it's over - no way I'll get off for hours except to get to the food and favourite TV shows. There's no in-between, I'm either on the black or I'm on the white. Being moderate is too hard for me. Thinking of it makes me wanna start doing some intense aerobics instantly. My carpal tunnel syndrom only rushed my decision.

I've been here for a short time and was only getting to know people, but this has to do with you too. You're SA-ers like me. I'm pretty sure there are more wretches like myself amongst you. Well, to them: Wake up, because what you loose is time and social skills, and all you possibly gain are hemoroids.

I'm leaving now. I got on my nerves again.

Over and out. So long.
Old 14th September 2006, 17:27

Default Re: I'm resigning the internet

i know what you i mean to spend hours and hours searching for answers to cure my problems rather than doig anything about them
Old 14th September 2006, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoenix
i know what you i mean to spend hours and hours searching for answers to cure my problems rather than doig anything about them
I know exactly what you mean too, though my internet usage followed a somewhat different pattern. Over the last 3 or 4 years since graduating from uni I wasted so much of my free time browsing the most mundane and pointless sites when I could have been trying to plan to do more exciting things. Really should have known better. Without wanting to sound preachy and OTT, whatever your ambitions, of course it`s difficult for people with SA, but do try and get on with it as quickly as possible, because wasting some of your (arguably) best years doing effectively nothing is very depressing.
Old 14th September 2006, 22:37

Mood
Thinking

well if you really managed to take the plunge into the real world and leave all this behind then you'll probably won't read this BUT i thought i'd just say a BIG CONGRADULATIONS! anyway and no am not being sarcastic...speaking from experience the internet can be just as any drug - very VERY addictive. A few years back i spend the whole summer (about 3/4 months) talking to people on the net and pursuing a single friendship in particular (both of which ended badly and got me depressed for a long while)...I literally used to stay awake untill 6am in the morning rest untill 11am next day and go back on. I've noticed some people on the msn list are ALWAYS on and seem to me to be hooked just the way i was...its frightening. Some people are diffrenet and seem to be able to drift in an out quite easily but perhaps that's because they're lives are relatively fulfilling outside this place...either they have a friend or two or good hobbies or go out more etc etc...but if you're quite a lonely person and especially with sa then it can seem that this place injects some life into your life however it is not real and its easy to forget about the outside world. I am one of those people and still find myself getting 'sucked in' as i call it and have to physiclaly restrain myself from going on. I know it sounds funny - its only internet for goodness sake, but as i said i think it becomes more than that to lonely, self-councous and non-confident people such as myself.

Okey enough rambling...i hope going cold turkey is going well and am sure you'll be happier in a short while!

(i hope this didn't sound like a preaching session)
Old 15th September 2006, 09:14

Mood
Pensive

Some people somehow manage to limit their internet usage and stick to their limits but lots of people are unable to do this and it can take over their lives. I fit into this category although I do other things as well but am not ready to give it up so well done titra for taking this step.
I hope you will find your life more enriching without the internet and that it helps you make progress.
Old 15th September 2006, 19:26

Mood
Blah

Im also one of those that cant limit my internet time. But thats mainly cos I dont really have anything better to do with my time. I cant believe I admitted that.
But good luck to you titra if you think you can find other interests.
Old 17th January 2007, 16:21

Nope. Couldn't do it.

Welcome me back

:suicide:
Old 17th January 2007, 16:29
Administrator

Mood
Tired

Welcome
Old 17th January 2007, 16:30

I usually spend too much time on the internet in winter because its too cold to go out and winter depresses me anyway!...although come summer im usually out alot and that keeps me away from it but i couldnt give my internet up all together because i find it very useful and supportive especially sites like this.
ps welcome back titra hehe
Old 17th January 2007, 17:01

Post Re: I'm resigning the internet

One of us ... One... of... us...
Old 17th January 2007, 17:20

Why, thank you for the warm reception.

I shall now resume my major superskill of Surfing while Hunched Squinting at the Screen.
/me resumes her major superskill of Surfing while Hunched Squinting at the Screen
Old 17th January 2007, 17:21

Mood
Mellow

I know the computer addiction thing well, there was a point where I thought nothing of spending the whole day and most of the night too online, mostly chatting.
But on a practical note it's not good unless you firstly look after yourself, eat right, take breaks, get some exercise and secondly derive some good from it.
Personally the internet has become something of a lifeline, I didn't have anyone to talk to before choosing to start participating on this site and in chat.
However it is highly addictive, maybe for us in particular because we find solace in having some human contact, and the internet allows us this without us having to necessarily face SA fears, although I have to say that my SA does pop up online too. I
think that the only way to truly break free of the addiction is to really, really want to, next a good way might be to slowly withdraw, cutting yourself off, only makes it seem like something you are denying yourself. And those things we deny ourselves are usually things we really want, if you really want to be online, you'll find a way to rationalise coming back online.
Set yourself goals, I won't be online for so long or before or after a set time, get a clock or a timer if it helps and give yourself set amounts of time online. And reward yourself for those times you actually successfully remain offline, you won't stay offline if you don't feel like it's any better than being online, and don't beat yourself up, if you do come online. Sometimes it's just what you need.
I dunno if this is any help, but it's techniques I've used, and they've helped me, so I thought I'd mention em, oh and a useful little tool is workrave it's a break monitor, but you can set the time to anything you like. Just google workrave.
Bugs :multi:
Old 17th January 2007, 17:40

I'll give Workrave a try, but only because my hands really ache. I get carried away when confronted with pixels, get cramps and then realize I overdone it again.
I've just installed it and it's cool. I like those exercises. Thanks.

Perhaps I should consider to literally break the monitor.
Old 17th January 2007, 17:46

Mood
Mellow

That's certainly one way

Bugs :multi:
Old 17th January 2007, 23:35
Marley's Ghost

I've resigned from the internet several times over the past twelve months, but it's never lasted. The internet totally takes over my life, unfortunately, and I think it makes me feel physically bad as well, but I'm trying to cut down my time on it atm.
Old 18th January 2007, 05:56

Your eating a kebab at 5:30 in the morning? why? and where the hell did you get it from?
Sorry just being nosey
Old 18th January 2007, 10:14
muppet

I agree it can make you physically ill, it can stress you out and just like reality....it can let you down when you need it most!
Old 18th January 2007, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman
I've got a simple rule now in life, only do things you enjoy.

I've done a few things I don't enjoy, and I'm only 37.

If it makes you happy, collecting stamps, reading telephone directories, growing big sunflowers, whatever, it doesn't matter, as long as you're not harming anyone else, who cares?

It really doesn't matter, life's too short.

Enjoy yourself.

But at the same time I'll say you've got to get out there and give life a bash. Be an eccentric but at the same time take life on.

That's my philosophy (don't laugh).
I'm not laughing. You're right. Only I wish it was that easy. D'you think I'd mind being a placid casual? Anyway, what I have to say now doesn't belong in this topic anymore. Btw I'll give reading-telephone-directories a try because it sure sounds like loads of thrilling fun! I'll start with C and before you know it I'll be on a G!! I might even skip a page!! OMG, OMG!!!

Quote:
Bananaman (Bloody hell, I've got a chess match tonight and I'm knackered and eating a kebab at half five in the morning. I'm gonna get thrashed).
How did it go? (Tell me more about the kebab. )

Quote:
p.s:" collecting stamps, reading telephone directories, growing big sunflowers" I should add that I do none of these things, how dare you even think of such a thing...I did however play league ping-pong. Stop sniggering.
I'm not sniggering, ping-pong is a noble sport.
Old 19th January 2007, 00:28

I try and view the Internet like any other useful resource, as it does have a lot of benefits, but yes I defentally feel you can waist a lot of time on it, where it can go past being a leisure activity / useful tool, through to an addictive pain in the arse
Old 19th January 2007, 02:42

i THINK deep down we are sa or anxiety.....so we ponder on the negative things as OPPOSED to the POSOTITIVE aspects of everyday life and what why where who or when we choose to make DECISIONS.....we the royal WE make in life....stop the internet stop sex stop spontanious REACTIONS stop living.....its because ur a SENSATIVE soul u question ur reactions.....i believe u put this post up BECAUSE ur not sure....if ur not SURE question why ur questioning ur typing.....im a very CONFIDENT drunk....but i dont question why i drink.....kapeesh....if i die a drunk....ill feckin die trying to be POSOTIVE for you lot....im happy on 2 x bottle of whisky....cost a fortune but im a war veteran....and just done ten years where i LOVED a lady but coz of the only NEGATIVE in my life ....ie booz...i guess i chose whisky...she chose another MAN....but dont mean to say i havnt got feelings....i worshipped the women....so DO NOT doubt ur self m8.....if you TRULY are looking for love or summit then id suggest you dont hang up on these lot.....never close the door.....always keep it open.....you never know eh.....be POSOTIVE....just my humble opinion.....
Old 19th January 2007, 03:18

its funny but u make me larf.....wheres me julie never mind the f in pop corn...?
Old 19th January 2007, 03:31

Perhaps you can draw up a hierachy 10am internet 12pm walk, 3pm exposure etc.... the rest internet lol..when ya aggy not alot to do but I know i should be out there now attempting to walk down the rd.. But i still need the net for distractino during panic, entertainment movies etc..songs !.. balance i guess but before being so all or nothing thinking try that first draw up a timetable might work and not being so hard on yaself like packing it away OJ
Old 19th January 2007, 04:08

outback im a recluse since i lost my reason to go out....namely ur sig...ie a bird...ten bloody years.....but hey....i did some exposure....war love and poetry....
http://www.forcespoetry.co.uk/

look up craig under authors.....yep thats me folks.....so dont EVER think im NOT on ur side....smoking for england.....but hell wot i put into my body doesnt corrupt my soul....RIGHT....i hate authority....i hate rules and i love love and hate hate....kapeesh....nicked that saying kapeesh of that film with bruce willis in that hijacked building....and that cocky twot says kapeesh just before the german blows his brains out....hell im craig...maybe i want to be JUST accepted....normal....innit katona....****in normans do my head in....so .....ahem...
Closed Thread