Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th July 2012, 09:12

Mood
Inspired

Default Fully Overcoming SA

Do you honestly ever fully overcome social anxiety?
Old 27th July 2012, 09:46

Mood
Asleep

Default Re: Fully Overcoming SA

I never have but I know how to keep it under control. Years of practice. I'm practically Jurassic.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:03
Banned at own request

Although i haven't overcame it i think we can learn manage SA better and reduce our SA levels. I think SA is a natural emotion it's just that we feel the emotion more than others which makes it harder for us to cope with.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:45

Mood
Bored

I think it will always be with me, it's in my nature. In a sense I'm happy with the way I am, or rather who I am, that thing deep down that is 'me'. The problems that hold me back or restrict me and stop me enjoying the things I want, or where I want to be can be combated and challenged over time, and I can improve and deal with the difficulties. I'm begining to realise that now, whereas before it just seemed hopeless.
Old 28th July 2012, 14:10

It could end today if I took peoples advice not to panic or try control myself and limit my life out of the fear that Something Bad Will Happen but because it's a subjective experience within our minds only we can change it.

I have known or know of lots of people who have completely transformed their lives from being worse than me so I think if you adopt small, gradual changes and transform your life and outlook so that it's completely unrecognisable from the one it is today then it can be beaten.
Old 29th July 2012, 19:38

I don't think it could be possible to completely overcome it. I thought I'd got over the most of it a couple of months back, but its come back in full swing lately.
Old 29th July 2012, 19:45

Mood
Pensive

Yes I thought i got over it then..... overwhelm....
Old 29th July 2012, 21:52

Mood
Pensive

mabey when im 60 I dont think u care about what people think at that age
Old 29th July 2012, 21:56

Mood
Balanced

I am extremely close, so I would say it is possible. When I first joined this site in early 2009 I was a completely different person. I am still quiet with an occasional bout of shyness, but my anxiety is virtually gone. I can go almost anywhere without worrying a single bit.

I took the motto "Just get on with it" and turned it into reality. It works. I admit that I still get phone anxiety but it's much better than it was before.
Old 29th July 2012, 21:58

I think you can get over it. It's just bloody difficult!

I'd say I've got over it, but I still have some related issues. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself
Old 29th July 2012, 22:06
davehedgehog

not sure about getting over it as i would say it's just part of my character i'm an introvert and i'm not that fussed on being around people can i function in every day life yeah i think so definitely a lot better than when i was say 16 so i would say i've over come it enough to achieve the things i wanted to. don't really get anxious any more but some of that may be down to avoidance but in my mind that's something which confuses me sometimes i think i don't do certain things because i don't enjoy them and other times i think it's just me avoiding them. pass dunno.

there was a time when i couldn't leave the house couldn't go to a shop couldn't use the phone all these things i can now do so that must be a positive.
Old 2nd August 2012, 01:17

Mood
Alienated

I more or less did become free from SA once. For about 9 months. All due to a medicine called Phenelzine (Nardil). I craved attention and friendship. Became somewhat extrovert, got my 1st job in 7yrs, my 1st proper gf, my own flat, totally independant. My doc said i was NOT hypomanic. Then it faded slowly but surely. I wish i combined it with CBT. But at least I had a taster of what its like to live free from this stubborn sucker of an illness!