SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th September 2012, 20:50

Mood
Balanced

Default Never blushed before and now can't stop doing it

Hey, this is a bit of a weird one...

When I started college about 3 weeks ago I suddenly did something I'd never done before- As my lecturer spoke to me I felt my face burn and I knew I had blushed big time. I know this is probably quite normal for most of us but I have never had problems with blushing in all 21 years of my life and all of a sudden I'm doing it every day!

At first I thought it was just with specific lecturers (Only the male ones which probably gets people thinking that I fancy them ) But I soon found out that I started blushing in front of my boyfriend and even my own mum! Sometimes during class the back of my neck feels burning hot and I feel so uncomfortable. The more I try to stop blushing, the hotter my face gets and blushes even more. Although sometimes I just blush completely randomly without thinking about it.

I just want to know why something I've always been free of has just decided to plague me now, and at the most non blush-worthy times
Old 25th September 2012, 00:21

Mood
Lonely

Default Re: Never blushed before and now can't stop doing it

Honestly I don't have a clue, but I didn't want this thread going down the list with no one responding.

In my opinion it sounds like you blushed the first time and now everytime a similar situation arises you remember blushing before and do so again. It's become sort of a mental bad habit.
Only advice I could give is try and beat it next time, think of something else.

I remember I used to get stage fright in primary school, a teacher told me I needed to stop looking at all the people looking at me therefore scaring myself but instead pick an object at the back of the room and focus on it. It actually works and I still do it today in nervous situations.

Hope that helps.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:19

I started blushing more in my late teens I think, despite not having a problem with this before...or maybe I did and I just didn't notice. I don't know what would cause it though.

I also have a problem with blushing at lecturers and the like, so I can sympathise with you there. It tends to happen when someone suddenly makes eye contact with me. I certainly hope none of them think I fancy them, but I do worry about it sometimes!
Old 26th September 2012, 21:31

Mood
Spaced

I think blushing is rather cute and not something to worry about People often find out that I blush when they tell rude jokes or embarrassing stories and will say those things on purpose to make me blush, but it's one symptom that really doesn't bother me at all.

I have noticed that even really confident people on my uni course will blush if they put their hand up to ask a question in front of everyone. I have also noticed that people often blush when given birthday cards or other nice things. These observations make me think blushing is something everyone does when people look at their reactions and they feel "on the spot" and it's not just an SA thing
Old 26th September 2012, 21:59

Mood
Dreaming

Nothing wrong or 'weird' or IMO embarrassing about blushing. It's human.. I seriously doubt anyone would care/be bothered about it though unless they have issues themselves. Infact I think it's nice because it shows the other person has feelings and emotions as well and makes it easier to talk to them.

I realize this is much harder said than done but perhaps if you could stop caring it won't matter and most likely not happen anyway. win, win.
Old 26th September 2012, 22:50

Mood
Balanced

Thanks for the replies guys, I know its meant to be an asset and its all in the mind. I get so terrified of blushing that i even did it today just walking into the classroom and sitting down. I really want to contribute to class discussions but i cant for knowing i'll turn beetroot red whenever people look at me. Does anyone have any experiences with getting over blushing? Its difficult to simply forget it happens
Old 27th September 2012, 21:45

Mood
Insomnious

sorry to hear your struggling with blushing, I am the same..
I never used to blush but now I blush all the time, and if i feel tired or stressed (which is alot of the time) then its pretty bad and really gets me down... Its really a big part of my SA problems because it makes me standout when I dont want too...
I do feel that if I could some how master that side of my SA then I would feel much much better withi myself.
I dont think there is a particular way of getting over it, its the sort of thing that you have to learn to accept i think and then maybe one day it wont bother us...
Old 30th September 2012, 02:24

Mood
Chatty

just posted a thread about blushing because iam so worried about blushing too! ive been blushing since the age of 14. I suppose its just one of those things...its easier said than done but you just need to think sod it, if i go red i go red. you have to try and accept it. once youve accepted that your a blusher life just goes on and the less you think about it the easier social situations become.
Old 30th September 2012, 15:19

Mood
Lucky

Hey guys and girls
I too am a frequent blusher and thats the worse thing about bein anxious.
I hate it but I dunno what can you do, just gotta take the good with the bad and try and be positive i guess.

If any of you are interested heres a site i use occassionally.

http://www.esfbchannel.com/forum/index.html

Cheers