SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 14th September 2021, 18:16
Formershyguy Formershyguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Default Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

So today I was having a meeting with my Boss. He's a nice guy and haven't actually met him face to face yet as its all been on Teams. We were having a meeting today and he asked me if I could stay a little longer on a 3 month fixed term contract. He said he needs to know by tomorrow so he can advertise the role.

The thing is I'm struggling, not so much with the work as I'm getting used it to it now although made a few mistakes but easy enough to fix. Its just that awkwardness of being in the office with all these people who already have this working relationship. I notice how people are having a laugh with each other and talking to each other.

There is this one guy who seems to feel sorry for me who will chat to me, ask me how I'm doing.

But I just can't deal with this agony of feeling uncomfortable everyday, not knowing anyone, feeling like the outsider and feeling tense when it comes time to go home because it highlights how I am not saying goodbye to anyone.

Now if I could work from home for the entire length of the contract I would consider it but I feel bad because the other people in the office are working in the office. Anyway I don;t think my boss would go for that so probably better just to tell him I will work up until the original end date which was mid to end October.

It probably seems silly to turn it down knowing I might be out of work again but I think I can afford to be out of work for a couple of months atleast. Ideally I would just like to work fully remote or even just part time.

Its not the worst job I've had. There's no one nasty but I feel people are just cold toward me. Maybe thats my fault and they don't know how to talk to me but I have worked in places where it was just a joy to work.

My plan is to save as much money as I can with the time I have left and look for another job in my final week.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14th September 2021, 18:30
biscuits biscuits is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: in the tin.
Posts: 1,408
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Hi,

Could you say yes to staying on for three months and look for something else in the meantime? You'd be in work and in a job where you vaguely know what you're doing. That way you don't need to rush finding a new job as you could end up rushing and having to take something you don't like just because you have to.

Staying there would make the process of finding a new job a little bit more relaxed and calmer.

If it's making you miserable then fair enough, but if it's fairly bearable then I'd stay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15th September 2021, 09:17
Tonkin Tonkin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 763

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

You could try saying you'll only stay on if you can work from home?

If you work from home, it doesn't matter how the rest of the team feel as you won't have to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy

But I just can't deal with this agony of feeling uncomfortable everyday, not knowing anyone, feeling like the outsider and feeling tense when it comes time to go home because it highlights how I am not saying goodbye to anyone.
I can totally relate. I've been in that situation many times. I now work from home full time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15th September 2021, 13:36
Formershyguy Formershyguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
You could try saying you'll only stay on if you can work from home?

If you work from home, it doesn't matter how the rest of the team feel as you won't have to see them.



I can totally relate. I've been in that situation many times. I now work from home full time.
Haha funnily enough With my meeting with my boss when he asked me if I'd thought any more about the extension I said I'd only consider it if I could work from home. I told him I want to be close to my mum as she had health problems as that's the best reason I could come up with. She does have health problems which is the truth, arthritis, she smokes a lot and shes on medication for schizophrenic disorder.

If it's not possible I'll just agree to work til mid to end october as I was told before.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16th September 2021, 09:55
Tonkin Tonkin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 763

Mood
Lucky

Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Well done for asking (don't mean to sound patronizing)!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16th September 2021, 17:39
Formershyguy Formershyguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
Well done for asking (don't mean to sound patronizing)!
Thats ok! Just hope I can do it. There have been some issues with the work, not my fault but things just happen especially with spreadsheets. And it means I don't know what to do other than ask the girl who is training me. She had to sort something out I was supposed to do.

To be honest I was feeling so much anxiety today I was thinking of just walking out. I had it planned in my head, I would either just walk out at lunch time and just email the Agency or leave at 4 and just leave the laptop on my desk with my pass.

Its funny because some places I've worked no one would really notice my behaviour because there were either too many people to even care or I had a great working relationship with the people I worked with

I see a couple of people trying to help me fit in but all I can offer is one word answers. I mean when someone ask you "how are you?" how are you supposed to answer but with a "yeah, I'm good" I mean what do they want? a long speech? lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th September 2021, 13:00
Aelwyn Aelwyn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South West
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formershyguy
I mean when someone ask you "how are you?" how are you supposed to answer but with a "yeah, I'm good" I mean what do they want? a long speech? lol
Maybe you could try asking how they are, how long they've worked there, do they have a long commute, just something to make you look more interested?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th September 2021, 17:03
Formershyguy Formershyguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelwyn
Maybe you could try asking how they are, how long they've worked there, do they have a long commute, just something to make you look more interested?
Yeah I know I probably should but I can't bring myself to do it for some reason. Also I've been thinking about quitting because some aspects of this job is givign me stress. I've picked up most of the work pretty well and they are happy with me in that respect but there have been some issues arise with some of the work. Not that its my fault as I'm doing my best to get things right but sometimes errors just come up and I have to action them quickly.

This is giving me stress. Also my boss will message me on Teams to do some task while I'm working on something else. Now I'm not inundated but I could do without him messaging me all the time, unless of course I am free or I need help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th September 2021, 11:12
Aelwyn Aelwyn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South West
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Work Extension? Don't think I can do it!

Sorry you're getting so stressed. I agree it's awful being interrupted all the time - my favourite (for want of a better word) jobs were always where I was left to get on with something in peace.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43.


SAUK Award
Logo designed by abc
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.