SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th August 2015, 14:47

Default Moving Out First Time - In Full Time Work Or A Mature Student?

Hi all,

Thought this would be more relevant in this section as I've just turned 30 this year.

Anyways, most of my friendships and relationships have started to fizzle out over the last few years. Whilst I have remained single and worked full-time, all of my close friends / siblings have got partners, moved out/away from the area, leaving me largely on my own for the first time in my life.

I live with my parents, but now practically have zero social life. It's very daunting, and although I want to approach this with a glass half full attitude, it's a bit deflating when everybody else around you is getting married/shoving baby pictures in your face on Facebook.

So, I've decided regardless of the SA I have to have a go at being independent and living on my own, I know deep down I can do it but have been thinking of my day to day life.

My job is very secure, and I've been there for a few years, but there is no real banter or chat in the office. It leaves me on edge thinking it's just me, but after a bit of research around the office i've discovered practically all of them have a partner/kids. Basically they have a life outside of work so they probably enjoy the quiet office.

I've been a keen musician for years and have noticed you can enrol as a mature student in music courses. It really appeals to me as I never went to uni first time round and went straight into full-time work at 18. Although some might consider it a step back/career suicide if i were to drop everything and try being a student.

The way I see it, I could get a student flat for cheap in a sought-after area of the city, also (shamefully) get a grant/loan for studies/rent and try the student life out, I could always bail after a year and go back to work (admittedly with a few debts to pay, however i'm yet to cross that mythical £21k barrier after 12+ years of working).

Advice/ideas will be gratefully received!
Old 27th August 2015, 21:08

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Moving Out First Time - In Full Time Work Or A Mature Student?

the practical side of me feels that it would be a net loss to forgo a steady, reliable income for the chance to go back to Uni and basically use that as a chance to meet people (which, reading between the lines, I'm assuming is what's mainly behind this? )
that part of me feels that you could just as easily do a night class or try and join a band,
(band members are often advertised for in local studios or music press ) - and still carry on with a reliable source of income,

of course, feeling like most of your close friends and people you could relate to have moved on and like you've been left behind you'd naturally feel lost and somewhat alone,

so another part of me feels like this is a chance to make up for lost time and let your soul breathe by indulging in your passion for music,

in that case,.. would it be at all possible to continue at your parents and go for the music course?
or does a part of you feel like both go together,. the music course AND moving out ?

personally,. I'd go for working full-time and having music as a passion you indulge in in your spare time,. but then I'd shit myself at the idea of leaving work to go to something as financially insecure as going to full-time college and moving out.