SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th May 2021, 19:43

Default Leaving my new job - Advise?

Hi guys,

Hope you all are well.

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I started a new job 2 and a half weeks ago, but spoke to my line manager today and told her I want to leave as it's triggering my OCD. Basically, this new job triggers one of my major OCD themes, and it's been a huge struggle for me. I knew it would be challenging, but I didn't really anticipate that it would be effecting me to this extent. I also kind of lied to my boss, I told her I also got another job lined up and the reason I said that was because I worried they'd try to convince me to stay and amend my position there to accommodate my needs, which is exactly what I wouldn't want, I would rather leave than be a burden to all the hard working people I work with, I couldn't work there knowing I'm getting paid the same as my colleagues for doing less of the real work.

So, like I said, I told my manager today that I want to leave due to my mental health and that I've got another job lined up. She was fully supportive and understood. She understood that the nature of what we deal with is tough for people.

Then, later in the day, my service manager wanted to talk to, took me in the office and she was a bit harsh on me. I completely understand the position I've put her in, it's not fair on her or the team, I totally get it. She expressed her disappointment, but understood where I was coming from. However, she wants me to stay until they get a replacement, which could possibly take up to 2 months. I said I'll get back to her tomorrow.

I understand why she'd be p*ssed at me, and that me leaving after only 2 weeks is a dog move by me, but I need out asap, I leave work every day with a dark cloud over me dealing with cases that triggers one of my OCD themes.

Basically, I'm being pressured to staying longer, and I'm not sure what to do or say or how to approach my service manager when I get back to them tomorrow.
Old 24th May 2021, 21:11

Default Re: Leaving my new job - Advise?

Hi Jam,

Sorry that your new job is triggering your OCD

That is really sweet that they will adapt the role to support you . Maybe that might help to gradually build up to the things that trigger you? No worries if you feel like that won't be the case- you know your OCD and its triggers better than anyone.

Perhaps you could explain that you've thought a lot about it and that the way it is triggering your OCD is too much at the moment. Your MH and well-being comes first, always. It might cause them a bit of mild inconvenience, but they'll find someone (never as ace as you, of course!).

Hope tomorrow goes well for ya x
Old 24th May 2021, 23:59

Hi Jam, welcome back

Your mental health comes first, always, and if staying on any longer at this new job is going to have an adverse effect on your health then you should leave as soon as you need to and not feel at all bad about it. I'm sure other people could quite easily be found to fill your position so it's not at all fair of your Manager to make you feel guilty. If she suffered with OCD, or had someone close to her that did, then she would understand that you can't just chug a long for another 2 months feeling the way that you do.

If your employer has offered to amend your position to accommodate your needs then it's a pity if you don't at least give this some consideration. I mean, your Boss must feel that you have an awful lot to offer and doesn't want to lose you for her to have suggested these changes. I don't think that any intelligent colleague would feel that you were slacking when it's apparent that your OCD makes certain duties more difficult to perform. I would like to think that most people are far more enlightened about mental health and employment than they were 10 years ago.

However, if you really don't feel that this job is for you then I wish you all the very best in finding something that is more suitable.
Old 25th May 2021, 08:05

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It's given me the motivation and confidence to stick to my guns and hand in my notice today. I know I've disappointed them, and I feel like a complete failure for leaving after two weeks, but as you all have pointed out, i have to put my mental health first.
Old 28th May 2021, 23:17

Mood
Doubtful

Hi Jam, If you don't think any adjustments could be made that would genuinely help you do the job without triggering your OCD, I would work the minimum notice you can. Your health is more important than anything. I have a problem with leaving jobs as soon as I start to feel too anxious or like I'm not performing well enough in them. I have joined an organisation to try to help me stay employment. As long as you don't get into a regular cycle like me, Idon't see why you should be guilted into staying longer in an unsuitable job than you need to.
Old 30th May 2021, 12:35

Mood
Crappy

I may be possibly losing my job soon. It's my only real place where I socialize outside my family. I've been looking for new jobs but the thought of starting a new job and going through the interview process terrifies me. I'm just about managing at the moment.