SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th July 2022, 01:49

Mood
Tired

Default I hate summer heatwaves; loneliness

Here's why;
  • EVERYONE has TONS of friends ALWAYS availble
  • Everyone's in couples
  • There's NO people on their own
  • You feel like everyone is 'enjoying the weather' and if you mention you feel lonely you'll be doing something wrong

Commuting back from work, I went along the seafront and all I saw were;
  • Couples
  • Massive groups of friends (I wish I had 10 to 15 friends)
  • Families
There's almost No-one on their own.

That feeling, that no-one is in the same situation. Everyon'e got tons and tons and tons (5-15) friends and is never forced to be alone.

It wouldn't be so bad if there was people to bump into.

Summer is apparently the loneliest time of year besides Christmas and Valentines Day. Where's the evidence? Am I the only one?

You people in couples are so arrogant, out-of-touch & wallowing in your pleasure to the point you have no empathy and can't relate to times you felt lonely in summer (if at all, I hope you're human). Those couples that SCOWL at people on their own. I hope they get a taste of their own medicine.

Why do people laugh & sneer at people who're not with friends? I'd like to see them getting a taste of their own medicine if they're in that boat & learn some humility and kindness.
Old 14th July 2022, 11:56

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: I hate summer heatwaves; loneliness

I think, like you say, these are feelings and perceptions you're having. There are quite a lot of people who don't have lots of friends, aren't in partnerships or maybe don't have family living nearby.

When I'm walking to the shops on days like today there are always lots of people on their own going about their business.

Do you have any hobbies that take place in groups? Like cycling, sports teams....etc? If you were regularly doing things with groups maybe you'd feel a bit less lonely.
Old 14th July 2022, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowone
You people in couples are so arrogant, out-of-touch & wallowing in your pleasure to the point you have no empathy and can't relate to times you felt lonely in summer (if at all, I hope you're human). Those couples that SCOWL at people on their own. I hope they get a taste of their own medicine.

Why do people laugh & sneer at people who're not with friends? I'd like to see them getting a taste of their own medicine if they're in that boat & learn some humility and kindness.
Do you think it's actually likely that this is happening, or perhaps just you projecting your feelings onto them?

I sometimes think people are laughing at me when I walk past them in the street, but if I reflect on it afterwards with logic I can usually change my conclusion to they were probably listening to a funny podcast, or chatting to a friend on their phone, or were simply smiling at a stranger (me). People in couples or groups who look at you and smile or laugh are likely to just be having fun together and their eyes meet yours because people often do look at strangers when they're walking around outside. Catching your gaze while they're in the middle of smiling, laughing, scowling, sneering, whatever, with others probably has nothing to do with you. I don't think we appear on random people's radars anywhere near as much as we think we do.
Old 15th July 2022, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Do you think it's actually likely that this is happening, or perhaps just you projecting your feelings onto them?

I sometimes think people are laughing at me when I walk past them in the street, but if I reflect on it afterwards with logic I can usually change my conclusion to they were probably listening to a funny podcast, or chatting to a friend on their phone, or were simply smiling at a stranger (me). People in couples or groups who look at you and smile or laugh are likely to just be having fun together and their eyes meet yours because people often do look at strangers when they're walking around outside. Catching your gaze while they're in the middle of smiling, laughing, scowling, sneering, whatever, with others probably has nothing to do with you. I don't think we appear on random people's radars anywhere near as much as we think we do.
Agreed I find it really easy to make these sorts of assumptions. It does feel like everyone is out having fun during summer, but if you could look in peoples homes I'm sure you'd find even more people (like me) in their boxers playing video games

I also think there's a lot to enjoy about being out in the sun alone. You can go and do whatever you like, no kids pestering you for ice cream. I walked past a very upset couple yesterday and it made me quite happy to be single. The heat I think gets people more cranky than they realise and more likely to get upset with each other.

I get it though, it's tough feeling lonely at this time of year.