SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you go to the gym?
Yes 6 18.75%
No 14 43.75%
No, but I've been in the past 8 25.00%
No, but I'm considering joking 5 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd January 2023, 22:36

Default Do you go to the gym?

A gym is opening up near me and it's a fairly cheap monthly payment, so I was thinking of joining.

Does anyone here go to a gym?
Would you recommend going to a gym? Do you think working out at home is better?
What's it like to join?

I get myself worked up about new experiences because I can't imagine things i haven't experienced, so I wondered if anyone is able to take the time to share their experience of joining the gym? In particular, I'm worried about the induction part of it - I worry that they'll watch me run on the treadmill or use the equipment and tell me i'm rubbish. "DROP AND GOVE ME 20," sort of thing.

Thank you in advance.

(Yes, I do realise that I'm a January cliche I do plan on going all year because the amount of anxiety it will cause me to join up ... I'll want that to be worth something!)
Old 2nd January 2023, 22:47

Default Re: Do you go to the gym?

^ I have been to the gym. I don't any more because of laziness. I will start again, some day, maybe.

I would recommend it if you feel like your SA is not going to make it impossible for you. I felt completely invisible at the gym, nobody pays me any attention. My biggest fear was changing rooms but even there nobody even acknowledges that I exist.
Obviously the equipment is a lot better and varied than you can get at home.
They're not going to tell you you're rubbish at the induction! They want you to come back, after all. They just want to make sure you're not going to hurt yourself on the machines, especially the weights (I didn't do anything with weights, just treadmill, exercise bike, rowing machine etc)
For me, having a good playlist is essential. I put my phone in the locker, wear some Bluetooth headphones and I can exercise to my own music with no hassle. Mainly because the gym's own music is really not to my taste.
Old 2nd January 2023, 23:01

pahahahahah gym, did she did say gym?

Post on your local community group and there's always someone asking which is the best gym for someone self-conscious, then load of replies ones they've found good.
I've heard there's gyms with TVs attached to them. That'll be quite good.
Old 2nd January 2023, 23:24
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

The only gym I go to is the pokemon gym.
Old 2nd January 2023, 23:41

Mood
Notamused

No, even on a good day that wouldn't be possible. I have worked my way up from not able to do literally a thing to being able to do some jobs and pottering about depending on my spoons.
Old 3rd January 2023, 08:17

Yes, regularly. I recommend it to anyone. Everyone you see in the gym had their first ever induction at some point and would have been nervous and self conscious. It's that fear that keeps most people away from gyms, but it really is for nothing. Nobody is paying attention, they're just focused on their own workout with their headphones in.

If you're worried about how to use certain equipment and too shy to ask you can always just look on YouTube for proper form. I also recommend you use weights, maybe starting with the weight machines.
Old 3rd January 2023, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Does anyone here go to a gym?
Would you recommend going to a gym? Do you think working out at home is better?
What's it like to join?
Yes. Yes. Probably not. Pretty simple.

I mostly go to the free/included classes, which is a range of HIIT, light resistance, circuits and cycling, rather than using the machines in the main area on my own. The early morning classes are usually very quiet, so I prefer going to those. There are probably on average only 2-8 other people in them, except for every January when the temporary resolution people pop in for a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't worry about the induction. From my experience (but maybe other gyms are different) it's basically just someone going through a script they've memorised, showing you where things are, what the machines are for and how to use them. Unless you want to know anything specific, it's pretty much just nod along and smile for 20-30 minutes until they're finished.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:10

Thank you everyone. All of your responses have been reassuring

After a little bit of research, it seems that the gym has optional inductions, so I can put that off for a while because I was planning on mainly going to the classes and they have yoga too.

It's £12.99 a month for the first 6 months. Then it goes to £20.99 a month.

When I used to go to once-a-week classes it was £6 for a yoga class and £5 for a dance class (not at a gym). The £20.99 a month works out much cheaper.

I'm not sure that I'll use the machines - maybe after time. I can't see myself lifting weights - other than a fork with cake on the end of it.

I also wondered if they had showers, which they do.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Willow
The only gym I go to is the pokemon gym.

The only spinning I do is of Pokéstops.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:26

Also - just realised the final option on the poll should say... No, but I'm considering ... "joining" not "joking"
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:31

Quote:
I'm not sure that I'll use the machines - maybe after time. I can't see myself lifting weights - other than a fork with cake on the end of it.
Well if you're going there just for classes, from my experience, I find HIIT, circuits etc to be a bit pointless. It's a lot of hard work with little payoff and that seems a good recipe for giving up. Unless you're going to less intense classes or maybe yoga?

Doing moderate cardio on the machines, combined with weights, seems a more well rounded routine and you go at your own pace. Weights should be considered a vital part of exercise. It's not all about building muscle. That's very difficult to do even for men. It's more about building functional strength which prevents injury, preventing atrophy, burning extra calories, increasing metabolism etc. There are a lot of benefits.
Old 3rd January 2023, 10:39

Circuit classes at every gym I've been to have involved weights and the machines.
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
Circuit classes at every gym I've been to have involved weights and the machines.
Some small, light weights, sure, but they're not really of any benefit. It's all purely cardio, really. It's great if that's all you want to do and you don't find it too difficult. I just think classes can be a bit intense for beginners and put them off going to the gym. I'd at least recommend trying everything out to see what you prefer.

I just think the gym should be something you clock in with at your own pace, rather than jumping in to with intensity. It's all about the long game. It's of no use if you just go for a few weeks and drop out like most people and I think the main reason for that is that people put far too much pressure on themselves to work out too hard. They end up losing motivation. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Old 3rd January 2023, 11:52

It's been found that exercising in a group leads to higher motivation than doing it alone. It's not difficult to imagine why, it's the same for many things. Have you ever been to a variety of gym classes? It doesn't sound like it from what you've said. Classes can vary greatly in how intense they are and the equipment they use (for many of them, exactly the same weights and machines used by those going alone when the classes aren't on). Also, not every person within the same classes is even doing the same things as everyone else - instructors will help the less able with lighter activities and not expect beginners to jump into things with intensity. They're also on hand to demonstrate how to use/do everything properly so newcomers don't need to risk their health watching some videos on YouTube and then guessing if they're doing it right. Gatekeeping seems prevalent in gyms for some reason.
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:14

Quote:
Gatekeeping seems prevalent in gyms for some reason.
Theres a bloody Zuul in every gym.
Always worth remembering...during your induction if they ask if you're a God you SAY YES!
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:35

Quote:
It's been found that exercising in a group leads to higher motivation than doing it alone. It's not difficult to imagine why, it's the same for many things. Have you ever been to a variety of gym classes? It doesn't sound like it from what you've said. Classes can vary greatly in how intense they are and the equipment they use (for many of them, exactly the same weights and machines used by those going alone when the classes aren't on). Also, not every person within the same classes is even doing the same things as everyone else - instructors will help the less able with lighter activities and not expect beginners to jump into things with intensity. They're also on hand to demonstrate how to use/do everything properly so newcomers don't need to risk their health watching some videos on YouTube and then guessing if they're doing it right. Gatekeeping seems prevalent in gyms for some reason.
I get that and maybe my experiences of classes have been from intense ones only. However, like I say, from experience I've found that classes haven't really worked for me and people that I know. If they do for you and others then that's great. My advice is to give it all a go and not be intimidated by using free weights and weight machines because weight training is very beneficial and complements cardio exercises.

The most important thing is keeping up with going to the gym, whatever it is you're doing. It's all better than not going.
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aformermember
Well if you're going there just for classes, from my experience, I find HIIT, circuits etc to be a bit pointless. It's a lot of hard work with little payoff and that seems a good recipe for giving up. Unless you're going to less intense classes or maybe yoga?

Doing moderate cardio on the machines, combined with weights, seems a more well rounded routine and you go at your own pace. Weights should be considered a vital part of exercise. It's not all about building muscle. That's very difficult to do even for men. It's more about building functional strength which prevents injury, preventing atrophy, burning extra calories, increasing metabolism etc. There are a lot of benefits.
Sorry, I perhaps should have said what my intentions for joining are. It’s mainly to keep active and push myself to do things with new people. I won’t be monitoring fitness levels or wearing some sort of smart watch/bracelet. I don’t even own scales.

Maybe it sounds a bit cheesy to say it’s for mental well-being reasons, but I’m Brie personified.
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:27

Quote:
Sorry, I perhaps should have said what my intentions for joining are. It’s mainly to keep active and push myself to do things with new people. I won’t be monitoring fitness levels or wearing some sort of smart watch/bracelet. I don’t even own scales.

Maybe it sounds a bit cheesy to say it’s for mental well-being reasons, but I’m Brie personified.
Well that's as good a reason as any! Like I say, my advice is to take it easy, not to push too hard or put too much pressure on yourself. Besides, pushing too hard as a beginner, or someone who hasn't worked out for a long while, will likely just result in injury anyway, so it's best to take it all slowly.
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:33

^ Haha this only makes me want to do a dance class in slow motion.

“Aformermember told me to do it.”
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:34

This morning I signed up. The gym opens at some point this month, so I’ll book an induction session. It’s best not to avoid things. Then I’ll sign up for weekly classes.
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:36

Mood
Tired

Well done Biscuits, that's great that you've pushed yourself to get into it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
Theres a bloody Zuul in every gym.
Always worth remembering...during your induction if they ask if you're a God you SAY YES!
I'm intrigued by this Zuul and gatekeeper?

Excuse my ignorance, but what are those?

Oh, and I've toyed with the idea of going to a gym, but I've become very overweight and out of shape lately, I'm not sure I could face being even remotely physically
exposed in a somewhat confined environment,

I'm hoping to exercise at home for a bit before trying it
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:23

^^ that's great, biscuits!
^ I think it's a Ghostbusters reference... (the gatekeeper and keymaster were Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver, I forget which was which)
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:56

Mood
Tired

^
Ghostbusters at the gym, eh?

Should probably rebrand their name to Gutbusters?
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:09

The gym? Over my (prematurely) dead body.
Old 3rd January 2023, 18:20

I've always been quite anti-gyms, but actually, I'd be up for it if there was one within walking distance, that isn't too expensive and is a Nando's.
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:08

^ "would you like the lemon and herb muscle rub down, sir?"
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:12

Thanks Al and Mr Nobody

@Mr Nobody - Gyms aren't for everyone and that's okay. It's all about individual levels of comfort and need. The main selling point for me is that it works out cheaper for the classes I used to buy separately. I enjoy going for long walks in interesting places more than anything else when it comes to exercise. When the weather warms up I'll be rollerblading.
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:41
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Quote:

The only spinning I do is of Pokéstops.
Old 3rd January 2023, 21:40

Mood
Sad

Well done on joining, biscuits! I hope it really works out for you

Everything I'm about to say applies to my own experience, but I really enjoy the gym. I use my local council gym which is part of my local leisure centre. As everybody says, I mostly get to keep to myself as everyone is just concentrating on their own thing. I say hello to the reception staff as I've been going for so long now I've got to know them a little bit, and then I stick my earphones in and get to it. I just chug along on my own for 45 mins to an hour* doing my workout, and then head back home. I don't use the changing rooms, to be honest, as I get ready at home, and then come home to shower and get changed.

Also from a personal point of view, I find I do more at the gym than I do at home. I've bought all the dumbbells and barbells for home, but I find I just don't get motivated to do it at home. There's too many home comforts and distractions about, so I end up doing half the workout, over a longer period of time. Going to a gym focuses me more: I'm there, there's not much else I can do other than workout, so I get it done.

Also also, I am quite self conscious about my body (I think I am too thin, bothers me quite a bit), but because I see all shapes and sizes at the gym (and ages: ultra young folk right up to OAPs), then I don't feel out of place with my gangly self. And on the days where I feel more self conscious than others, I just add some layers and still go. Nobody really cares about me anyway, in the nicest possible way. Everyone is just doing their own thing.

Finally, and again can only speak for myself, it really does wonders for my old mental health. It's not a solution, but I do notice I get a dip when I don't go for an extended period of time. I think it's the mix of workout endorphins, and also just feeling part of something, without the pressure of having to chat, that gives me that boost. Just going 3-4 times a week keeps it topped up.

Again, well done on making the jump and joining!

*or however long or short you want - what was said earlier about going at your own pace and playing the long game is correct. Trying to hit it too hard too soon can put you off. It's good to push yourself, but not to the point where you sicken yourself early on.
Old 3rd January 2023, 22:03

^ Thanks for sharing that, Fin ! It's great that going to the gym has such a positive affect on your well-being.

Yes, I agree that everyone else is in their own little exercise zone and focused on their own self-development. A bit like at the supermarket - no one is judging others for the things in their trolley, everyone is busily focused on their own mission to the checkout.

I don't think there's any danger of me overexerting myself, don't you worry

You guys have completely taken away my worries