SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th May 2023, 21:29

Default Medication????

Hi! Does anyone take medication for social anxiety specifically, as a long term thing? I did cbt for a few months and it did help with some of the smaller stuff but I’ve had social anxiety for as long as I can remember and once I stopped therapy basically fell back into old habits so was wondering whether medication is an option? I was on citalopram a few years ago for depression/general anxiety so not too worried about side effects etc just want opinions if it’s useful for SA ?
Old 1st June 2023, 10:42

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Medication????

I am on venlafaxine (also known as effector) which is supposed to help somewhat with anxiety aswell as depression. I think it helps a bit but it's not taken away my SA. It has helped a lot over time with my depression though.

Alot of people do find that CBT is a bit limited in dealing with things like severe social anxiety. You might want to look into other forms of therapy like ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) or go back to your GP and ask if you can be referred for more therapy.
Old 1st June 2023, 10:55

I have a prescription for slow release propranolol. It helps with shakiness, and that can increase confidence. It doesn't take away the underlying anxiety, but I find it very useful. I don't take it every day as it can affect sleep.

(Nanuq - I'm wondering why you stopped taking the citalopram if it was helpful to you?)
Old 1st June 2023, 15:50

^ I'm sorry about that. But it's great you're going to be starting an MA course soon. I believe universities are generally more understanding and supportive now of students with issues such as SA, so hopefully you can work out a comfortable way of getting through the course.
Old 1st June 2023, 20:50

Mood
Breezy

I'm not really a fan of medication for SA.
Old 2nd June 2023, 13:56

There was one med, I forget the name, which is literally supposed to be the "magic bullet" for SA, totally fixes it. But as it's some fairly obscure MAOI, almost no practitioner will ever prescribe it.
Old 2nd June 2023, 14:03

Mood
Cynical

^ Seroxat?