SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th March 2016, 19:35

Default Re: SA-friendly jobs

I've just applied for a postwoman job and they wanted my cv a cover letter then I had to fill an elaborate form out then when I submitted them I got 2 online tests to do. Both tests were timed. The first on was 8 minutes and delved into my personal traits with questions such as 'do you get upset at small stuff and how long does it take to get over it' questions like that, then the second test was to look at two columns of number and put yes if they match and no if they didn't. There was about 8 columns of 6 sets of numbers and I had five minutes to finish it. Unfortunately I ran out of time on the last column so I don't think I'll be called up for an interview. I only wanted to post a few letters not become an astronaut!!
Old 25th June 2016, 21:07

Mood
Crappy

I worked in a university office doing data entry. Think it was the best job I've ever had. I was just given sheets to transfer onto the student database and left all day to do it. Other than that I've worked in retail which I found horrendous.
Old 30th June 2016, 19:49

Driving....I do 5000 miles a month all on my own...perfect!
Old 1st September 2016, 14:39

If anyone is looking for a friendly office job in the centre of Leeds (sheepscar), the company I work for are looking for three new members to join the eBay team.

Working with vintage and antiques the job role will focus mainly on organising postage with admin responsibilities and some listing of items on eBay. EBay selling experience is required and interest in antiques/vintage items is preferred.

I'm posting this here as due to my anxieties that I have had, this job has helped me greatly. It's an amazingly friendly working environment in a company that is just starting out. The atmosphere is relaxed and we all work together and help each other when needed. It definitely makes you feel part of a family where you can feel free to be who you are and be free from judgement.

If anyone is interested, PM me for details
Old 8th January 2017, 00:05

I would suggest getting a job in care looking after people with learning disabilities or Autism, I've been doing it 8 years now, learning diss and autistic people tend not to judge, they also like routine, so the jobs are generally easy to pick up.

You're basically doing what you would do at home, cleaning, cooking and going out for the day.

I do night shifts now, lone working, £10 an hour, it's easy money and zero stress.
Old 11th January 2017, 15:30

Mood
Balanced

^^^^ That sounds like a good job to have. If only I lived anywhere near Leeds!

I was thinking about this recently, and thought that doing some form of tutoring would be suitable for someone with SA.

You could be flexible about the hours worked, would be interacting with others on a 1-1 basis, and would be working from home or the home of the person you were teaching.
Old 11th January 2017, 17:33

Location: countryside in the wiltshire/hampshire/berkshire borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog
Matched betting?
J-Dog,
Matched betting is less risky but bookmakers close accounts more or less immediately, so you only have a limited time to profit. Therefore, wouldn't call it a "job".

My "job" is betting on horses, identifying those I consider over-priced. But tbh wouldn't advise it to others (risky) unless already financially secure, knowing the form book/subject extremely well and (just as importantly) able to convert that form in to chance better than bookmakers odds compilers. Bookmakers still do/have closed accounts, but it takes them a lot longer and (unlike Matched betting) I always have Exchanges to fall back on.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:35

Sperm donor or surrogate mother? one pays better than the other, plus no one is going to want my sperm with my medical history
Old 29th March 2017, 16:09

Mood
Mellow

My dream job Pink Lady. Now I've done the parenting bit with another couple of years to go its time to look for p-t employment. I did that type of work in the city before family came along. How did u get into it cos I'm finding it difficult in a rural area to get back into it....?
Old 29th March 2017, 16:59

Mood
Mellow

I work for myself, cleaning people's houses. It's the only thing I can handle and I'm good at it. It appeals to my mild ocd. Also i am a private carer for my best mate, so if i do stuff wrong he just forgives me. I don't think i could ever do anything more grown up than that. Much too scary
Old 29th March 2017, 20:34

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbeam
My dream job Pink Lady. Now I've done the parenting bit with another couple of years to go its time to look for p-t employment. I did that type of work in the city before family came along. How did u get into it cos I'm finding it difficult in a rural area to get back into it....?
Hi Silverbeam. I'm being made redundant from this job at the end of April. This kind of work where you do audio typing is dying out or you're required to do other duties now as well such as answering the phone. I'm starting a new job in May that's about 70% typing and 30% phone work and other duties. This kind of work seems to be rare in rural areas. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 5th April 2017, 21:17

Laundry assistant, cleaner, night care assistant

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Old 5th April 2017, 23:10

Any good jobs without qualifications?

Old 8th April 2017, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laracroft1
I work for myself, cleaning people's houses. It's the only thing I can handle and I'm good at it. It appeals to my mild ocd. Also i am a private carer for my best mate, so if i do stuff wrong he just forgives me. I don't think i could ever do anything more grown up than that. Much too scary
That sounds great! I like cleaning is it your own business?

Old 2nd May 2017, 16:45

Someone mentioned proofreader. I do/have done that and it works quite well as a side job, but don't normally expect to live off it as it pays too little (unless you've got a cushy number for someone like OUP but those jobs are rare). I also work as a translator part-time. That pays much better than proofreading but is also more stressful and the consequences of screwing something up are much bigger and my confidence in this respect has actually gone DOWN as I've gotten older. These days I just work mainly for one guy who knows me and knows what I'm good at and what I'm less good at and that works out well as I stay largely in my comfort zone working from home.

But I know this cannot remain the status quo forever and I will have to get a job "out there" at some point. So moving well outside my comfort zone! And God knows what that job is going to be. I've been applying for years on and off for jobs and got basically nowhere (I have a graduate degree from a top UK uni and still can't get employment). It's most disheartening. But I know I have to keep plugging away and eventually I should get lucky

I would avoid the likes of freelancer.com if you want to appear serious. They are mainly for people working for a pittance living in developing countries, some of whom are indeed scammers.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:43

An SA-friendly jobs thread is surely unhealthy to some extent, and reeks of resignation rather than any will to challenge SA...or maybe it's just me and maybe we should live out our days as scared, timid little things.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:51

Jobs not careers.
Old 7th May 2017, 00:32

Accounts. I've been an Accounts Assistant for almost a year - it's the longest I've ever managed to hold down a job for and there is progression should you ever feel ready for it.
Old 1st June 2017, 22:35

^ each day is day one, you start from there.

I've had a few jobs, the one at the moment the most sa-friendly- just a small friendly group of people. But, it then makes me rusty when I have to go to the bus and into town and face the anxiety of that. So you can't win :D
Old 2nd June 2017, 04:29

^Be aware that if your medical history shows that you have been treated for depression or anxiety, they won't let you take part in any clinical trials.
Old 2nd June 2017, 04:59

Aye, sorry. That dream was ended for me once too.
I tried to get on one myself once. I got through the first medical (giving blood and all that stuff), but when I met with the doctor to discuss my medical history, he looked shocked when he saw I'd once been treated for depression. He was a Japanese fella who didn't speak very good English, when he saw I'd been treated for depression he couldn't believe I'd gotten that far into the process, his eyes widened and his mouth hung open, "You must go. You must go." I asked him if I could take part in any trials, he said that if you've been treated for depression or anxiety then that wouldn't be possible.

They only take those who present little to no risk.
I don't know how strict they are with anxiety, but when it comes to depression then you will not be accepted onto any clinical trials.

Hey, it's better to learn this now than have to go down there, strip off, get poked and prodded only to then be dismissed.

EDIT: And you can't lie either as they have access to your medical records.
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:05

I feel bad for bursting your bubble now. Hey, if I win the lottery I'll give you the £3k.

But don't bother applying further, look here

https://twitter.com/flucamp/status/3...292544?lang=en
Old 2nd June 2017, 22:17

Do you have a sister with no medical history of either depression or anxiety and who looks a lot like you?
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:13

^I imagine that they would accept people with depression or anxiety onto trials that are specifically to do with depression or anxiety (there may be other reasons but I don't know what they are). Was the trial you did something to do with depression or anxiety?
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:25

sa- friendly jobs : admin
Old 24th June 2017, 01:08

^Ah, it was for an existing physical condition you had. I imagine that because the number of suitable candidates is extremely small that they have to remove certain restrictions to entry. Whereas if it's something that they could test on anyone, then it's in their best interests to ensure they have as little liability as possible.
Old 5th July 2017, 11:03

Freelance translator. Work from home and no need for social interaction.
Old 24th July 2017, 22:13

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina
I get myself into a right state just looking at jobs and I feel sick when I'm actually applying for them lol. I have a permanent lump in my throat which will only go when I take my anti anxiety meds. I've searched for all the jobs you've listed apart from the warehouse ones where I think there would be loads of people!!!!! It's sad because I have a diploma and 5 nvq's all wasted
I feel exactly the same
Old 20th August 2017, 22:54

Hello everyone,
Like a lot of people with SA I find it difficult to live up to my potential, I am a qualified electrician however my SA makes it impossible to carry out the job, however I managed to find a job as a Telecare Technician where I install panic buttons for elderly and vulnerable people, I work from home and just chat to old folks all day! Its worth looking into as it does not really require qualifications, just need to be tech savvy.
Old 20th August 2017, 23:07

^ You have to go in to their home to install it, or is it just sent in the post?