SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Mental Health Issues
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th April 2021, 09:39

Default What offence is this?

I had an extremely possessive and controlling ex. He would stoop to lengths to stop me leaving. He threatened to have me put into the mental health wing of the hospital if I tried to leave him. In order to do so he would have lied to the doctors. Fabricated a story and he would threaten to arrange a meeting with my parents and feed them lies too. Of course it is not easy to pull the wool over the eyes of mental health professionals. If I was admitted they would have discovered that I was fine and contacted the police to settle the matter. What offence would a person be charged of for doing this?
Old 25th April 2021, 10:33

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: What offence is this?

I think it would come under domestic abuse, possibly coercive control.
Old 25th April 2021, 10:43

I’m so sorry that you have had to experience this horrible coercive control, Spidey

^^ + ^ this is good advice. Coercive control is a criminal offence.

Are you receiving any support? There are charities that offer outreach support for people. I don’t want to assume your sex, but all charities usually direct you to the relevant service.
Old 25th April 2021, 10:52

I truly hope you are no longer with that controlling and manipulative man Spideysenses
Old 25th April 2021, 11:00

coercive control. It's now a criminal offence.
Old 20th May 2021, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
I truly hope you are no longer with that controlling and manipulative man Spideysenses
No. Been on my own for some time now. He was arrested but the case went no further. I was referred to Victim Support Scotland. I can reopen case against him in future. Hopefully when I publish, people will come forward to testify and give statements. Maybe I will inspire and empower others to come out and write.
Old 20th May 2021, 14:52

Coercion control is an offence but its hard to prove in court, I could be wrong but I think in the area I'm in only one person has ever been convicted for it.
Glad to hear you have got out of it wish ypu all the best with your new life and freedom!
Old 20th May 2021, 17:20

Mood
Cynical

^ I expect if someone has evidence like emails or messages that show the behaviour or witnesses etc then there can be a better chance.
Old 20th May 2021, 20:28

^ yes, there might be other witnesses too. Also the police might contact their current or previous partners to see if they experienced it too.
Old 21st May 2021, 07:23

I won't primarily be focusing on the coercive threats. I only highlight them to show that he tried to use every trick in the book to chip away at me to break me down. I think the coercive control was his most unsuccessful tool in his arsenal. I want to move on and live my life but I will need a therapist to gauge whether I was suffering from a form of complex ptsd once I left. I need to be sure.
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ yes, there might be other witnesses too. Also the police might contact their current or previous partners to see if they experienced it too.
Dougella and biscuits, I am confident I have witnesses who will come forward. The party. The restaurant opening. A previous work place who will say I was a nervous wreck and wondered why an intelligent young person was working there. Timing of an overdose. Friends who saw him throw me onto the road one night after he arm wrestled and then threatened a man. My own family will say they helped us with money to help with deposit and furnishing the house, not just his. And an account of our entire time together written by myself. I hope he understands that he cannot protest by claiming I was lying and that will be enough. He may be ordered to pay damages himself for the domestic abuse I was subjected to and/or money he owes me, if he attempts to sue me for writing the truth. Do you know how many years it has taken me to reach this point?
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:46

^