SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th March 2017, 12:10

Default Blushing

I kind of got over this but it is becoming a big problem again. Medication and increased confidence helped to overcome it the first time (or reduce its prevalence).

Has anyone tried hypnosis or surgery for blushing?
Old 27th March 2017, 13:17

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: Blushing

Never tried hypnosis, but I almost had the ETS surgery. A surgeon on the NHS agreed to do it for me. I pulled out after researching up more on the potential downsides such as Horner's Syndrome and the fact that once it's done, you cannot sweat above the nipple line so can end up with quite severe compensatory sweating elsewhere on the body.

Although the surgeon agreed to do the op for me he did have reservations. As he said; it's an extremely drastic surgical intervention to attempt to address what really is a psychological problem. In the end I went down the psychological route and I'm glad I did so. I know surgery has helped some with this issue, but there are too many horror stories and regrets for my liking.

Blushing itself is something that gets worse with the amount of attention you give it. The less you want it, the more you have it.
I find a mindfulness approach to it helps. It robs blushing of the fear we have of it happening. So, we don't fuel it with our fear of it. Rather counter intuitively, the more we are willing to accommodate a blush if it happens, the less it happens. Even if it does, we care less, so it fades quicker and has far less psychological impact on us.
Old 27th March 2017, 13:29

Default Re: Blushing

Blushing is horrible. I still suffer with it today despite improving a lot sa wise. It depends on my mood at the time but generally when it happens I just try to let it happen and think nothing of it. More often than not my perception of it is grossly inaccurate. In my mind I'm thinking my whole face is beetroot when in reality I'm just lightly flushed and it's barely noticeable. Still hate it though.