SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

View Poll Results: How many 'outside of home' people do you speak to in an average week?
0-3 16 64.00%
3-7 4 16.00%
8-15 2 8.00%
16-30 0 0%
31+ 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd May 2022, 22:16

Question How many 'outside of home' people do you speak to in an average week?

How many 'outside of home' people do you speak to in an average week?

Outside of home meaning not living under the same roof

and

Speak to as in more than just saying hello e.g. small talk with the person on the till
Old 3rd May 2022, 22:24

Default Re: How many 'outside of home' people do you speak to in an average week?

Lol, why did i poll this .. !

Maybe just ignore the poll and answer as best you can.
Old 3rd May 2022, 22:45

Default Re: How many 'outside of home' people do you speak to in an average week?

Polls are great! If people feel a little bit intimidated to post they can contribute with an anonymous click. Inclusivity

My answer = 31+

I speak to loads of people at work.

And, now that the world has gone mask-less, strangers have started talking to me again too. Every time I go somewhere - the park, the bakery, a shop, a coffee shop - people just seem to want to have a lil chat.

If I have my dog with me then we're guaranteed to be stopped because she sings to people (rooo-roooo- rooo) and they want to give her a fuss and chat to her. I feel like a third wheel in these situations hehe
Old 3rd May 2022, 22:50

Mood
Alienated

I like polls!

I speak to numerous work colleagues every weekday (whether I like it or not!), and I speak one or two friends about once or twice a week. See them physically roughly 3 times a month.

While I visit cafes and pubs a lot to just to try and get out, I don’t really speak to anyone past necessary small talk. I’m not really pushing myself hard enough with that really.
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:12

Mood
Cynical

Speak to using my actual voice? Usually 0.
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:55

Mood
Cynical

I don't think I speak to 31 people in a year!
Old 3rd May 2022, 23:57

Mood
Lonely

0- soon to be 1 for a bit
Old 4th May 2022, 07:02

Work colleagues make a huge difference to my answer.

At work I chat with about a dozen different people a week, so a tick in the 8-15 box.

Outside work it is only one or two, and one of those is my neighbour who is always smoking on her doorstep so I stop and exchange pleasantries, but it isn't much more than a minute or two each time. Box ticked = 0-3.

Maybe I should join a club of some sort.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:30

Yeah, it's a little patchy, though it's interesting already how many have polled 0-3. I was expecting it to be high, just not so prominent.

The 3-7 category should've been 4-7. I did regret making a poll of it as soon as i started trying to come up with the options

I should've added more detail - i was really intending for this to be real life interactions, including work colleagues. You can of course comment on your online communications or phone conversations, it would be great to get a general picture of how interactive everyone is.
Old 4th May 2022, 10:35

Mood
Cynical

^ This does show why online friends and interactions are so important to some of us
Old 4th May 2022, 10:52

Absolutely, and that's why places like this are so important!

Please feel free to detail any number of your weekly conversations - the poll is for 'in person' interaction, but the thread is open to discuss all types of communications.
Old 4th May 2022, 11:47

Mum, Dad, Sister, Nephew (phone or video chat)
About five people at work (again mostly video chats/meetings)
Therapist (again a video chat)
That's about it. 10, I might see some friends every month or so, so this gets up to about 11-12 "on average"
Old 4th May 2022, 12:50

Zero
Old 4th May 2022, 12:57

Mood
Tired

easily 31 +

but, a lot of that is work colleagues,

tho' despite having SA, I always quite like to exchange random pleasantries with people,
but in t'North.. it's not always plain sailing and there's a lot of people who just won't want to converse,.. fair play.
Old 4th May 2022, 19:48

^^ I thought t'North was known for its chattiness, at least compared to "that London" where you're held in custody for 48 hours just for mumbling "hi" at somebody on a bus.
Old 4th May 2022, 20:01
Banned at own request

2 at the moment then 1 next week and then maybe 0 if I move into independent living
Old 5th May 2022, 16:10
Banned (at own request)

My employment advisor - face 2 face - 1 weekly
Mum - mostly video chat, once a month in person - 1
My supervisor at the volunteering place - small talk no more than a couple of minutes - 1

Sometimes a good chat with another volunteer or staff - not every week, I'd say 2 people a month.

So I've voted 0-3.
Old 5th May 2022, 17:29
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

2 - my parents.

Other than that, I see my brother and his wife once every couple of months. We visit my partner's family in the Netherlands once or twice a year, although Covid effed that up of course.

I used to have a very close friend who lived nearby, but she stopped answering my messages sometime last year. To be honest, I don't think I've ever been so lonely as I am now. 😞 I know I have a partner but I think it's unhealthy to rely on them for all my friendship needs.
Old 5th May 2022, 20:18

I have fairly transactional conversations with probably 10 or so people outside my home through work each week.

Proper conversation where I chat about more personal things are rarer - I probably only have those with 1 or 2 people each week (discounting family). I chat to a few more if you count WhatsApp.
Old 5th May 2022, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
I know I have a partner but I think it's unhealthy to rely on them for all my friendship needs.
This is exactly how I feel although, I'll hasten to add, I do appreciate how lucky I am to have a partner as it's something that some SA folk would like to have but don't.

My husband is my best friend and I often feel that I don't need or want friends but to be so emotionally reliant on just the ONE person does feel rather unhealthy. I remember a couple where I live who did absolutely everything together, which at the time I thought was lovely, but when the husband died his wife was quite alone with no friends to turn to for support. They did have grown up children that lived miles away but understandably they had their own lives to live. After a few lonely years and having become increasingly housebound the wife passed away. I have a, perhaps irrational, fear of someday being like that lady