SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th March 2015, 18:08

Default Clarkson.........................

...............................should he stay? ............ or should he go?

Old 11th March 2015, 18:13

Default Re: Clarkson.........................

It's gone a bit stale. The BBC should replace him (and May and Hammond) with two surviving cast members from Last of the Summer Wine and Anders Behring Breivik.
Old 11th March 2015, 18:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I imagine Clarkson as a Flashman type when he was at school . Obnoxious twerp. I've never been into cars.
If he ended up on some obscure cable network I'd be quite happy.
Old 11th March 2015, 18:23

Well we still don't quite know the full extent of the circumstances do we, so I don't think anyone is a position to say whether he should go or not and the 'fracas' may not be as serious as is being made out. However, the fact he's been suspended and the rest of the series has been cancelled does suggest that it may not be a minor incident.

The petition has got over 350,000 sigs by now, but as much as I've really enjoyed Top Gear with the current trio over the years, I won't be signing it, I don't think anyone in any organisation should be untouchable as Clarkson appears to be, whether he's one of the BBC's biggest stars in its biggest show or not, you can't let people get into a position where they know they can do anything and get away with it, if anyone else at the BBC had done or said some of the things he's done or said, they would have been sacked years ago. I get the impression that Clarkson could kill someone and some people would still sign a petition to let him keep doing TG, great show or not, sooner or later he should be held accountable for his actions.
Old 11th March 2015, 19:40

Supposedly he punched a producer because there wasn't any food left out for him. With the money he's on he ought to be able to send out for a kebab or something anyway. Spoiled brat.
Old 11th March 2015, 19:53

That face... damn i want to punch it!!
Old 11th March 2015, 19:54

Mood
Lurking

I like cars, and I quite like Top Gear, but I can't stand Clarkson.

To me, he just comes across as a pompous, arrogant, spoiled, immature tory-boy. A male Katie Hopkins, although I think he has a bit more talent than her. If he grew up and dropped the idiot side of him then he'd be ok, but he won't, so I won't miss him if he gets the boot.

It's about time tv companies stopped indulging him, so I think he should go. He's had it coming for a long time.

Old 11th March 2015, 20:00

I don't watch Top Gear so don't care too much either way, but what I don't get is why the rest of the series was cancelled, couldn't it have just gone ahead with the other two or had a quick replacement brought in (I'm sure Chris Evans would have loved that gig).
Old 11th March 2015, 20:01

I've liked Top Gear but getting a bit bored by it now. I've got mixed feelings about Clarkson - I don't like the arrogance but some of the stuff is good fun. Can't say I care is he stays or goes.
Old 11th March 2015, 21:47
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

'No-one is bigger than the club'.- Danny Cohen, Head of BBC2

Also, if any of us punched our boss we would flipping well be fired. Serves him right.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:06

Mood
Cynical

Sack him, now.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:06

Yes, Clarkson's a prat. The BBC should ditch him.
Old 11th March 2015, 22:31

Mood
Alienated

I'm really not sure why, but I actually quite like Clarkson. People tend to take him far too seriously, and a lot of what he does is just attention-grabbing (not sure what to think about the rather more racist incidents though).

With these rumours that he punched someone, because there was no food left, we can't really believe rumours until we know the full details. There may be a lot more behind it.

But he shouldn't be kept in employment just because of how successful and powerful he is. A similar situation has occurred at my workplace, and they are deciding whether they should come back to work. However, if the people lower down the hierarchy did the same thing, they would be sacked on the spot, with no appeal.

I can imagine Jeremy Clarkson ending up on ITV, just like Jonathan Ross did.

Richard Hammond hasn't been successful outside of Top Gear really (he's attempts at humour is cringy), so don't know what he would do if Top Gear ended. James May has been more successful though (with Toy Stories, which I enjoyed more than Top Gear), so I think he'll be alright.
Old 11th March 2015, 23:09

He's a rancid pile of cow pat. Sack him.
Old 11th March 2015, 23:21

I don't mind him. He's a bit of a juvenile prat but he's not really worth worrying about. Drama llamas are best off ignored tbh.
Old 11th March 2015, 23:55

Hopefully he'll be replaced by someone who is genuinely witty, and who doesn't have to resort to flogging populist, oh-so-controversial anti-PC opinions in order to sell a book. His imperialist era racist slang might fly more on a Murdoch-owned Sky Channel though.
Old 12th March 2015, 15:28

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax Amsterdam
I like cars, and I quite like Top Gear, but I can't stand Clarkson.

To me, he just comes across as a pompous, arrogant, spoiled, immature tory-boy. A male Katie Hopkins, although I think he has a bit more talent than her. If he grew up and dropped the idiot side of him then he'd be ok, but he won't, so I won't miss him if he gets the boot.

It's about time tv companies stopped indulging him, so I think he should go. He's had it coming for a long time.

Spot on.

He's just another spoiled , multi millionaire ,public schoolboy, Tory.

If any one else in employment was to punch a fellow workmate theyd be sacked double quick. Same should go for Clarkson.

With his Right Wing views , Ime sure hed be able to find work as a Tabliod columnist , on a a rag such as The Sun , Daily Mail, Express etc.
Old 13th March 2015, 21:42

Some say he wanted steak but was only offered cold meat. And that he`s an arrogant tory pal of Cameron. All we know is he`s called Jeremy Clarkson.
The BBC have warned him "Dont do it again or we`ll tell you not to do it again again.
And on that bombshell...

Old 13th March 2015, 22:19

Mood
Breezy

Team Clarkson! He's a top bloke!
Old 13th March 2015, 22:22
Banned at own request

He needs a naughty step to sit on and be ignored until he just goes away
Old 13th March 2015, 22:25

I work with someone who says he met him and reckons he's actually a really nice person in real life...
I can't stand his TV persona though; he's someone who celebrates their own ignorance and prejudice.
Old 13th March 2015, 23:50

Mood
Blah

It's possible to love Top Gear but also think Clarkson is a prick. I am in that camp.

I also think most of what he says is just said to shock on purpose and make him even more money. Worked.
Old 14th March 2015, 01:06

They should bring back William Woollard.

...and Chris Goffey.

...and Tony Mason.

They wouldn't get involved in a fracas.
Old 18th March 2015, 21:48
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

Anyone else feel bad for James May and Richard Hammond? They've done nothing wrong yet they're being tarred with the same brush and have no work to go to.
I think that they should just do James May's Toy Stories and all Hamster's science programmes and put Top Gear out to grass.
Old 20th March 2015, 09:36

I MADE the BBC!"

Old 20th March 2015, 11:01

Mood
Balanced

I couldn't care less what Clarkson's views are.

What I do care about is that the producers of Top Gear made a conscious decision to make the "that bridge has a slope on it" joke in the Burma episode.

That was a choice, an undeniably scripted choice.
Old 20th March 2015, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiegirl1980
Anyone else feel bad for James May and Richard Hammond? They've done nothing wrong yet they're being tarred with the same brush and have no work to go to.
I think that they should just do James May's Toy Stories and all Hamster's science programmes and put Top Gear out to grass.
I read that May and Hammond could have finished the series without Clarkson but didn`t want to. Somehow I don`t think they`ll need to sign on at the job centre! Like you say they do other programmes and Hammond has a motoring page in the Mirror but they`ll all probably be back on another programme on another channel if not on top gear.
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:57

Mood
Relaxed

I still remember Top Gear with him, Quentin Wilson, Tiff Needell and Vicki Butler-Henderson - I miss the series being more about the cars and less about the personalities and I think the guys had a much better chemistry in the old days
Old 25th March 2015, 15:34

So, as expected, he's gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32054004

Mixed feelings for me, I'm sad this really will be the end of a show that I have enjoyed over the last 10 years, I think it was the trips they did like the American road trip, or the Vietnam trip or the Botswana trip that were my favourites, but at the same time, I respect the BBC for finally having the balls to say enough is enough and put aside the fact he's Clarkson and the fact he gets in so many viewers across the world, so its the right decision considering what seems to have happened (vicious verbal abuse of a producer and of course the 'fracas') and like I said, I can't quite believe the amount of people out there wanting the BBC to reinstate him as if nothing has happened, he could have killed someone and people would still sign petitions as if he's untouchable.

I wonder what the future of TG will be with Clarkson and almost certainly I imagine without May and Hammond either, one thing for sure though is that it probably never will be as successful, no matter who they get in.
Old 25th March 2015, 16:19

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly.
So, as expected, he's gone:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32054004

Mixed feelings for me, I'm sad this really will be the end of a show that I have enjoyed over the last 10 years, I think it was the trips they did like the American road trip, or the Vietnam trip or the Botswana trip that were my favourites, but at the same time, I respect the BBC for finally having the balls to say enough is enough and put aside the fact he's Clarkson and the fact he gets in so many viewers across the world, so its the right decision considering what seems to have happened (vicious verbal abuse of a producer and of course the 'fracas') and like I said, I can't quite believe the amount of people out there wanting the BBC to reinstate him as if nothing has happened, he could have killed someone and people would still sign petitions as if he's untouchable.

I wonder what the future of TG will be with Clarkson and almost certainly I imagine without May and Hammond either, one thing for sure though is that it probably never will be as successful, no matter who they get in.
Deserved given all the unacceptable things he's done lately. One of his own production crew leaked the N-word tape not that long ago, So I imagine he probably wasn't universally loved by his team even before he attacked one of them

As for people more pissed off that he got sacked than actually accepting his actions. There will always be people who ignore shit that famous people do as long as they are seen to have talent or do something they like

Look at all the actors who still class Roman Polanski as a friend and work in his films (I'm looking at you Jonny Depp), when the guy drugged and anally raped a 13 year old, then skipped out on actually going to jail for it. Or the people who still proclaim their love for convicted rapist (and all around thug) Mike Tyson or Ched Evans (but he's good at football! etc).

The saddest thing about this is that Clarkson will end up making even more money by joining Sky or ITV who will give no shits about his past record if it means they make money out of him.