SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th July 2012, 13:56
Banned

Default Ignore feature

Is it possible not to see someone on your ignore list when another members quotes their post?
Old 18th July 2012, 13:57

Default Re: Ignore feature

Nope.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:46
Banned

Why not? lol
Old 18th July 2012, 14:51

Think I'll have to quote all my posts now!
I'm paranoid now about whether anyone has put me on ignore!
BTW I have no one on ignore.
Old 18th July 2012, 14:54
Banned

^I dont either cos its pointless cos you can still see everyone posts in theory so the ignore function is therefore pointless. Plus usually when someone quotes them it means what that person said was the main reason they were put on ignore in the first place lol.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:07

Mood
Lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progress
Think I'll have to quote all my posts now!
I'm paranoid now about whether anyone has put me on ignore!
BTW I have no one on ignore.
If at least one doesnt have you on ignore then you're not doing it right

I dont even know how to do it, but going by other forums i've used it's a useless feature.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:33

Mood
Scurvy

Its worth looking into addons, for example firefox used to have a plugin I used years ago that almost removed absolutely everything including quotes. (Possibly needed to have their name quoted properly - not sure.)

Ofcourse.. It can be confusing if someone quoted someone else and replying to that quote which is invisible to you.

You still tend to realise.. 'oh.. they probably talking about that racist idiot..' so that aspect is still unavoidable. Its also intuitive to know what threads are likely to be posted on. =p

I dont remember the name or know what is out currently. Worth having a search. I dont currently use such tools as I prefer to mentally block them nowadays. That way I can still report them to the mods in extreme cases when I hear about it. Everything else I just block them in my head for the most part, sometimes accidentally read their posts.
Old 18th July 2012, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubyse
If at least one doesnt have you on ignore then you're not doing it right
Good attitude, I shouldn't care
Old 18th July 2012, 19:35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßazza
Its worth looking into addons, for example firefox used to have a plugin I used years ago that almost removed absolutely everything including quotes. (Possibly needed to have their name quoted properly - not sure.)

Ofcourse.. It can be confusing if someone quoted someone else and replying to that quote which is invisible to you.

You still tend to realise.. 'oh.. they probably talking about that racist idiot..' so that aspect is still unavoidable. Its also intuitive to know what threads are likely to be posted on. =p

I dont remember the name or know what is out currently. Worth having a search. I dont currently use such tools as I prefer to mentally block them nowadays. That way I can still report them to the mods in extreme cases when I hear about it. Everything else I just block them in my head for the most part, sometimes accidentally read their posts.
I'll have a search thx. I currently mental block which works (90% of the time) but thought i'd let something else do all the work rather than my brain.
Old 23rd July 2012, 21:57
Banned

Can it be made so if someones on your ignore you dont see when they post? Instead of it just showing them making empty posts?

I thought the point of ignore was you dont see when they post =P.
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuaiga
Can it be made so if someones on your ignore you dont see when they post? Instead of it just showing them making empty posts?

I thought the point of ignore was you dont see when they post =P.
I think it's just the way the board software is set up. There might possibly be a plug-in that would do it but I don't really know.
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:32
Banned

Ooh hm okay, nevermind. Thanks Poltergeist.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:29

Mood
Tired

I can't see any of this,. you're all on ignore
Old 24th July 2012, 12:09

Mood
Mellow

Has Occultus ever considered switching forum software? I'm aware it would be a mammoth task to do but am happy to donate little bit towards the costs and hours.

No disrepect meant but I've come across other forums in the last year or so that use quite neat and powerful software in comparison to this one. I like this one... http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/ for example.
Old 24th July 2012, 12:51

Mood
Torn

Absolutely!!

Cleo
Old 26th July 2012, 12:04
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBuddha
Has Occultus ever considered switching forum software? I'm aware it would be a mammoth task to do but am happy to donate little bit towards the costs and hours.

No disrepect meant but I've come across other forums in the last year or so that use quite neat and powerful software in comparison to this one. I like this one... http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/ for example.
I think it would be a bad idea to change the appearance of this forum. It works well at the moment so wouldn't risk it.
Old 26th July 2012, 14:59

Mood
Bookworm

Bizarre that a forum that supposedly supports people who suffer from social exclusion has an option to exclude people
Old 26th July 2012, 17:14
Banned

^ Its a fair point however sometimes reading other people's posts affects another persons SA general mood and can cause triggers or justs offend them. Plus the basic fact that not everyone can get on with everyone else in the world real or online so best to ignore them rather than try and get on and end up just hitting a brick wall.
Old 26th July 2012, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris
Bizarre that a forum that supposedly supports people who suffer from social exclusion has an option to exclude people
Maybe, but recovery from SA would be to not be affected by some people ignoring you.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:57
Banned

Quote:
I see what your saying. I've only got one person on ignore and thats because they were ignoring me when I asked something, so theres no point me having any interaction with them.
Old 26th July 2012, 21:06

Quote:
The ignore feature is inbuilt into the vBulletin forum software.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:10

Mood
Bookworm

If I was sitting with a group of people and one, two or more people were ignoring everything I said I would think I was being bullied.

If you don't like what someone says in a post then just ignore that post. To ignore that person forever seems to be childish and pretty ignorant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
The ignore feature is inbuilt into the vBulletin forum software.
From what I understand of the vBulletin software (I've administered a VBulletin board in the past) the ignore button can be removed by editing a template.

Maybe we could put it to a vote?
Old 27th July 2012, 11:30

Quote:
If I was sitting with a group of people and one, two or more people were ignoring everything I said I would think I was being bullied.

If you don't like what someone says in a post then just ignore that post. To ignore that person forever seems to be childish and pretty ignorant to me
Yes, I totally agree.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:39

Quote:
From what I understand of the vBulletin software (I've administered a VBulletin board in the past) the ignore button can be removed by editing a template.

However, if you're suggesting we remove the ignore button, I not sure about that. I don't think it solves anything.
I would have a problem if I knew someone was ignoring me. But my solution is not to have them forced to listen to me, it is for me to raise my self esteem and accept that not everyone is interested in me or likes what I say. Basically I am trying to learn to say - stuff them, if they're not interested it's their loss, I'll talk to someone who is.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:22

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:

If you don't like what someone says in a post then just ignore that post. To ignore that person forever seems to be childish and pretty ignorant to me.

in practise its sometimes a bit more like "if your mum and dad are verbally abusive, just ignore what they say". how well can we just mentally switch off stuff that upsets us?

i have used the ignore function in the past and will continue to do so.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:25

I've never used the ignore function, but I can see it as very useful. It's far more sensible to put someone on ignore rather than feel wound up by their posts. It doesn't have to be permanent, and the ignored doesn't need to know; it just provides you with some breathing space.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:18

If I play a card game online, and my partner dishes out abuse. I can ignore him. Why because this is a mental health support site does rules change? You're still going to get people who get kicks from antagonising others, sa site or not. Allow the courtesy of the same tools to be able to maintain your mental harmony- whether having to go away feeling worse. A website shouldn't be doing that.
Old 27th July 2012, 15:33
Banned

Quote:

Comparing the ignore feature to real life is unfair though. In real life you can see those ignoring you whereas on a forum you dont know who has put you on ignore so you are none the wiser and carry on. Its hard to just ignore a post esp. if they post a picture or short post which you end up glancing at.
As Bloggs said you will still get people who get kicks from antagonising and baiting other members so best to put them on ignore rather than go through anymore stress as its impossinle to try and ignore their posts without this feature unless you ignore every thread they have at least 1 post in which is ridiculous for someone to have to do don't you agree?
Old 27th July 2012, 16:23

Mood
Mellow

@ itschris - What if someone was being harassed/stalked or verbally abused in PM? I've never used the ignore feature on here but believe every body has a right to do so.

It's somewhat mind boggling you think it's "excluding people".
Old 27th July 2012, 17:48
Banned

Quote:

The way I felt was there's no point communicating with this person again. It's not even that i dislike them, just there's no point interacting with someone who doesn't reply to you for whatever reason. Not a big deal, just an easy way to resolve the situation, you click a few buttons, it's done and you forget about it.
Closed Thread