SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th December 2017, 23:04

Question Anyone tried phenelzine (Nardil)

I've been reading about this drug online. It's supposed to be the most effective med for SA out there, a lot more effective than any of the SSRIs. Many reports that it basically cured ppl's SA.

But because it is a MAO and considered an old drug, many doctors are reluctant to prescribe, indeed many will not even have heard of it.

I was going to ask my doc about Zoloft or Paxil for SA, but now I think I may ask about Nardil first.

Has anyone here used it? Thanks.
Old 27th December 2017, 21:19

Default Re: Anyone tried phenelzine (Nardil)

Bumping this as I really want to hear about any experiences anyone has.

Nardil is supposed to be the best anti-SA drug out there.
Old 28th December 2017, 20:41

Thanks. See for example:

https://pro.psychcentral.com/nardil-...on/007785.html

https://www.drugs.com/comments/phenelzine/nardil.html
&
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...ne-maoi-84114/

"Completely got rid of my depression and social phobia"
" I have tried every drug under the sun for my depression and social anxiety (SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, APs, benzos, opiates) but nothing has worked until Nardil."
"SAD goes away"
"Nardil is the real deal. That is, it works."
"Puts SA/dep in full remission"

https://socialphobiaworld.com/nardil...est-med-10579/

"believe me, they wern't lying when people say nardil and clonazepam are the most effective drugs for sp. these are the big time drugs for big time problems, it's like comparing a gun to a water pistol"

http://www.socialfear.com/

"The MAOI antidepressant "phenelzine" (Nardil) uniquely boosts levels of all three - and is probably the single most effective (single drug) treatment for Social Phobia."
Old 31st December 2017, 04:37

Mood
Insomnious

My doctor mentioned this medication many years ago, but noted that there are many foods that should not be eaten when on this medication.
(I'm on Sertraline and Klonopin, mainly for panic disorder, but they help with my SA as well.)

From the NIH (US):

Important information to know when you take any of the following drugs:
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) Medications:
***8226; Phenelzine (Nardil )
***8226; Tranylcypromine (Parnate)
***8226; Isocarboxazid (Marplan)
***8226; Selegiline (Eldepryl) only in doses above 10 mg/day

Do not eat or drink any of the following:
***8226; All aged and mature cheeses. The only cheeses that are okay to eat are: cottage cheese, cream cheese, ricotta, partskim mozzarella and processed cheeses like American, if eaten before the expiration or ***8220;best if used by***8221; date. It is best to eat these cheeses soon after opening to make sure that products are eaten when freshest.
***8226; All improperly stored meats, fish, and poultry. See details under Guidelines section.
***8226; Airdried sausages such as pepperoni, summer ***8220;dry***8221; sausage, salami, pastrami, and mortadella.
***8226; Alcoholic beverages. In particular, unpasteurized beers, including beers from microbreweries or on tap, are known to contain tyramine.
***8226; Sauerkraut
***8226; Fermented soy products including soy sauce, teriyaki, soybean paste, fermented bean curd (fermented tofu), miso soup, tamari, natto, shoyu, and tempeh.

The following foods are rarely eaten in the U.S., so you may not be familiar with them.
***8226; Avoid: Fava or broad bean pods, banana peel and yeast spread such as Marmite or Vegemite.

Guidelines
***8226; All foods that you eat must be very fresh, or properly frozen. Store all fresh packaged meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products in the refrigerator/freezer immediately. Eat allowed refrigerated meat products within 3 to 4 days. Eat allowed refrigerated cheeses before the expiration or ***8220;best if used by***8221; date. Avoid foods if you are unsure of their storage conditions.
***8226; Remember to stay away from combination foods that contain foods to be avoided such as cheese crackers, sub sandwiches, stirfried dishes containing soy sauce, etc. Pizza, lasagna, and other cheesecontaining dishes may be eaten only if made with ***8220;allowed***8221; cheeses and toppings.
***8226; There are many medicines and dietary supplements you must avoid. Tell your doctor, dentist, or pharmacist that you are taking an MAOI medication before taking any dietary supplements or medicines (either overthecounter or prescription). There is a risk of interaction with MAOIs and many diet or weightreducing drugs; sinus, hay fever, or cold medi¬cines; nose sprays or drops; asthma inhalants or tablets; cough medicines; and herbal products such as St. John***8217;s wort and Ginseng.

https://www.cc.nih.gov/ccc/patient_e...ient/maoi1.pdf
Old 31st December 2017, 11:45

Thanks Catlover.

There are some food restrictions, but the list of foods you can eat is much longer than the list of foods you can't. And I read online in several places (though I can't at the moment find the links again) that dietary restrictions on these types of drugs have been somewhat exaggerated, according to some users.
Old 1st January 2018, 22:38

Mood
Insomnious

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
Thanks Catlover.

There are some food restrictions, but the list of foods you can eat is much longer than the list of foods you can't. And I read online in several places (though I can't at the moment find the links again) that dietary restrictions on these types of drugs have been somewhat exaggerated, according to some users.
Good point! Unfortunately, I love all kinds of cheese!

I might have tried Nardil if the combination of meds I'm taking didn't control my panic disorder to the extent that I can hold a job, stand in a check-out line, travel, and give work-related presentations to small audiences. My SA has not been helped as much, but I guess I can live with it!
Old 9th January 2018, 23:48

Mood
Musical

I gave Nardil a good trial after going through hoops to get it prescribed.
Unfortunately it didn’t remotely improve my sa and actually made me worse
With the side effects.
I know a lot of people who have had amazing results, life changing so
My experience is just that.
I tried parnate aswell which is another irreversible maoi and found it
Had a better effect with little side effects.
It’s hard to get prescribed now in the U.K. as it is extorniately priced and nhs
is withdrawing it in many places.
Nardil though is less costly and if you can get it prescribed it’s worth a go
As it could be the magic bullet.
The food restrictions are overrated and date back to time when there was a lot
More tyramine in food. Aged cheeses and odd stuff still needs caution as well as
OTC meds.
Good luck if you try it
Old 10th January 2018, 00:40

Mood
Melancholy

I've never heard of Nardil but I'll check it out online.

I saw a new doctor a few weeks ago (my regular GP was on a break) and she gave me Valium - only five though. I've taken them three times so far when I go on appointments, and they really work! My recent blood test results showed that there's something wrong with my kidneys, and because I'd had a Valium I reacted calmly - I'd have panicked otherwise.
Old 10th January 2018, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky10
I gave Nardil a good trial after going through hoops to get it prescribed.
Unfortunately it didn’t remotely improve my sa and actually made me worse
With the side effects.
I know a lot of people who have had amazing results, life changing so
My experience is just that.
I tried parnate aswell which is another irreversible maoi and found it
Had a better effect with little side effects.
It’s hard to get prescribed now in the U.K. as it is extorniately priced and nhs
is withdrawing it in many places.
Nardil though is less costly and if you can get it prescribed it’s worth a go
As it could be the magic bullet.
The food restrictions are overrated and date back to time when there was a lot
More tyramine in food. Aged cheeses and odd stuff still needs caution as well as
OTC meds.
Good luck if you try it
Thanks for your experience, sparky!
Old 10th January 2018, 13:12

I am curious about trying this medication as I struggle with quite severe depression that has been resistant to pretty much every normal antidepressant I've tried. My anxiety seems better than it has been, but it's hard to feel like mixing with people due to other issues.

I'm currently on duloxetine, and this seems to be better than most antidepressants in my experience, but some of the side effects are annoying but nothing compared to the hell of the full blown depression.

Most antidepressants work in exactly the same way(SSRI's), but phenelzine works in a COMPLETELY different way than these so changing to this has a much greater chance of having a stronger effect. The side effects can be fatal as it stops your body from breaking down a chemical called tyramine that is naturally found in some of the foods we eat, so doctors are reluctant to prescribe it.

I think the reason it works so well for anxiety is that it actually increases levels of many different chemicals in the brain other that serotonin, including gaba (which works to calm the brain down).
Old 10th January 2018, 13:14

Thanks Utopia, those are good things to be aware of.
Old 8th February 2018, 13:03

So the doc refused to prescribe this drug. Wouldn't even prescribe an SSRI. Said CBT was enough for SA.