SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th August 2022, 16:34

Default Having to Move at Work

They're doing some refurbs at work, moving desks and other furniture. I've been moved so many times but finally settled in my own office which is nice. I'm placed perfectly as I can see the printer. My job is just scanning documents and it makes sense to be close to the printer so I don't need to stand there all day watching it.

But now I've been told they're moving me again at the end of the month because some people are moving into the office and my own little office won't be mine anymore.

Its a nice place to work for but I was happy placed where I am. Its quiet and not too many people around me so I don't feel uncomfortable. They said they would have to set me up somewhere else with another printer and the only one I know of is upstairs and I'd rather just stay where I am.

I mean when the woman who is in charge of this told me I'd have to move again, I did reply with an "uhhhhh okkkkkkkk" and she could probably see I wasn't too happy about it. But then again I'm not a permanent member of staff and my job isn't that important as I'm simply scanning documents.

Its just really annoying because I was happy where I was before then I got moved once before but I don't think I have a say as I'm just a temp.

I am taking a week off next week because they have to sort some work out for me and rather than sitting there trying to look busy I'm just taking it off.

I'm not sure I can do anything about it but I know my boss is keen to keep me on as there is plenty of work and she says I'm doing a good job. She knows I just get with it so I don't need any supervision but she is only in the office 3 times a week as she travels down.

I certainly don't want to leave, atleast not until I have finished everything and have made a bit more money to put aside as savings so I can live on when I'm looking for another job. I actually wouldn't mind having a month or 2 between jobs.
Old 12th August 2022, 17:17

Default Re: Having to Move at Work

It's annoying and upsetting, but I would say hang on in there. It sounds as if the work itself is manageable, and at least you are appreciated by your boss. Getting used to a totally different workplace would be worse, I think.
Old 12th August 2022, 17:24

Aw hopefully the position of your next desk will also have some good features too

I used to work in an office and had to desk hop quite a bit. It feels strange, doesn't it!
Old 12th August 2022, 22:13

Mood
Insomnious

I also hate office moves. I always seek out the quietest location, away from "people traffic", and it seems that the mandated moves invariably leave me in a more noisy location.

I hope you're not losing a week of paid time off just because they don't have enough work for you. That's their problem, not yours!
Old 15th August 2022, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover
I also hate office moves. I always seek out the quietest location, away from "people traffic", and it seems that the mandated moves invariably leave me in a more noisy location.

I hope you're not losing a week of paid time off just because they don't have enough work for you. That's their problem, not yours!
Oh no, I get paid for it as I've accrued a lot of holiday with my agency. Its so nice to have time off!