SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 9th November 2016, 09:57

Mood
Lurking

Default When you get into an argument with someone....

I feel incredibly anxious if i get into an argument with someone, really really anxious, heart thumping so hard i can hardly breathe. Anyone else the same? I usually walk away from confrontation as it makes me panic and doesn't have a good affect on my mental health, but this morning my other half and i got into an argument and it all happened so quick. I hate conflict but don't want to be thought of as a doormat for people to walk over either.

Anyone else have this problem? (I'm female, if that makes any difference)
Old 9th November 2016, 13:21

Mood
Insomnious

Default Re: When you get into an argument with someone....

Yes, I get the same way, and I'm male. When a potential argument is developing, I try to deflect the topic of conversation onto something else, or just excuse myself and walk away.
Old 9th November 2016, 14:10

Mood
Cynical

Yes, I'm the same, I immediately start shaking. I've got a bit better at disagreeing with people online and being a bit more assertive. But in person I still struggle and have to leave the situation and talk about it another time, especially if the other person seems angry.
Old 9th November 2016, 17:22

Mood
Crappy

I'm male and have this exact problem. I seem to be able to deal with conflict with people who are close to me like my family, other half or close friends. However, when it comes to work colleagues, not so close friends etc I panic so bad and it feels like my heart is about to jump out of my mouth. I generally avoid it at any cost and find it impossible to stand up for myself. I constantly findo myself being bullied and taunted in the workplace cause of my inability to stand up for myself
Old 9th November 2016, 17:41
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

I think I may be unique in actually enjoying a good argument, when I used to work with several colleagues there were sometimes minor differences of opinion which didn't cause a fuss but occasionally a good row would erupt, everyone voiced their opinions and chucked some f**ks around and once it was over everything carried on as normal.
It was a bit similar to how a thunder storm brews up, explodes and then the air is much clearer.
Old 10th November 2016, 00:42

Mood
Balanced

I don't have arguments just a difference of opinion, and I bring into play all my assertiveness training.
Old 12th November 2016, 21:16

My other half and I have been arguing since about half 6 this evening and I just kind of curled up in a ball and started to cry and kind of ignored me, I'm such an angry person also when we argue. I hate it but my partner made a comment about our future that we had been planning past few months. I'm extremely upset and hurt by his comment and his explanation. All the things we had planned and I kind of feel like it's all fallen apart.
Old 13th November 2016, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
Yes, I'm the same, I immediately start shaking. I've got a bit better at disagreeing with people online and being a bit more assertive. But in person I still struggle and have to leave the situation and talk about it another time, especially if the other person seems angry.
I am like this too, the only thing that helps is if I happen to have taken some propranolol. It's horrible and makes me feel like such a coward sometimes.