SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd February 2023, 02:56

Default YouTube channels which feel like welcome company to you

I enjoy sports on TV but don't tend to watch many series as my attention span isn't great. I do however really enjoy a few YouTubers who are living interesting lives, mostly in faraway places, and let us come along on their mini-adventures.

The two I watch most often are Allison In Tokyo, a graduate student in Tokyo who takes us along to the cutest places and lets me enjoy armchair travel since I have no financial possibility of every having such an expensive vacation. One thing I really like is that she does a lot of things alone, for example solo karaoke, and looks like she is genuinely enjoying them without feeling self-conscious. I think Japanese society is better set up for doing things on your own, or maybe it's just big cities like Tokyo. Also Mallorca Under The Sun, where a lovely middle-aged lady often walks around different resorts on the island showing what they have to offer at different times of year and sharing the ambience. Since I have happy memories of Puerto Pollenca holidays with my folks years ago this is welcome nostalgia for me and especially welcome seeing some of the older summer videos in the middle of winter here. I even enjoy things about living on the island such as cost of living videos or tours round the supermarket to see what products are for sale and how much things cost - it's true what they say, a trip to a supermarket in a foreign country can be as interesting as one to a museum.

Slightly behind those favourites I also like some of the content at Oui In France by an American woman who has lived in France for years now and is in a good position to contrast the two different ways of doing things without bashing her own country but also remembering some of the culture shocks. Lastly I quite like some of the short videos at The Financial Diet, I am on benefits so things about the stock market or buying houses don't apply to me, but I like their approach of spending mindfully and their opinions about which things are worth the money and which are needless status-seeking.

Since I watch YouTube so much, including regular music videos, I have invested in the ad-free Premium version, at least for a while, so I'm always interested in recommendations for more people to follow. Since I am middle-aged I would especially be interested in content by individuals living regular lives in other countries of about my age, more than people who are famous and make a living from their channel.
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:43

Mood
Tired

Default Re: YouTube channels which feel like welcome company to you

^

yes, I also have watched quite a few videos from Mallorca Under The Sun,

she has a very gentle nature and seems very genuine in her attempts to include people in her travels around Mallorca

wherever you like or plan to travel to, there's usually a few trusty youtubers giving helpful information to travellers on best places to visit and transport tips etc.

I quite like DIY videos, I find them quite relaxing, and informative too,

there's a few joinery ones and a plumbing one I quite like,
you can pick up a lot of tips.
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:17

Mood
Notamused

When I can I'm migrating to Rumble because I support free speech and not so much monopolies like Google.

Politics:
Russell Brand
Jimmy Dore
Tim Pool
Alexander Mercouris
Alex Christoforou

Electronics:
Big Clive
glasslinger
Chris Edwards Restoration

Travel:
bald and bankrupt

Stories:
Mr Ballan
Joe Scott
Bedtime stories

Covid:
Dr. John Campbell
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:34

Mood
Cynical

^ For politics I would recommend Novara Media, Double down News and Owen Jones.
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:11

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
yeah, I also like double-down news.
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:26

Adventures and Naps - views on living in the UK from a Canadian immigrant. And she's just very entertaining. Love the food and drink tastings.
RMC and This Week In Retro - a big retro-computing nerd banter fest (not in a cruel way, just light-hearted)
The Tim Traveller - explaration of odd European travel and infrastructure sights in a humorous way.
Jago Hazzard - humorous coverage of (mostly London) transport with lots of puns.
Old 2nd February 2023, 18:32

I love, love watching Recess Therapy.
I don't watch it on yourube, but believe it's on there too.
Old 4th February 2023, 00:36

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
I'm not a fan of Owen Jones, however I've not heard of the other two, Novara Media, Double Down News so I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooky Monster
^^ Nice to see another appreciator of Bedtime Stories. It's a great channel and one of my favourites.

When I'm more tired than tired I like to listen to stories in bed rather than watch overly busy TV programs. You know the ones with images and segments spliced in every one or two seconds and several talking heads delivering the true crime, documentary, story script? Just does my head in...

I'm a total cynic about weird things like UFOs, ghosts, cryptozoology etc so I just listen to them as I would fiction stories.

I used to watch Missing 411 (David Paulide) until finding out he's not all that truthful (see Zealous Beast).

Others worth checking out:
HorrorBabble
Thoughty2
Chilling Tales for Dark Nights
Lets Read!
Otis Jiry's Horror Storytime - Otis Jiry Channel

Swamp Dweller
That Chapter
Old 4th February 2023, 13:50

Mood
Tired

i love anything true crime and creepy.

my go to channels are:

coffehouse crime

mr nightmare

jessie vee

eleanor neal

kendal rae

chilling scares
Old 4th February 2023, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepford
I'm not a fan of Owen Jones,
Old 4th February 2023, 14:58

^ Count me in on the e-high-five action too. I'm also not a fan.
Old 4th February 2023, 15:11

lol

Sorry don't want to derail Aurorasky's thread.
Recent youtube channels I've followed are local related ones like dartmoor.
Old 5th February 2023, 22:28

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellerbing
i love anything true crime and creepy.

my go to channels are:

Thanks. Somehow coffehouse crime and eleanor neal were not on my sub lists, the others I've now subbed. I remember one Eleanor Neal really disturbed me, still does actually. As for disturbing true crime channels there's The Disturbing Truth. Warning the content is very disturbing! I rarely watch them these days.
Old 6th February 2023, 21:37
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I seem to be weird in that I don't like much content on you tube made by ordinary folk.
I'm not really sure why it just doesn't engage me at all. the exception might be travel (or there’s a guy who wanders round some dodgy American neighbourhoods chatting to characters, I quite enjoy that) but that really is about it.

I do like documentaries found on YouTube (in particular old or hard to find ones) on all sorts of subjects but properly made ones.

Really like Hezakya News I find the real footage brilliant lots of it is from the 70's and 80's a little bit in the 90's. South Bronx - the Fire next door is fascinating and a bit of New York history I wasn't really aware off. (The poor little Irish lady ). led me to a documentary - the Bronx’s is burning 1972.

Quite like the 'behaviour panel' discussing various people's body language and non-verbal communication and whether they are lying or not. Everyone from Prince Andrew, Michael Jackson, Michael Peterson, Burke and Patsy Ramsey, Hunter Biden. Loads.

I might give a few of the crime and creepy ones listed above a go.
Old 6th February 2023, 23:19

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSky
I enjoy sports on TV but don't tend to watch many series as my attention span isn't great. I do however really enjoy a few YouTubers who are living interesting lives, mostly in faraway places, and let us come along on their mini-adventures.
You might find Steve Owens and his wife Sheryl's mostly cooking tours of places like Mexico and walking from John O'Groats to Lands end. We also used to watch Gold Shaw Farm, with it's most gorgeous guard dog Toby.
Old 6th February 2023, 23:26

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
I seem to be weird in that I don't like much content on you tube made by ordinary folk.
It's not weird just a preference. I on the other hand like raw videos made by ordinary folk, long form without too much production and no flipping jump cuts and 1 to 2 second clips because I find that sort of production irritates me and wears me out consciously and subconsciously.
Old 7th February 2023, 19:54

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepford
Thanks. Somehow coffehouse crime and eleanor neal were not on my sub lists, the others I've now subbed. I remember one Eleanor Neal really disturbed me, still does actually. As for disturbing true crime channels there's The Disturbing Truth. Warning the content is very disturbing! I rarely watch them these days.
I think coffeehouse crime is relatively new, created last year I do believe but I've only just discovered it. I discovered eleanor Neal last year when I had covid, her videos can be long but I love how in depth they go.

Ooh I've not heard of the disturbing truth. Might have to check it out
Old 8th February 2023, 10:40
Banned

I've recently discovered The Behavior Panel.
4 world wide experts in body language. The watch videos of murderers being interviewed, and celeb interviews,and break it down bit by bit ,giving their thought on what their body language is saying
Old 9th February 2023, 03:46

Mood
Notamused

I find Big Clive's tear-downs rather interesting and relaxing.

Old 9th February 2023, 03:50

Mood
Notamused

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
I've recently discovered The Behavior Panel.
Thanks. Some say body language is pseudoscience, I don't know. To an extent we all analyse peoples non-verbal body language don't we?
Old 9th February 2023, 19:50

I second Big Clive. I watched a great video of his about a germicidal UV light, that apparently really irritates your eyes if you look directly at it Shame I never understand the part about resistors and circuit diagrams!
Old 10th February 2023, 02:52

Some interesting channels mentioned on this thread that I will check out, although I already spend way too much time on YouTube!

Some of the things I currently enjoy watching on YouTube are:

2 Germans in Britain
Husband and wife, Kirsten and Joerg, travel around the English countryside, visit stately homes and stay in country cottages.

The Cottage Fairy
Paola Merrill left a hectic life in the city for the mountains of rural Washington state and works as a teacher and artist. In her videos she documents her lifestyle while openly talking about mental health and the benefits of connecting with nature. The clips of mountains and plants that she captures are incredible and she narrates them with calming anecdotes.

Hippy Highland Living
Stories about simple living in the Scottish Highlands. As a nature lover and wildlife conservationist Molly's mission is to lead a simple and sustainable life.

Martijn Doolaard
A photographer, filmmaker and travel writer from the Netherlands who cycles across the world from Amersham to Singapore and lives self sufficiently in a little remote cabin in the Italian Alps.

The Pursuit of Wonder
Short animated videos that challenge different schools of thought to inspire new ways of thinking about the world and to find peace in the chaos.

Guitaro500
A Haitian American musician performs an impromptu song with total strangers as they pass by him on the street. He encourages even those who say they can't sing to have a go because singing makes people feel good.

Special Books By Special Kids
A Youtube channel that spreads empathy, understanding and acceptance for people with disabilities. Very humbling and inspiring.

I've also subscribed to various Art Tutorial channels especially watercolour painting one's.

I love the crime channels and have watched a lot of Coffee House Crime, 48 Hours, True Crime Mysteries, and MrBallen.

I've also been working my way through the 60 minutes Australia YouTube videos.
Old 12th February 2023, 20:41

my new favourite is these driving instructor vids: https://www.youtube.com/@ClearviewDriving
Wishing I'd had her as my driving instructor!