SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st October 2023, 10:34

Default Halloween anxiety

Does anyone else here dread Halloween and the 'trick or treat' neighbourhood kids coming to the door (often with their parents!)? I try to hide, but to no avail.
Old 31st October 2023, 10:50

Default Re: Halloween anxiety

A bit.
Someone threw an egg at my window a few years back. It took ages to properly clean off. I wasn't even in when it happened.
Old 31st October 2023, 18:05

Mood
Cynical

I thought there was a generally accepted unspoken rule that kids shouldn't trick or treat at houses that don't have decorations up?! They're not supposed to be demanding sweets from people who don't want to participate.
Old 31st October 2023, 18:20
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Not really, I just close all the curtains and sit in the dark for a few hours.
Old 31st October 2023, 18:39

^^ kids round here don't follow unspoken rules. They rarely follow spoken ones.
Old 31st October 2023, 18:43

Mood
Cynical

^ I suppose in London it's probably a bit different. And the ones that throw eggs obviously aren't bothered by rules at all!
Old 31st October 2023, 19:18

Mood
Lurking

I turn the lights off and ignore the doorbell, but I have had to manoeuvre around loads of them tonight when I went out with the dog earlier.
Old 31st October 2023, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs
Not really, I just close all the curtains and sit in the dark for a few hours.
So just a normal Tuesday night then eh
Old 31st October 2023, 20:04

By happenstance I've been out on the streets since dusk and have seen loads of parents and kids going house to house and wished I had been carrying a tub of sweets to give every little group that passed.

But from a distance I could easily look like some Pied Piper pedo type of character. So no sweets for anyone thank you very much.

Old 31st October 2023, 20:12

Since we have some ignore the doorbell posts, always a good time to revisit this

Old 31st October 2023, 20:19

I love Halloween! The children are so cute in their costumes. Loads have been round this evening. It's quietening down now though.
Old 1st November 2023, 10:50

^Biscuits, you make me feel quite the curmudgeon haha.

Well, the doorbell didn’t go at all last night! No trick or treaters, thank goodness! It turns out that, like Dougella said, there is now this ‘etiquette’ at Halloween not to disturb those neighbours with no decorations showing (my wife found this out from our Neighbourhood Facebook page). So as long the kids stick to this rule my Halloween anxiety should be over. I did hear, though, that eggs were being thrown at cars and buses by some unruly kids in our town, but I didn’t see any of that.

Next, bloody fireworks.....
Old 1st November 2023, 11:15

I've thankfully never had any kids knocking on my door in the almost 10 years I've been living here. I've thought it might be because there are no decorations outside, but I think it's more likely because there don't seem to be many kids living around here (the average age must be 70s). I wouldn't give kids sweets anyway, I wouldn't want to contribute to the dental problems they'll be complaining about not being able to afford to treat privately one day, and I imagine carrots wouldn't go down too well.

I do avoid going out to certain places (the nearest town) from about 3pm onwards on Halloween though, to avoid the potential for teenagers throwing eggs and causing trouble. I don't know if they're still doing that these days, or they're too busy participating in mass shoplifting from Co-op, but there was a time when it seemed popular. When I was a student and living in the city centre someone threw an egg at me from a car driving past and shouted something racist on Halloween. That was at about 7:30am too - it was lovely to see people out and about enjoying the festivities so early in the morning.
Old 1st November 2023, 11:45

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco

Well, the doorbell didn’t go at all last night! No trick or treaters, thank goodness! It turns out that, like Dougella said, there is now this ‘etiquette’ at Halloween not to disturb those neighbours with no decorations showing (my wife found this out from our Neighbourhood Facebook page). So as long the kids stick to this rule my Halloween anxiety should be over. I did hear, though, that eggs were being thrown at cars and buses by some unruly kids in our town, but I didn’t see any of that.

Ah, good the message has got around and you can hopefully have less anxiety around Halloween now. Shame about the eggs thrown at cars and buses though
Old 1st November 2023, 13:08

^Yep that's one day in the calendar I can maybe cross off my anxiety list.
Old 1st November 2023, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco

Haha nooo. It seems like most sauk-ers aren't fans of Halloween!

I think it's because I loved it so much as a child - dressing up, having strategy meetings with my friends prior to the night and planning routes, remembering the best houses from previous years etc.
Old 1st November 2023, 19:48

No one seems to knock where I live but I think thats because Im on the 3rd floor.
I went past a house and it waw lovely...really decorated and creative. I dont bother with decorations at Halloween or at Christmas. It just seens a bit pointless now. But I do admire people who really make an effort ...
Old 1st November 2023, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
threw an egg at me from a car driving past and shouted something racist on Halloween. That was at about 7:30am too - it was lovely to see people out and about enjoying the festivities so early in the morning.
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:57

I was always trying to make Halloween happen as a kid so I'm happy for them. Unless they start doing the tricks of course. I only got Halloween out of my system as an adult when we had a party with decorations and dressing up and stuff. This year I celebrated by growing munchkin pumpkins cos I thought it would cool and it does but now I've got quite a lot to eat.
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:07

Mood
Alienated

Honestly, I’d happily see Halloween just banned. What’s the point of it? My 96 year old neighbour had eggs thrown at her house. What’s the ****ing point of that?

Why can’t we celebrate the more tradtional side of it? In Eastern Europe everyone goes to their family’s graves and light candles and celebrate their life. In this country, most people couldn’t give a ****. This country just feels so ****ing fake,
Old 4th November 2023, 00:11

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzEib...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Old 4th November 2023, 01:16

I was upset that on Halloween the film 'Halloween' was nowhere to be found in the TV schedules.