Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th January 2012, 12:56
Tricky11

Default Bird's nest on roof problem?

I think I have a birds nest on my roof.
I can hear what sounds like movement on my roof, and sometimes I can hear bird noises (cooing), so I am assuming there is a birds nest on my roof.

I don't mind this, except the movement by the birds at night keeps me awake and stops me from falling asleep. I can hear them pretty much all night

How do I resolve this problem?

I haven't got a big ladder that will reach my roof, so I can't do it myself, and I don't know anyone with a big ladder, oh wait.... I don't know anyone.

Should I call animal control, RSPCA or something?

Thanks.

(I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread, so feel free to move it to the appropriate room )
Old 5th January 2012, 14:02

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: Bird's nest on roof problem?

Birds don't really nest at this time of year. They don't tend to start until springtime. I suspect they are roosting for the night rather than nesting. Not that this makes any difference to your sleep, of course.

I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Can you identify exactly where they are roosting? Birds will roost on ledges and in crevices, and some of these can be blocked off with chicken wire or there are rows of spikes you can put on ledges so they move on. That requires someone to get up there to do the job though, and no doubt some expense to you.

If they are actually getting into the loft space to roost maybe you could get up there from inside the house and block up and points of entry.

Sorry if that's not much help. I hope you get it sorted.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:18

My brother had a pigeon stuck down their chimney. Had to get the council to take out the gas fire. It flew out into the living room leaving black soot everywhere
Old 5th January 2012, 14:23

we used to have this problem and installed high frequency device in the electrical socket and now we have no problem
Old 5th January 2012, 14:29

Mood
Alienated

gah!

i used to post here a few months back about something similar

my bedroom is a loft conversion (its a bungalow) so the roof slopes down at the sides and then each side is only a few feet tall so they put small doors on each side of the room that run the length of the house that act as our "lofts"

anyway i think one of the roof tiles in next doors (semi detached) has been lifted up a bit, bloody birds were getting in! i thought it was rats or something as i could constantly hear scratching and other various noises until one day i was outside and spotted this cheeky bugger calmly fly up to the gutter outside and just walk on in like it was some open bloody hotel

i think the high frequency thing might work ^ we looked at finding some paint or something that would put them off flying in, but never actually got round to doing it..but as our problem is just a small hole in the roof and yours sounds like the whole roof it might be better off with the electronic device

absoulute pain in the arse at 3-4am and you start hearing scratching noises..it got to the point i didnt want to sleep up here...its been a while since ive heard anything though
Old 5th January 2012, 14:32

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
My brother had a pigeon stuck down their chimney. Had to get the council to take out the gas fire. It flew out into the living room leaving black soot everywhere
That happened to my ex-girlfriend a few times. She lived in a flat in a big detached house which had a fireplace in the bedroom. I'd blocked this off to keep the room warm but a number of pigeons and starlings fell down the chimney over the years. Guess who had to get them out.

Worst of all though, one time a massive rat got in there via the wall and ceiling cavities. We got pest control to sort that one. The guy in the next flat kept rabbits in the garden and the rat had apparently been attracted by the food and decided to make itself at home in the house too. I remember us lying in bed one Sunday morning and hearing the rat scramble down the wall cavity and into the fireplace. It would then bang and scratch on the insulation board I'd put over the fireplace.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:33
Banned

I have the same problem. I can hear them outside and think they have nested under the guttering. I hear them everyday around 8am with scratching and cooing. I read that you are not allowed to get rid of the nest if its a protected species but have to wait till the nest is empty when all the birds have flown the nest so to speak and then get rid of it.
Im assuming they are pigeons at this time of the yr and i think im allowed to get rid of them anyway if they are pigeons as they are classed as a pest/vermin whatever.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:21
Tricky11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
Birds don't really nest at this time of year. They don't tend to start until springtime.
Yeah I've been doing a bit of research, and I've read that they nest in springtime too.
I'm starting to doubt if it is birds after all. I contacted a few pest control company's, and they think it's either rats or squirrels in my loft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica
Sorry if that's not much help. I hope you get it sorted.
No worries, you have helped, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
absoulute pain in the arse at 3-4am and you start hearing scratching noises..
I was just wondering if the noise are coming from birds, would I be hearing them only after 2am? I thought they would be asleep. The noise is like small foot steps, i swear some of them are wearing clogs, lol.
I'm swaying towards the idea that they are rats in my loft, which makes sense as to why im hearing them after 2am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
I read that you are not allowed to get rid of the nest if its a protected species but have to wait till the nest is empty when all the birds have flown the nest so to speak and then get rid of it.
Yeah I found that out too.