SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th April 2023, 08:42

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: On a personal level, does climate change/global warming concern you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
All zombies need a back story.
Fair point
Old 28th April 2023, 22:42

Default Re: On a personal level, does climate change/global warming concern you?

I follow Twitter feeds and climate scientists are really concerned. Records breaking everywhere at the moment. Oceans warmer than predicted to be. They’re evening saying it could be 29C here next week, 15C above normal average this time of year. Humans have broke the Earth.
Old 29th April 2023, 00:40

Mood
Breezy

Are there any good books on the climate change crisis?
Old 29th April 2023, 07:14

I don’t really know any. I have one called ‘how much carbon is a banana or something’, says the carbon footprints of everything. Things like a English breakfast can have a higher carbon footprint than driving a car 5 miles. Which is interesting.
Old 29th April 2023, 07:37

^ that's got me wondering what the carbon footprint of producing a book about carbon footprints would be...

Quote:
For the US alone, the publishing industry uses around 32 million trees in order to produce books each year. Globally, the production process itself emits more than 40 million metric tons of CO2.
Old 29th April 2023, 08:23

interesting but hard to derive much from that
Old 29th April 2023, 09:26

Soon "masks for breathing" will be a thing, and clean air will be only available for those who can afford it.
Old 30th April 2023, 15:02

I suppose if animals, insects were a little smarter, they wouldn't hesitate to work together to wipe the human race off the face of the planet.
Old 8th May 2023, 23:00

Mood
Tired

Doesn't bother me at all
Old 16th May 2023, 20:30

The most frightening thing is mass migration. It could happen on such a scale that it totally destabilise society. Europe is especially vulnerable. Right on Europe’s doorstep we have Africa, which has the highest birth rate in the world. In fact, Africa’s birth rate is so high their population is going to double by 2050. African women still have five children, on average. In some African countries it’s seven. When climate change gets worse, that booming young African population will head north and swamp Europe.
Old 17th May 2023, 22:08

Yes, but do I want an uber shitty quality of life to keep things from getting too bad too quickly? Nope. Plus I'm pretty jaded.
Pronatalism is something I will never understand. It seems like a good thing to top out at 10 billion. The transition is going to be tricky. Keeping people healthy for longer will become more important.
In terms of demographics, there's an economic element and a cultural element. Some do fear the loss of their culture, and is that not quite normal?