SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 19th January 2013, 20:15

Mood
Gloomy

Default Re: Small things that annoy you (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider
Sneezing!

It can put my back out :/
I enjoy a good sneeze.

I don't know if it's a small annoying thing, but I hate americanisms. And text speak (but that could be an age thing )
Old 19th January 2013, 20:16
Banned

Mood
Goofy

Finger cracking & gobbing (spitting)
Old 19th January 2013, 20:17

People should not complain about snow coivered roads/ice

i mean if i can bike on ice and snow covered roads (ones which not been gritted) on a frigging road bike with super thin wheels and not fall off i dont see a problem driving a car with 4 wheels.
Old 19th January 2013, 20:19

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerbomb
Finger cracking & gobbing (spitting)
Arrrggghhhh! Defo!
Old 19th January 2013, 20:21

Mood
Fine

When people do not replace the toilet roll on the holder if it's empty, very annoying and lazy!!
Old 19th January 2013, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_fusion-lqx

i mean if i can bike on ice and snow covered roads (ones which not been gritted) on a frigging road bike with super thin wheels and not fall off i dont see a problem driving a car with 4 wheels.
The wider the tyres the more likely it is to get stuck. My old car cut right through it, not the one I drive now though, wheels were spinning yesterday. Last year I got stuck on a hill and had to call my dad to show me how my car worked.
Old 19th January 2013, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_fusion-lqx

Thought you said your mum's Mini was wheel-spinning the other day?
Old 20th January 2013, 03:01

Mood
Scurvy

Old 20th January 2013, 08:26

How every apartment I've lived in has had malfunctioning radiators. My radiator isn't working right now and my housemate took my electric heater so I'm cold. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi20
When people do not replace the toilet roll on the holder if it's empty, very annoying and lazy!!
Yeah, it's not like it's difficult. lol On top of doing this, my housemate often throws the empty roll on the floor... as if it'll crawl to the recycling bin on its own.
Old 20th January 2013, 08:41

Mood
Bored

People who don't know how to drive in the snow. There's just no excuse for it. You don't have to do anything different, unless you have a big RWD car with a torque-y engine and no traction control, a car with a huge laggy turbo that you don't understand properly, or your tyres are either completely worn out or barely road legal to begin with – if none of those things apply to you, then you're probably driving too recklessly anyway, and shouldn't be allowed on the roads at all in any conditions.
Old 20th January 2013, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
People who don't know how to drive in the snow. There's just no excuse for it. You don't have to do anything different, unless you have a big RWD car with a torque-y engine and no traction control, a car with a huge laggy turbo that you don't understand properly, or your tyres are either completely worn out or barely road legal to begin with – if none of those things apply to you, then you're probably driving too recklessly anyway, and shouldn't be allowed on the roads at all in any conditions.
Nope. I drive a civic, there's nothing wrong with the tyres. If this snow gets any worse there's no way it's going uphill.
Old 20th January 2013, 14:22

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens
How every apartment I've lived in has had malfunctioning radiators. My radiator isn't working right now and my housemate took my electric heater so I'm cold. -_-

radiators in general are annoying. god, i miss forced-air heating and well-insulated buildings.

thank goodness for my slanket right now
Old 20th January 2013, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi
radiators in general are annoying. god, i miss forced-air heating and well-insulated buildings.
I prefer radiators (when they're working) to warm air heating, as that tends to blow the dust around and can make a place very dry if the humidifier isn't set up right. Underfloor is the king of the central heating systems, imo.

But yes, the general state of UK housing, particularly rental accommodation, is woeful in comparison to that of similar countries
Old 20th January 2013, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi
god, i miss forced-air heating and well-insulated buildings.
Yes!! Me too... and the windows in my current apartment are so bad, I can feel a breeze while sitting on my bed.
Old 20th January 2013, 15:20

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Yes you do have to drive differently. If you don't you will die. Problem is in this country we don't get snow that often so we aren't used to it. It isn't that uncommon that the average driver doesn't know how to steer into a skid and will do silly things like hit the accelerator to get out of one or even worse brake. Do they teach you how to deal with skids in driving lessons? No. I've done defensive driving courses and they don't teach you either but the average driver in sweden is more than capable of driving competently in ice and snow. People aren't used to losing traction so they don't know how to drive in these conditions.

I drive a large torquey RWD car and it's embarrassing watching little FWD cars fly past me as I struggle up a barely 1 in 20 incline. My tyres are perfectly road legal and I know how to drive ok in snow. One thing I am seriously considering is buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. It might be expensive but my car is almost unusable in ice and snow. On the continent winter tyres are common but over here it seems that most people don't even know what they are for. Case in point a guy a work sneers when I mention getting some because as he said 'how often do we get snow?' That just shows his ignorance. I can't be bothered to explain the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres
Old 20th January 2013, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
Yes you do have to drive differently. If you don't you will die. Problem is in this country we don't get snow that often so we aren't used to it. It isn't that uncommon that the average driver doesn't know how to steer into a skid and will do silly things like hit the accelerator to get out of one or even worse brake. Do they teach you how to deal with skids in driving lessons? No. I've done defensive driving courses and they don't teach you either but the average driver in sweden is more than capable of driving competently in ice and snow. People aren't used to losing traction so they don't know how to drive in these conditions.

I drive a large torquey RWD car and it's embarrassing watching little FWD cars fly past me as I struggle up a barely 1 in 20 incline. My tyres are perfectly road legal and I know how to drive ok in snow. One thing I am seriously considering is buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. It might be expensive but my car is almost unusable in ice and snow. On the continent winter tyres are common but over here it seems that most people don't even know what they are for. Case in point a guy a work sneers when I mention getting some because as he said 'how often do we get snow?' That just shows his ignorance. I can't be bothered to explain the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres
Quote:

I drive a large torquey RWD car with wide tyres and it's embarrassing watching little FWD cars fly past me as I struggle up a barely 1 in 20 incline. My tyres are perfectly road legal and I know how to drive ok in snow. One thing I am seriously considering is buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. It might be expensive but my car is almost unusable in ice and snow. On the continent winter tyres are common but over here it seems that most people don't even know what they are for. Case in point a guy a work sneers when I mention getting some because as he said 'how often do we get snow?' That just shows his ignorance. I can't be bothered to explain the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres
Quote:
Yes you do have to drive differently. If you don't you will die. Problem is in this country we don't get snow that often so we aren't used to it. It isn't that uncommon that the average driver doesn't know how to steer into a skid and will do silly things like hit the accelerator to get out of one or even worse brake. Do they teach you how to deal with skids in driving lessons? No. I've done defensive driving courses and they don't teach you either but the average driver in say Sweden is more than capable of driving competently in ice and snow. People aren't used to losing traction so they don't know how to drive in these conditions.

I drive a large torquey RWD car with wide tyres and it's embarrassing watching little FWD cars fly past me as I struggle up a barely 1 in 20 incline. My tyres are perfectly road legal and I know how to drive ok in snow. One thing I am seriously considering is buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. It might be expensive but my car is almost unusable in ice and snow. On the continent winter tyres are common but over here it seems that most people don't even know what they are for. Case in point a guy a work sneers when I mention getting some because as he said 'how often do we get snow?' That just shows his ignorance. I can't be bothered to explain the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres
Quote:
Yes you do have to drive differently. If you don't you will die. Problem is in this country we don't get snow that often so we aren't used to it. It isn't that uncommon that the average driver doesn't know how to steer into a skid and will do silly things like hit the accelerator to get out of one or even worse brake. Do they teach you how to deal with skids in driving lessons? No. I've done defensive driving courses and they don't teach you either but the average driver in say Sweden is more than capable of driving competently in ice and snow. People aren't used to losing traction so they don't know how to drive in these conditions.

I drive a large torquey RWD car with wide tyres and it's embarrassing watching little FWD cars fly past me as I struggle up a barely 1 in 20 incline. My tyres are perfectly road legal and I know how to drive ok in snow. One thing I am seriously considering is buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. It might be expensive but my car is almost unusable in ice and snow.

On the continent winter tyres are common but over here it seems that most people don't even know what they are for. Case in point a guy a work sneers when I mention getting some because as he said 'how often do we get snow?' That just shows his ignorance. I can't be bothered to explain the difference between winter tyres and snow tyres
I think you just set some kind of record…
Old 20th January 2013, 16:09

Mood
Bored

Quote:

I'm not saying that you should make exactly the same control inputs in the snow as in the dry, but rather that you shouldn't have to change your thinking, because if you actually have a clue how to drive in the first place, you should be able to react to the challenges of snow driving automatically.

The average idiot on the road just slams the throttle down and expects the car to move wherever the wheels are pointing – doing that in the snow will get you killed, yes, but a good driver that actually understands how the car will react to the lack of traction and how their throttle inputs influence that shouldn't have to change their mindset at all (except for being vigilant about patches of ice on particular types of surfaces where it's likely to form, and of course being wary of the fact that the other people on the road are probably stupid, like always, only a bit more so because those types of drivers are even more dangerous than usual in such conditions).

I agree with you, anyway. There is a big difference between what most people call ‘driving’, and proper driving, and sadly the UK driving tests don't touch on the latter at all (only experienced drivers, enthusiasts, racing drivers, and people who have taken advanced courses will have an idea of what's going on when they're driving). That's still no excuse, though, because anyone with half a brain (which is sadly not a requirement for passing a UK driving test) would at least try to learn a little about car control when they start driving. Yes, some of it comes with experience, which is hard to get in a country where it snows so rarely, but if you truly know what you're doing, it's not difficult to adapt.

Obviously if you're driving in thick snow, you're ****ed anyway unless you have suitable tyres (and hopefully 4WD), and if you're moving away on solid ice, you're probably not going anywhere (and if you do get going, you probably won't build up enough speed to cause a serious accident anyway). Slopes are an issue as well, obviously.

Probably worth mentioning that my first time driving was in a big waterlogged field with a huge turbocharged estate (learning first hand about car control, right from the start), and my first proper lessons were in the snow, mostly on little ungritted country lanes, with an instructor whose main job was instructing for the police (e.g. pursuit driving), so maybe I'm a bit biased (I've also been karting in the rain countless times, which is mad, at least in a proper non-kiddie kart, and when you're willing to actually go for it and not just crawl around like most people do).
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:22

Mood
Breezy

^ I really think defensive driving and skid control should be mandatory for all drivers. I'd even go so far as to say you need it to pass your driving test but then very few would ever past the driving test. Mind you it would cut down on traffic though...
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:25

Mood
Breezy

The cheap ass punch bag that I bought off ebay has split after a couple of weeks use. Really thought I had a bargain there. FML
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
Thought you said your mum's Mini was wheel-spinning the other day?
HAHA oh i am a card lol

my mum though is terrible driver but to be trueful when i was on the road i did a 720 when i went round a corner on an icey road and almost into a ditch

i think i am not a safe person on the road
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:39

Mood
Tired

Touching cardboard or paper with wet hands. Eeeech!!!
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:38

Blocked ear.

I want to put a knife in the side of my face.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:22

Mood
Bored

Quote:
^ I really think defensive driving and skid control should be mandatory for all drivers. I'd even go so far as to say you need it to pass your driving test but then very few would ever past the driving test. Mind you it would cut down on traffic though...
Agreed. Our roads would be so much safer if everyone had to learn some basic car control before being allowed on them (Finnish people learn to drive in difficult conditions from a very young age, and it shows – look at their accident statistics, not to mention their huge numbers of successful rally drivers). Would cost a lot to run enough facilities for everyone to have access to them, though (e.g. one in every testing area), but it would definitely be beneficial.

It's sad that most people on the road are worse drivers than me, yet I haven't even taken a driving test (I was ready for it years ago, but anxiety took over, and by the time I felt like doing it, the waiting list was so huge that I just couldn't be bothered).
Old 24th January 2013, 11:04

programs like peter andre: my life. His only significance is bloody singing a song while showing off his body, and a relationship with Jordan.
Old 24th January 2013, 14:30

Mood
Bored

Clocks that aren't 24-hour and date formats that aren't YYYY-MM-DD. Why would people want to use anything else?
Old 24th January 2013, 15:22

^ because the MM-DD is inherently ambiguous! I always use DD-MMM-YYYY for work stuff as I've seen some cockups resulting from the DD-MM
Old 24th January 2013, 16:12

Mood
Bored

If everybody used YYYY-MM-DD (which they should be), there would be no confusion. I can understand how people could sometimes confuse DD-MM-YYYY with MM-DD-YYYY when mixing work from US and non-US sources, but the only people who would be caught out by YYYY-MM-DD are those from backwards countries (like the US) that don't put the month in the middle (and even then, only laypeople would have problems, because anyone with the tiniest bit of academic experience or technical knowledge knows that nobody would ever use YYYY-DD-MM).

Besides, it's the only date format that can be reliably sorted in numeric order without any additional pissing around to account the format.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:19

Quote:
If everybody used YYYY-MM-DD (which they should be), there would be no confusion, and regardless, the ambiguity is only going catch out people from silly countries that don't put the month in the middle (and even then, only laypeople will have problems, because anyone with the tiniest bit of technical knowledge or academic experience will realise that YYYY is followed by MM-DD). It's the only date format that can be reliably sorted in numeric order without any additional pissing around to account the format.
If everyone used the same system things would be simpler, but I hate YYYY MM DD; it should be DD MM YYYY. It deals with what is usually the most salient information first, and mirrors the way we say it, which itself maps onto the way we construct information cognitively.
Old 24th January 2013, 16:33

Mood
Bored

Try working with long lists of things that need to be sorted by date (e.g. in a shell, doing something to some files with dates in the name or some lines that contain dates, and want to get as much done with as few keystrokes as possible, because that's the whole point of a shell) – you'll quickly change your mind. You might not necessarily want to use it for presentation, but it's the only way to go on the technical side of things.
Old 24th January 2013, 18:34

Mood
Bored

Can't see why dates and times should be a problem, unless you're dealing with FAT (Linux has an option to use UTC timestamps, but I don't know whether it's the default – does Windows still use local time for it?), or the timestamps were made on a system with an incorrect clock. Timestamps can easily be faked anyway (atime and mtime are really easy with any filesystem on pretty much any OS, and ctime is also easy most of the time), so unless the file itself contains its own metadata or some timestamps (e.g. a log) which haven't been properly doctored to match, and unless the filesystem or media has some feature/quirk/bug that leaves behind any evidence of the old data or timestamp change, it's impossible to know whether they're even remotely correct. I guess you probably know more than me about this, anyway.

Also, it's annoying when you damage the guard around the flame on your lighter and end up melting it!

I only realised it was happening when I caught a tiny hint of burning plastic smell after using it. Good thing I caught it before it blew up or something. Just aimed it out the window, popped the refill valve to dump the gas ASAP, and threw it in my drawer of broken lighters – not worth the risk of using it again. Been using that lighter for years as well.

Now to find my other lighter, or *shudder* some matches!
Closed Thread