SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 1st August 2005, 19:51

Default Enquired about CBT!

After thinking about CBT as a new outlet for dealing with my SA, I rang up to talk to a lady about making an appointment today! I feel ok using the phone so we had a nice long chat, and it does sound like it would be useful, so i'll make an appointment for very soon. I am interested to see how CBT works and hopefully see results!

Yay for me!
Old 2nd August 2005, 04:58
kp85

Default Re: Enquired about CBT!

Awesome! Although everybody is different when it comes to therapies, I wouldn't be surprised if you were helped by it! I tried a bit of CBT myself and it helped me. In fact, even studies show CBT is highly effective. The whole idea is that you practice behaviors in a safe setting, where it will be a positive experience. This gradually "replaces" similar negative experiences we've had in the real world, and so changes our feelings towards these situations in the real world. In the case of SA, that would be making us less anxious and fearful before during and after the situation.

Whats great is your SA can improve by doing CBT in the real world. What I mean by that is that if you can have a bunch of at least fairly consistent positive interactions with people in some way, your social skills improve. For example, I'm currenly a cashier, and because the people are generally nice to me, including both the employees/ers and customers, and because its an easy job, its not as anxiety provoking as before and I'm better as a whole.
Also, a job I did before was being a marketing representative, where I would do demos for ppl in their homes on the companys products, and my boss told me that my eye contact had improved considerably! He said when he first interviewd me my eyes were all over the place lol. I didn't even notice cause these changes occur gradually, but he insisted I was much better!

Last edited by kp85; 2nd August 2005 at 15:48.
Old 9th August 2005, 07:40
melissa98020

Yes I can relate because for quite awhile I only felt comfortable using the phone. I still have some discomfort talking face-to-face sometimes. I posted elsewhere about a great book that helped me deal with this, and I don't want to start sounding like a walking commercial... (so I am saying for the second and probably last time) that Been There, Done That? Do This! is a great book with simple yet powerful tools.If you're looking to help youself but maybe can't afford full-on therapy, this is the book to grab. www.tao3.com

Melissa
Old 9th August 2005, 11:03
Banned at own request

Well done and best of luck with the CBT! Must have felt lovely having the long chat. It's nice to have someone else know about that sticky place we're in!
Old 9th August 2005, 11:23
Shallah

Well done gem_star
Old 9th August 2005, 17:02

Thanks people.

I have my appointment in an hour or so. I am quite looking forward to it, as I have had counselling before. Nervous, but have hope yet!
Closed Thread