Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st October 2021, 14:29

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Random Questions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Is anyone else experiencing problems when changing their avatar? Mine currently says "biscuits's avatar" and I can't seem to get an avatar to show. It looks like this:

I can't see your avatar
Old 31st October 2021, 14:46

It's funny isn't it? Jam was saying it was happening to him a page or so back on this thread.

I managed to add one using the tapatalk app, so reckon there's something glitchy going on with iPhones and sauk.
Old 31st October 2021, 15:32

Mood
Breezy

Now i see your avatar, love the cat.
Old 31st October 2021, 15:35

Thank you good ol' tapatalk to save the avatar-changing day.
Old 31st October 2021, 16:11

Mood
Breezy

You're welcome miss
Old 4th November 2021, 16:13

Mood
Breezy

What does it mean by "this boy is like vanilla ice cream"?
Old 4th November 2021, 18:37

^ Calling someone vanilla means that they're bland and not very exciting.
Old 4th November 2021, 22:04

Mood
Breezy

Ah i see
Old 10th November 2021, 22:54

Could I ask a computer expert a question about outlook on my work computer, not outlook.com

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 11th November 2021, 07:39

Mood
Spaced

What's the question? ^ Not an expert but maybe I can help?
Old 16th November 2021, 16:39

Anyone know what UK courier service uses a 22-digit tracking number?

Bought something on ebay and delivery service shows 'other 48hr courier'. This being after actually buying it and it also being now dispatched
Old 16th November 2021, 20:13

FedEx do i believe
Old 17th November 2021, 00:02

Hmm, "no record of this tracking number". I think i'm checking far too soon though, perhaps. I'll try tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Old 17th November 2021, 20:38

^ It came already before i could even find out who the courier was or see any updates via ebay (apart from 'dispatched').

Where can one go to get a cheap but decent tv stand/unit from?

I've checked B&M but they're all exclusively in the under 49cm height category and i want something around the 70cm mark. I've no idea where to buy furniture from.
Old 17th November 2021, 21:19

You can get pretty decent second hand ones from charity shops that sell furniture. They're always amazing bargains! There a few charity shops here that sell just furniture.
Old 17th November 2021, 21:32

I've just checked Argos - there's only one unit that i'm half interested in. If i get desperate enough i'll bite i think. It's a bit ugly though.

Charity shops ... hmm. No harm in looking i guess. Got a feeling i'd be wasting my time.

I've tried Gumtree.
Old 17th November 2021, 22:42

^ you have to find one dedicated to selling furniture. If only you lived here. I'd be your David Dickinson and find you a real deal.

Old 17th November 2021, 22:59

Aw, we should make that happen!
Old 18th November 2021, 10:06

Mood
Lucky

Wayfair have a lot of stuff on.

Not sure how legit it is.
Old 18th November 2021, 18:46

^^

I won't bring my Mum though. She haggled in a charity shop once. "Mum, behave! It's for charity!"
Old 18th November 2021, 18:49

Not sure I'd pay full price for you either
Old 18th November 2021, 18:56

"Throw in a packet of crisps and I'll think about it"
Old 25th November 2021, 12:19
Banned at own request

i'm wondering how on earth people can predict that the rubbish isn't going to be collected for a particular week?

I usually now just leave it to the landlord since he works locally because I find it such a pain in the arse to deal with and it causes me so much anxiety. I have to walk around the whole block to where my bin is and I can't see it from where my flat is, no windows in my flat can actually view the bin where the collection point is and they collect it very early in the morning. I did put it outside the front of my flat when I first moved here because I assumed that would be a good normal place to put it, but apparently people are fussy about the bins being there because they look too unsightly! which is odd because it's not like this is an uber posh road or neighbourhood, it's pretty run down and bad and the place where we have to put it is incredibly windy and runs a higher risk of bins being blown over. it's also just very inconvenient for some residents. seems a little selfish of those that have complained in the past.

so I sometimes put it out the night before, (often risking twisting my ankle on all the stuff that litters the alley over the back as I can't see what I am doing and all the security lights are pointed in the wrong direction..) and when I put it out I notice other people haven't, then usually the next day it hasn't been collected. the area I live in seems to be bad for rubbish collection, they often randomly can't get enough staff or there is a problem at the rubbish depot, I have emailed the council before asking why it's not been collected and they have given those reasons. but I asked them in the email whether they have some way of informing residents that it won't be collected? and they said no they only know on the day and don't know on a week by week basis. I also checked the news and there was nothing in the local news about it. which leaves me wondering how on earth people know about this? like I say, the night before collection almost every time there isn't a collection there are less bins out? it's like everyone knows about this somehow?

does anyone have any ideas on a service to use or something I have missed where I could check? sorry this is so long, I went on a mini rant!
Old 26th November 2021, 03:13

^ I've asked myself that question many times, but they do appear to be (although I do wonder if they exaggerate them slightly at times); perhaps it has something to do with the amount of time they've spent living in the UK?
Old 28th November 2021, 14:09

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by indignant misanthrope
i'm wondering how on earth people can predict that the rubbish isn't going to be collected for a particular week?

I usually now just leave it to the landlord since he works locally because I find it such a pain in the arse to deal with and it causes me so much anxiety. I have to walk around the whole block to where my bin is and I can't see it from where my flat is, no windows in my flat can actually view the bin where the collection point is and they collect it very early in the morning. I did put it outside the front of my flat when I first moved here because I assumed that would be a good normal place to put it, but apparently people are fussy about the bins being there because they look too unsightly! which is odd because it's not like this is an uber posh road or neighbourhood, it's pretty run down and bad and the place where we have to put it is incredibly windy and runs a higher risk of bins being blown over. it's also just very inconvenient for some residents. seems a little selfish of those that have complained in the past.

so I sometimes put it out the night before, (often risking twisting my ankle on all the stuff that litters the alley over the back as I can't see what I am doing and all the security lights are pointed in the wrong direction..) and when I put it out I notice other people haven't, then usually the next day it hasn't been collected. the area I live in seems to be bad for rubbish collection, they often randomly can't get enough staff or there is a problem at the rubbish depot, I have emailed the council before asking why it's not been collected and they have given those reasons. but I asked them in the email whether they have some way of informing residents that it won't be collected? and they said no they only know on the day and don't know on a week by week basis. I also checked the news and there was nothing in the local news about it. which leaves me wondering how on earth people know about this? like I say, the night before collection almost every time there isn't a collection there are less bins out? it's like everyone knows about this somehow?

does anyone have any ideas on a service to use or something I have missed where I could check? sorry this is so long, I went on a mini rant!
If you look on the website for your local council there should be a timetable for the rubbish collections. They might also put notices on their news page if there's going to be a change or they're having staff shortages or something.

There's always a lot of chatter about bin collections on my local Facebook page when they don't get collected onnthe normal day for some reason. A lot of people seem to not know why!
Old 28th November 2021, 14:15
Banned at own request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
If you look on the website for your local council there should be a timetable for the rubbish collections. They might also put notices on their news page if there's going to be a change or they're having staff shortages or something.

There's always a lot of chatter about bin collections on my local Facebook page when they don't get collected onnthe normal day for some reason. A lot of people seem to not know why!
thanks dougella, i'll look into the local council website. i'm not on facebook so might have to give that option a miss.

good to see you back btw, we have the mod squad back to full capacity.
Old 28th November 2021, 14:18
Banned at own request

a totally different question I have thought of and don't know where to ask, trying to keep energy costs down, does anyone know if space heaters are cheaper to run than central heating? or are there any other alternatives to central heating which are cheaper for keeping a room warm?
Old 28th November 2021, 16:19

Mood
Cynical

^^ Thankyou. There are still a couple of mods away at the moment, but nearly.
Old 14th December 2021, 17:34

Are we doing PM Buddies this year? (Hint hint.)
Old 28th December 2021, 13:18

Is anyone else bothered by Claudia Winkleman's fringe?

I know it's completely irrational, but I feel like it's obscuring my vision.