SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 16th May 2022, 18:06

Angry Social anxiety

Hi, fellow sufferers, I have suffered with social anxiety and extreme blushing for years, I’m middle aged now, i guess there’s a point in life when enough is enough! I’ve spent my life avoiding all social interactions , I even drive out of my local area just so I don’t bump into anyone I might know as I will go really red , shaky and panicky and will want to run away, I took a huge step today and went to the doctors, I found this really difficult , so I wrote down briefly how I felt and how I was Not coping, as I think I’d probably be a blubbering mess to try and verbally explain how I felt. My doctor was nice and I fully understand how busy they are , but she didn’t seem to really read my letter , she gave me a a card to contact nhs talk website, and suggested mild anti depressants, but I’dont feel depressed, I just feel really socially anxious , I was only in there for 5 minutes , social anxiety is debilitating
Old 16th May 2022, 18:23

Default Re: Social anxiety

Hi Redface38, welcome to the forum, I relate to what your going through social anxiety is awful and often a unrecognised condition. I’m glad you went to your doctors I experience many symptoms like you and my doctor put me on anti depressants, they aren’t always prescribed for depression, my doctor told me that citolopram is also regularly used to treat social anxiety. Have you thought about therapy like CBT?
Old 16th May 2022, 19:18

Mood
Cynical

Welcome

Some anti-depressants do also help with anxiety so you could consider trying a low dose and see how you feel. There are also medications like beta blockers that can be used to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety. Therapy can also be helpful. Well done for going to see your doctor, hopefully that will be the first step in things improving for you.
Old 16th May 2022, 19:50

Mood
Sad

Welcome to the forum Redface38
Old 16th May 2022, 21:17

Welcome to the forum, Redface38. So sorry to hear about your Doctor's attitude. It is very common now unfortunately. They don't seem interested to find out the cause of the anxiety it's more a case of "Now, what meds can i put you on"
Old 16th May 2022, 21:49

HelloVery sorry to hear you've been struggling so much and for so long. And it's a shame the GP didn't seem to have read your letter properly and appreciate how difficult it was for you. But I hope you'll carry on taking those very positive steps to hopefully a better life.
Old 17th May 2022, 07:18

Thank you all for your support, advice and understanding , it’s nice to know I’m not alone, not that I’d want anyone to suffer with this.
Old 17th May 2022, 09:49

Hi Redface,
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your struggles.
I just wanted to reiterate Dougella's point about the medication. I never used to suffer from depression, but was given a low dose of citalopram for anxiety for a long time and it helped me cope with work. It took the panicky edge off my anxiety and stopped me blushing (which was one of my symptoms).
I think medication for anxiety often comes under the umbrella term of anti-depressants but the dosage is quite often different.