SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd October 2010, 02:13

Default "Be the change you want to see in the world"

I'm not a big quote person, but I do like this one.
Does it apply to you ? Do you behave and live your life (within SA limits) in the way you want others to ?
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:30

Default Re: "Be the change you want to see in the world"

Yeah, I like this quote too. I go out of my way to be as kind and polite to people as I can (unless they are rude and obnoxious of course). I do it deliberately in the belief that what you put out into the world comes back to you. It's kind of my philosophy of life. So I always wave and smile if someone stops at a zebra crossing, I hold open doors for people, I always smile and say please and thankyou to shop assistants etc etc

One of my favourite stories is of the writer and intellectual Aldous Huxley. He was at a dinner party once and someone said "mr Huxley, after all your years of reading and writing, of debating with the world's great thinkers and artists, what conclusions have you reached about life?" And Huxley said "just try and be a bit kinder to each other". Perfect.
Old 24th October 2010, 03:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
One of my favourite stories is of the writer and intellectual Aldous Huxley. He was at a dinner party once and someone said "mr Huxley, after all your years of reading and writing, of debating with the world's great thinkers and artists, what conclusions have you reached about life?" And Huxley said "just try and be a bit kinder to each other". Perfect.
Nice.
Old 24th October 2010, 12:54

I guess the idea that displaying your kindness will influence other people to do the same, which I can see is good. If your kind and smile at people then its definitely more likely theyll respond similarly.

I'm not sure I have enough faith in people to do that all the time though, some people will just abuse your kindness and take advantage of it. Or is it meant to be more the idea of doing things for their own reward, despite the net outcomes.
Closed Thread